Greetings from NC

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
Thanks for the wonderful information on this site. I'm just starting out but have read a lot threads and gone through the cliff notes and wiki.
I am starting slowly to get a small system setup, then will expand from there probably.

I've ordered 3 cameras from Andy (IPC-HDW2231R-ZS) and will be using Blue Iris on an old laptop to start.
Using Netgear GS108PE poe switch.

Waiting for all the equipment to get here so I can start.

Thanks for this site.....
Dennis

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Congratulations on your setup! If you have any question, do not hesitate to come back to us!

Greetings,
CC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You are starting out correctly. Read, study,plan before spending money.

A laptop will work for awhile, for a few cameras, but the laptop is not designed to run 24/7/365.

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome from CA. where we don't have to go to the desert to burn down the house from both ends. I'm so bad this morning. I know many good sole's lost their lives, but according to the latest images I can find. My place is intact. The fire made a right turn during the night, missing Me by few streets. We are not safe yet due to the winds are pushing the fire south west. Which is right back at Me.. :offtopic: sorry
I'm using a laptop and it works well, but heat is always an issue. In my opinion a stand alone computer to run BI network is a must. I keep doing more and more ( BI w/10 camera's, Software Defined Radio, PC based test equipment, then surf the net. sooner or later something is going to crash. Save yourself the headache learn from our mistakes. LOL
AMF Mike/EZ

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not found a computer that will do it all (short of a super computer), but I have had good results with building stand alone units ( I call them Nod's). When I'm satisfied with the operation of the Nod, I'll integrate it into My workstation AKA: The Man Cave. I prototype with Arduino and PI's, but they do have their limitations, so I use mini PC's for the final build., I use my laptop for the control center prototype, but it has limitations too.
This brings Me to My point. You want a machine that can do more than just what is required leave room for expansion. I am looking at work stations vs desktop trying to decide, and it is so tough to chose which is best cuz there are so many to pick from. At the end of the day it is about how much work can it do, and how much that work is going to cost You. The difference in cost, to run a 95w vs a 105w processor is surprisingly large. Keep an eye on cost per byte of workload, that way You will know if You if it was a good deal or not.
I didn't mean to jump up on My soap box, Sorry.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting Mike/EZ