HDView 3MP Megapixel IP Network Camera ONVIF PoE

Reaction score
What does everyone think of this camera: Amazon.com: HDView 3MP Megapixel IP Network Camera ONVIF PoE, SONY Sensor, Super Matrix EXIR, 2.8mm Wide Angle Lens 3-Axis, Indoor/Outdoor Dome: Camera & Photo I am trying to decide whether to keep this one or send it back to Amazon. This is an HDView branded 3 MP 2.8mm IP POE dome Camera that I am planning to use in my 5 camera DIY setup (more details on my whole system is in the welcome thread I just posted).

Does anyone know if this is a rebranded Hikvision (I suspect it is)? Is this a decent camera for the money or could I do better (I prefer one I DON'T have to use IE with to setup). Planning to use this with BlueIris with a standalone PC as the NVR/DVR (already confirmed that is works with that software). FYI - I would only have 3 of these cameras (2 in front, one in middle back) with 2 bullets of another type watching the gates to our back yard.

Any input on this camera is appreciated. Also, trying to decide whether 2.8mm or 3.6mm ideal. Best,
--Denny

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I was guessing b/c HDView seems to sell mostly rebranded Hikvision (totaly noob on cameras). SADP did not find it so I guess it isn't Hikvision (hmmm). Lots of interesting Hivision tools at that link. Does this screen grab from the camera config help (just searched on model number and it didn't anything useful).

2017-05-27_1423.png

Reaction score
Wow - still TRYING to figure out the OEM manufacturer - hard to find. So far I have figured out that searching on IP-IRD3S02 yields more results but there are a ton of people OEMing this product so I don't know who actually makes it. I think I am going to send this back for now and hope to find a better manufacturer/option for the money. Odd....

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe this is rebranded HIK, further more I wouldn't call them very reputable because the images they use on amazon are stollen from LT Security Inc. to show IR and the others of the towns are ripped from AE.

Reaction score
Yeah - feels hokey to me too although this is English firmware. Boxing this up to send back to Amazon right now in hopes of finding a better camera. Thanks folks.

Reaction score
Yeah although I still can't quite judge this yet because this camera was just inside on my desk plugged into my POE switch. In any case, the cameras are on there way back to Amazon and I am currently looking at various Dahua models in a similar price range that seem much better (these cams were $85). Really considering the IPC-HFW4431R-Z to get my focal lengths set properly and the IPC-HFW1320 (3MP) or IPC-HDW4431C-A (4MP). I also like the IPC-HFW4431M-AS-I1 but I'm not sure I want to spend over $100 b/c I don't think I need Starlight (I would like the budget for 5 cams to be <$400).

ON a side note has anyone here bought from Omni Security in China? I like that they sell "English" versions and have expedited shipping that takes around 10 days to the US. In any case, just knowing that modders on here are heavily interested in Dahua makes me feel more confident buying Chinese versions.

Best.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A lookup by MAC address gives "TVT CO.,LTD".

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I got one of these 3MP cameras and they are not bad... But do NOT upgrade the firmware. I am working with HDView to get a rollback firmware because the new one kills the night vision on the camera. Just ordered the last 2 3MP off Amazon from them (I need some backup cameras and at $40 each... why not. They work great. The software is way more basic than the Hikvision cams I have, but again, at night they are way nice.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The brighter pic here is night time with no significant ambient light and no light nearby. The dark one is the post firmware update... (HDView is getting me the rollback firmware after the Chinese New Year in a couple weeks).

For a $50 PoE camera, it kicks my more expensive Hikvision camera's ass solidly (with the original firmware...) Yeah not as awesome as some of the $200 - $500+ cameras... but... this camera specifically had a Sony IMX123 sensor which is impressive compared to whatever my 2,3,4Mp Hikvisions are using. I am going to grab a Amcrest with an IMX322 sensor to try coming up ($80 camera).

I didn't use or leverage the starlight capability (color night vision) because it was too noisy compared to how clean the B/W is.

The bummer is that it seems HDView isnt selling the 3Mp with the Sony IMX123 sensor cameras anymore. Now only using 4Mp with no info on the sensor.

To be clear - I wouldn't trust any of these cameras exposed to the internet - these are cheap and questionable chinese cameras in terms of firmware... I have them all on a seperate VLAN only talking to a BlueIris implementation.

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The brighter pic here is night time with no significant ambient light and no light nearby. The dark one is the post firmware update...
The second image just looks like the IR is off.
Do you see the dull red glow of the IR LEDs when you look at the camera in the dark?

Have you double-checked the web GUI settings related to IR? Maybe there us a new feature to disable it, and it's defaulted to off.

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The IR LEDs are on, I can see them on after the firmware update (dull red lights around the lens). Even had HDView guys login to the camera to verify the settings in the UI (which was a pain to punch the camera through my network to the internet...) It's like the sensor isnt switching modes like it should even if you tell it to, to be more IR sensitive. They agreed something is wrong with that firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's like the sensor isnt switching modes like it should
But it does look like a night-mode (black and white) image. Do you get the same image if you switch to Day-mode, or does some colour appear?

So, IR LEDs on but IRcut filter active?

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah the firmware does not have a "day/night" mode specifically, but the IRCut feature doesn't seem to work right currently. It would work fine under LDR Auto before. Now none of the settings make the sensor any better with the IR illumination. so its like the IRCut is just locked on.
upload_2018-2-13_11-9-9.png

The HDview guys agreed there is a significant problem with the firmware.

For how "sketchy" HDview seems to be using these cheap cameras, their support is really impressive.

Jeff DeWolfe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Clegg -

I'm having the same exact issue with 2 cameras I purchased from fs.com. Link to them is here: 3MP Indoor/Outdoor Dome Camera With Infrared | FS.COM

If I do a factory reset on them, the IR works for that one evening. The next evening it stays black as the filter is not opening and allowing the IR light. I have the cameras and the IR lights are definitely on. The firmware version I'm running is 3516D_IMX123_W_7.1.34.1. Does that look similar to yours?

Clegg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep that is the same firmwware that screwed mine up. When I get the rollback firmware from HDView (if I get it) I will post it here.

Also, I know a guy named Jeff DeWolfe in WI, and you look kinda like him. That would he funny if you are the same guy.

Joe