Hall of shame

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not only it is exposed to the elements but it's ALUMINUM which is known for corrosion issues. Should be a nice show when it fails!
FWIW, utility co.'s splice aluminum service conductors and ACSR (Alumnum Conductor Steel Re-inforced) overhead service drops all the time with AL-CU split bolts and NO-OX paste (specifically "NO-OX-ID A-Special").

But nylon zip ties? I dun thin so Lucy!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, utility co.'s splice aluminum service conductors and ACSR (Alumnum Conductor Steel Re-inforced) overhead service drops all the time with AL-CU split bolts and NO-OX paste (specifically "NO-OX-ID A-Special").

But nylon zip ties? I dun thin so Lucy!
Exactly. Properly done, it's fine. I've used the proper purple wire nuts to join copper and aluminum but that picture is crazy.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK...help me out here. :idk:

This is an electric meter box, the meter gone and the front panel for the meter ring pried back to expose it all. I see where Line1 meter in/out jaws are shorted with some object on the left and Line2 meter in/out jaws are shorted with a drill bit on the right, an obvious attempt to bypass the need for an electric meter.

Q: What role does the rusty, single-hole paper punch play? To short L1 and L2?

Q: Same question about the clothes pin?

:lmao::p:lol:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Presumably to turn the power on and off by giving you something to grab the hole punch.
:lmao:
Maybe that was their intent.....but shorting the two legs of LIVE incoming, split phase 120/240 with anything metallic is not going to work out well.
I'm thinking it's an overhead feed and it's either been disconnected at the pole or the primary fuse to the transformer has been pulled.

Either way, it never ceases to amaze me what lengths people will go to to steal power, bypass, etc. We've all seen some of the graphic images of where people have attempted to steal wire at live substations or climbed poles to do the same....most are no longer among the living and the few that are may wish they were not. :confused:

Reaction score
OK...help me out here. :idk:

This is an electric meter box, the meter gone and the front panel for the meter ring pried back to expose it all. I see where Line1 meter in/out jaws are shorted with some object on the left and Line2 meter in/out jaws are shorted with a drill bit on the right, an obvious attempt to bypass the need for an electric meter.

Q: What role does the rusty, single-hole paper punch play? To short L1 and L2?

Q: Same question about the clothes pin?

:lmao::p:lol:
It is real simple. The hole punch is used to remove the drill bit and the other item. This is to turn off the power. The cloths pin is there to hold the hole punch in place so you don't have to go find one, or a pair of pliers.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m in India right now and some of the stuff posted here is just normal wiring over here.

Not electrical but the waste on the sink here was leaking, the so called plumber had just replaced it the week before I got here and he had over tightened it breaking the thread. He spent around an hour trying to clamp the top and bottom parts of the waste with a wood screw, PTFE tape and a bolt. Told him over 4 times that the trap is kaput and to go and buy a new one but he insisted that it would work. Told him even if it did I wouldn’t accept it. After an hour he silently crept off, got a new one and fitted it within 5 mins.

As he was leaving I told him he could have left an hour earlier if he had listened to me an hour ago and saved both of us an hours time

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m in India right now and some of the stuff posted here is just normal wiring over here.

Not electrical but the waste on the sink here was leaking, the so called plumber had just replaced it the week before I got here and he had over tightened it breaking the thread. He spent around an hour trying to clamp the top and bottom parts of the waste with a wood screw, PTFE tape and a bolt. Told him over 4 times that the trap is kaput and to go and buy a new one but he insisted that it would work. Told him even if it did I wouldn’t accept it. After an hour he silently crept off, got a new one and fitted it within 5 mins.

As he was leaving I told him he could have left an hour earlier if he had listened to me an hour ago and saved both of us an hours time
Youtube has a lot of videos of people in India attempting to do things. It always seems like safety and common sense don't exist in most of the vids you watch. It seems like every truck has 3 times as much of a load on it as it was designed for, every piece of heavy equipment should be run haphazardly and human life has no value. I am sure that isn't how it really is over there.....or is it?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

lol .. feel free to share any crazy pictures you see .. I know those in poverty try to "mickey mouse" what they can ..