Greetings from Scotland ... :)

Reaction score
Hello all .... I'm new to CCTV but have some previous technical sound experience so have good knowledge of cables also computer hardware and basic networking.

Recently I've found myself in a situation with some problematic neighbours who are causing damage to my property but are getting away with it because I have no proof of them doing it which is why i am seeking to buy a basic 2 or 3 camera setup with an NVR.

I've been reading up for the past few days and now have a basic understanding of CCTV but the more I read sometimes the more confused I get about which models would be the best value for me. I like the look of this forum because of all the opinions from practical experience and knowledge. Not sure exactly what to ask yet but I think a good start would be for me to measure up the area of my garden that I'd like to cover when I've got time next and explain what I'm looking for from there.

I've read loads of posts on here now and see there are a few other Scots ... :)

Anyway hello to all and I hope you all had a great New Year ... :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
And a Guid New Year to you too!
Not good that you've got troublesome neighbours.
But if a bit of surveillance footage is going to help, you'll get plenty info on how to do it on this forum.
But don't agonise too much about the 'best solution' - there is no such thing, just loads of different ways of doing much the same thing.

Reaction score
And a Guid New Year to you too!
Not good that you've got troublesome neighbours.
But if a bit of surveillance footage is going to help, you'll get plenty info on how to do it on this forum.
But don't agonise too much about the 'best solution' - there is no such thing, just loads of different ways of doing much the same thing.
Aye I get what you mean .... I am an ex sound engineer so am quite familiar with "loads of different ways of doing the same thing" that's why I was getting confused about what models would be best value and from reading the forum new models come out all the time that may or may not be better for what I need ... I'll measure up the garden tomorrow. Main problem I have is objects getting flung over the fence and going into a fish pond and killing the fish (not from hitting them but from toxic chemicals on pieces of treated wood etc.) and damage to the actual fence. Because they always wait for when no one is in and I have no actual proof ... they just deny it and there's nothing can be done ... I've had enough so I think CCTV is the answer ... might not be able to get them done for it but I think it will be a deterrent knowing they will be filmed 24/7 .... I'm also gonna rig up a mic of some sort too ... :)

I also used to install network cabling so have loads of cat5e, connectors, tools for installation etc. lying around and have a good basic knowledge of switches and network setup ... although it has been a few years ... :)

I'll get sizes and maybe draw a plan if I can upload a diagram? to get started.

Are you a CCTV installer Alastair?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The Big Yin,

Welcome to the forum!
A few quick ideas:
1) Use the cam lens calculator Camera Calculator / Design Software
You can use your address, the tool uses Google maps. Then place cam on your house, and see what lens will give good pixel per foot coverage of the fence in the distance.
You'll want good resolution to spot wood chunks and other small to medium objects.
2) use a cam with IVS features. The tripwire and instrusion zone feature will work better than simple motion detect, and will avoid false alarms from bugs, shadows, moving trees, etc.
3) if it's okay your neighbors know you're recording (ie: your cameras will be visible), then maybe use some dummy cams also. Very cheap, less than $8 US dollars.
4) audio recording has many restrictions based on local law. If things get contentious with your neighbors, don't let yourself get in trouble for recording without their consent. (depending on your local laws)

Good luck!
Fastb

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ALso a good thing to know is what is field of view you want to record (only your private property or will the camera also view/record some part of the neighbour's private property, or the street too ?), and are you allowed to do it and produce the video record as proof, each country has different laws and if you don't want your neighbours sue you because you filmed them without permission you'd better grab some legal info about this.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Dodutils, Good point.
The Big Yin,
Another feature you may need is "masking". A black box can be superimposed on the image, so the neighbors aren't recorded.
However, that might mask the objects as they fly over the fence.
A camera aimed down the fence (looking along the fence) might be necessary. As compared to a cam looking straight at the fence (perpindicular)
Fastb

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dodutils, Good point.
The Big Yin,
Another feature you may need is "masking". A black box can be superimposed on the image, so the neighbors aren't recorded.
However, that might mask the objects as they fly over the fence.
A camera aimed down the fence (looking along the fence) might be necessary. As compared to a cam looking straight at the fence (perpindicular)
Fastb
Masking is something mainly available so it will not be a problem you can easy create on or more masks but you must check what is legal or not in your country and then think about the best way to set the masks if needed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ... yes all good points ... and you've picked up on the main elements ... :)

Local police are on our side and system will be fitted with them involved ... I also have a good idea of privacy restrictions.

I think defo a diagram with accurate measurements will be the best way of proceeding.

