HDW5231R-ZE settings for LPR

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And I see a few with some kind of anti-reflective coating as well....white light and keeping in color is an attractive option if you have a situation where you can get away with it. Id' probably blind drivers and end up with a lawsuit :(
Yea I have rear of car only license plates and my images are all shot towards driveway exit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OpenALPR reads at ~30m (static plate) and 10m (10mph) at ~10AM on a rainy day. Vehicle type and number correct even for blurred far plate of a parked vehicle. Stoked!

http://<ip>/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action= getFocusStatus
status.Focus=0.962233
status.FocusMotorSteps=3045
status.LenAdjustStatus=1
status.Status=Normal
status.Zoom=0.979079
status.ZoomMotorSteps=2390

Attachments

Last edited:

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Connected OpenALPR to IFTTT to add row to a spreadsheet. Unf, OpenALPR can't handle "no plate" condition currently (presume this is the same for dirty/obscured plates), and gives a false negative. In a perhaps futile attempt to flag noPlate vehicles, I've configured IFTTT to add a row from IVS email alert as well as from OpenALPR webhook read, which enables a quick scan for IVS with no corresponding plate read. If IVS and no read at the same timestamp, then alert with IVS image (Still TBD). Will probably show me squirrels and crows ;)

Last edited:

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IIRC from geometric optics class (eons ago!), spherical glass beads used in reflectorized paint have the interesting property of reflecting back in a parallel direction as the incident light (diagram in the document below). This is the reason traffic signs and license plates appear so bright when illuminated. For ALPRs, this means that having the light source (visible or IR spectrum) near the camera would be best.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/R-167_440278_7.pdf

@bigredfish do you feel that IR light significantly helps instead of the on board IR? Does off angle IR help a lot? Wondering if it will make a big difference on dirty plates.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IIRC from geometric optics class (eons ago!), spherical glass beads used in reflectorized paint have the interesting property of reflecting back in a parallel direction as the incident light (diagram in the document below). This is the reason traffic signs and license plates appear so bright when illuminated. For ALPRs, this means that having the light source (visible or IR spectrum) near the camera would be best.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/R-167_440278_7.pdf
Makes sense

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update on A(noL)PR: The (inelegant) method appears to work for identifying plateless vehicles (example image). Since OpenALPR also allows specification of direction of vehicle, I've set it up to tag "exiting" vehicles on my dead-end street, which generally serves to capture rear of vehicle, plate or not (no example images yet).

BTW, config of OpenALPR agent which works well (primary stream for highest resolution), with RTSP port default of 554:
Code:
rtsp://<username:password>@<ipAddressOfCamera>:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

Attachments

Rksgrd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shutter manual 1/2000
Gain 10-40
Iris 40
HLC 65
3dnr 45
Smart IR on

You may need more or less HLC depending on the angle of the headlights to the camera

Note that when switching from color to B&W/IR the camera tends to lose focus. Seems to be somewhat dependent on how far you zoom. More zoom = more chance it loses focus. Read up on the focus issue in this forum...
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Moving vehicle, 20-30 MPH:
Capture.PNG

Stationary vehicle:
Capture2.PNG

Anti-flicker: Outdoor
Mode: Manual Interval
Shutter: 1/2000
Gain Range: 10-40
Auto iris: On
3D NR: On
Grade: 45
Backlight Mode: GlareInhibition 65
SmartIR

H.264H
1080P
20 FPS
VBR
4096Kbps
I Interval 20

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LPR Specific Camera

Device Type IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
System Version2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date: 2018-03-30
WEB Version3.2.1.561950
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.1.513183)

ti-flicker: Outdoor
Mode: Manual Interval
Shutter: 1/1000
Gain Range: 5-40
Auto iris: 40
3D NR: On
Grade: 45
Backlight Mode: HLC 65
SmartIR

H.264H
1080P
30 FPS
VBR
4096Kbps
I Interval 30

Overwatch Camera

Device TypeIPC-HDW5231R-Z
System Version2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date: 2018-03-30
WEB Version3.2.1.561950
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.1.513183)

IMG-6064.JPG IMG-6063.JPG

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking of mounting my 5231 turret directly on the side of my mailbox post. Since it would be right at the road and cars would pass at almost direct line of sight head on within a few feet, would I still want to use any zoom?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking of mounting my 5231 turret directly on the side of my mailbox post. Since it would be right at the road and cars would pass at almost direct line of sight head on within a few feet, would I still want to use any zoom?
You ideally want to frame the choke point super tight therefore you may still want zoom, play with it a few times as you dial in the final zoom, exposure and placement is really the best idea

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK thanks I'll try out zooming. I was just thinking without zoom, it is a wide FOV but the focus and capture would be really close to the camera and maybe better chance of a good image with the vehicle and the camera's IR that close vs zooming out to get the lp pic further away.

Also I noticed most lpr posts I have read, people are using bullets, not turrets. Given how posters are down on bullets so much, why would,d they be popular for lpr I wonder?