Hardware acceleration and GPU question

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I run BI on a Dell Optiplex 3010 workstation with an Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor that support Quick Sync Video. Recently, I did as fresh install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool as well as a fresh install of BI v5. This workstation is connected to a monitor via HDMI. I have BI configured to use HA for all camera profiles and as a default overall but I see conflicting results. In the BI status window, it shows the "#" next to each camera which indicates HA is active. However, Task Manager doesn't show any GPU activity in the Performance tab. Does the workstation require a standard VGA connection to the monitor for BI to use HA? Relevant screen shots below... Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your Task Manager is missing the GPU tab. In my case it is the last in the list, after Ethernet. I don't know what to say as it should be there to check whether any video decoding is happening.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a right mouse click in the Task Manager screen and see if it allows you to add the GPU column.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In your configuration what is the purpose of the Microsoft remote display adapter ? I have never seen this in a BI configuration before.

What version of BI are you running ?

If running the latest version 5.2.5.9 of BI try setting acceleration to Intel + VPP .

I would restart BI or a Reboot after the change.

Note: I am still on BI 5.2.4.4,

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I guess that MS display adapter is there because I sometimes connect to it via RDC. I'm running the latest version so I'll try Intel + VPP and reboot the PC after the change. Thanks

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems your PC doesn't think you have a GPU. Maybe try a different version of the driver?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It seems your PC doesn't think you have a GPU. Maybe try a different version of the driver?
Yes, it seems that way. As a test, I went to each camera individually and changed the HA setting to none and CPU went up considerably.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. BI with hardware decoding worked fine in the past but now it won't even take that setting. In camera, whether I set it to Intel or Intel+VPP, hit ok and come back to setting, it shows as None. The 5.2.5.10 supposedly fixed this hardware decoding bug but even after that update it's not working for me