Is there any restriction as to when you are allowed to post first image? ... :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Making a diagram would probably help.
But there's an on-line tool that will do a lot of that work for you. (link above)
Let's assume you're visible on Google maps (ie: you don't live in a wooded area, blocking the satellite's view)
If true, you could get something like the pic below.
I picked any old place in the next town. Somewhere with back-to-back yards.
I mounted a cam on the eave, and aimed it down the fence.
The yard turns out to be 10.8m long. With an 8mm lens, you get 295 pixels per meter, which might be a little sketchy at night.
Your FOV would be 6.5m wide at the far end.
You get the idea - have a whirl....

Fastb

cam.jpg

Reaction score
Fast B

LOL ... we are in the outback ... some of the satellite footage is ancient here ... there have been many changes since the last time pics were taken (we actually lived somewhere else completely) .. the garden features I have are not on the satellite images.

So I would imagine relevant diagrams would be more useful? ... :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
alastairstevenson,
The episode of the show, or the clip, wouldn't play here in Seattle, WA, USA

The Big Yin,

the garden features I have are not on the satellite images.
If the fence (or yard perimeter) and the house is visible in the outdated satellite images, the camera calculator can be used for the sake of calculating/estimating lens size and FOV. And as a sanity check to your manual diagram.....

Sure, the "newer garden features" wouldn't be in the satellite view used by the camera calculator.... But the cam calc would give pixel density at the fence line, so you'd get a warm and fuzzy feeling that flying gifts from your neighbors could be recorded.

Have fun,
Fastb

Reaction score
Hi again ... so there was some updated satellite but of very low res so I've drawn some lines to show the awkward angle I'm trying to monitor.
Garden Blank.png Garden Fence.png Garden Camera.png

P is my pond (it's got a roofed pergola over it) ... the line in red is the fence that's getting damaged and where everything is coming over (mainly where the pond is).

This is the main problem ... how to monitor the top of the long fence? ... I can't have camera/s facing it as that will overlook the other property.

Maybe something like the camera angle in the third pic ???

What do you guys think?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My thoughts,

1) Locating a camera is tricky. Some put a cam on pole, and walk around to check the actual view, in real time.
2) Some people plan, then mount the cam, and then move it after living with it for a few days.
Your work so far can help pick the lens type.
Actual mounting may be fine-tuned after you get the cam.

Other thoughts:
Maybe mount the cam on the fence, on your side, a few inches down from the top. The fence makes it impossible to see your neighbors. You'd look down the fence, and the view would include the area above the fence also. It would see things as they fly over the fence.

Similarly, you might mount a cam under your pergola. Mounted on the house side, and just the right height, the pergola roof would block the cam's view of your neighbor's house & yard. But it would have an excellent view of the fence (to see damage done to the fence) and a view of objects landing in your yard.

Lens:
In the green triangle, the shaded portion indicates where you'll have 100 pixels per foot. Less than 100ppf means less detail. With the lens you picked, your pond is inside the 100ppf zone. But not further away (the rest of your yard). Maybe you're planning additional cameras.....

Fastb

Reaction score
The fence is only 1.8m high ... if i was to mount on it anywhere even where they couldn't see it I'm sure they would damage or cover it. I'll need to think more about that though.

Thought about the pergola but again it's too close to the fence and underneath it is too low to see the top of the fence.

I'm thinking that probably on the house wall out of reach is probably the best bet ... so for that I would be getting a lens that would have the pond area in the shaded 100ppf zone as that is where the majority of damage and stuff coming over is happening?

I don't have a plan yet ... open to all suggestions .... :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
if i was to mount on it anywhere even where they couldn't see it I'm sure they would damage or cover it. I'll need to think more about that though.
A board mounted above the cam might shield the cam from stuff dropped over the 1.8m fence (to damage the cam or cover the cam)
A second cam might be able to catch those activities.
Just a thought.
Concertina wire, or an electrified string (like used on cow fences) might keep neighbors from leaning over the fence. But getting a little drastic.

It's a challenge to see stuff coming over the fence, but not see over the fence into their back yard

Fastb

Reaction score
A board mounted above the cam might shield the cam from stuff dropped over the 1.8m fence (to damage the cam or cover the cam)
A second cam might be able to catch those activities.
Just a thought.
Concertina wire, or an electrified string (like used on cow fences) might keep neighbors from leaning over the fence. But getting a little drastic.

It's a challenge to see stuff coming over the fence, but not see over the fence into their back yard

Fastb
I'll look into that ...electric fence LOL that appeals to me but I don't think that would be practical .... :)

So I am looking for a cam that has a focal lens that will keep the 100ppf zone around where the pond is when looking along the fence?