Good IP Camera storage calculator

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you guys use for calculating storage capacity requirements?

I'm looking at storing the output of 60 cameras, H.264, 20fps, 7/24 recording, 60 days retention, 720p(1MP).

This is a storage capacity only situation, I'd love to be able to size it within 10TB of what's needed if at all possible. I know there are a lot of unknown variables here so I get it's not possible to nail it. Calculators I've found online have said anything from 22TB to 161TB. I'd rather get a little more precise than that... Tips?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you guys use for calculating storage capacity requirements?

I'm looking at storing the output of 60 cameras, H.264, 20fps, 7/24 recording, 60 days retention, 720p(1MP).

This is a storage capacity only situation, I'd love to be able to size it within 10TB of what's needed if at all possible. I know there are a lot of unknown variables here so I get it's not possible to nail it. Calculators I've found online have said anything from 22TB to 161TB. I'd rather get a little more precise than that... Tips?
Why not just look at the bandwidth specs on the camera and multiply to determine your needs?

Example Dahua Starlight Turret lists:
Bit Rate H.264: 24~9472Kbps H.265: 14~5632Kbps

example:
Using 9500Kps * 60seconds * 60minutes * 24hours * 60days * 60cameras = Max answer in K

Last edited:

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, the challenge here is it's currently 46 heterogeneous cameras and the storage project is budgetary, so they can grow into it. They just gave us a baseline of the specs I included and want to size to that. I found Vivotek's camera planning tool, it's free and really powerful. Handled this issue with ease and gives me the privilege of providing a report with a camera brand on it so it doesn't look like I came up with it off the cuff. After I posted this they asked me to size it to MPEG4 instead of H.264 because, I guess they hate money, so then they really are gonna need hella capacity. Gonna toss them a proposal for a NetApp E-Series with 48 8TB drives for about 256 useable TiB. See if they can fill that up. Thanks Mat.