good low light dome camera?

Cjy

n3wb
Reaction score
hi there, i'm trying to look for low light cameras for my takeaway, the best i can find is the DS-2CD2135FWD-I from hikvision.

lurking on this forum most user praise turrets over dome but domes are the only choice from a security perspective. Can anyone recommend any alternatives from dahua? a varifocal (manual or motorised) would be a deal breaker but not necessary.

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi there, i'm trying to look for low light cameras for my takeaway, the best i can find is the DS-2CD2135FWD-I from hikvision.

lurking on this forum most user praise turrets over dome but domes are the only choice from a security perspective. Can anyone recommend any alternatives from dahua? a varifocal (manual or motorised) would be a deal breaker but not necessary.

thanks
Domes are no more secure then a turret

Cjy

n3wb
Reaction score
Domes are no more secure then a turret
thanks for the reply,
personally i feel turrets are easier for the public to see where they're pointing and seem easier to smack out, i agree that domes are probably just as easy and vulnerable but i feel domes are visually more imposing deterrent as my area has recently become a hot spot for gangs.

That said i would consider turrets if you can recommend a superior camera at a fair price point as evidence gathering/ facial recognition at night is just as important to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply,
personally i feel turrets are easier for the public to see where they're pointing and seem easier to smack out, i agree that domes are probably just as easy and vulnerable but i feel domes are visually more imposing deterrent as my area has recently become a hot spot for gangs.

That said i would consider turrets if you can recommend a superior camera at a fair price point as evidence gathering/ facial recognition at night is just as important to me.
You are misinformed. Turrets are set in place by a set screw. There are countless threads discussing various models.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is probably the most popular low-light camera used by forum members:
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

This is a newer, less expensive model, but it doesn't have a built-in microphone:
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

There is a lot of information about low-light cameras plus where to get them (forum vendor Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY) located in this document:
Cliff Notes

In regards to your "fair price" comment, keep in mind that the image sensor in these cameras (which allows them do as well as they do in low light) is not a commodity yet... it's only used by a few companies that make professional-grade cameras, so you're not going to be able to compare that price point with price points from consumer-grade companies who are making cameras that don't have this quality of a sensor in them.

Cjy

n3wb
Reaction score
This is probably the most popular low-light camera used by forum members:
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

This is a newer, less expensive model, but it doesn't have a built-in microphone:
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

There is a lot of information about low-light cameras plus where to get them (forum vendor Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY) located in this document:
Cliff Notes

In regards to your "fair price" comment, keep in mind that the image sensor in these cameras (which allows them do as well as they do in low light) is not a commodity yet... it's only used by a few companies that make professional-grade cameras, so you're not going to be able to compare that price point with price points from consumer-grade companies who are making cameras that don't have this quality of a sensor in them.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated, cram learning about cctvs, looking through these model numbers, types and brands has been giving me a headache lately lol.
was about to buy some random 5mp cctv kit only learn about the existence of low light cameras which has just been a rabbit hole.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

thanks
Welcome @Cjy

Take your time, go through the cliff notes we've put together and check out the various reviews by members.

Then determine your functional needs, and buy a camera to test it out and learn more before you decide to jump all in.

Remember, avoid the cheapest kits out there - and that every kit is a compromise of some sort.