Hello all!

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just registered. Been trying to learn stuff for a month and trying to put my first system together. I’m sure I’m going to need some help with a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Be sure to read the Wiki up at the top and spend LOTS of time in the Cliff Notes before buying and mounting cams.
I’ve read through it several times. Enough to put me in a good direction. Still a lot to soak in. So far I’ve ordered 2 cameras to start with, dahua 5231 and 2231. I have an optiplex being set up and an 8 port poe+ switch

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

You are off to a good start with your camera selection and POE switch. What is the CPU number/type, the amount of memory and disk/ssd drives, operating system ?

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:welcome:

You are off to a good start with your camera selection and POE switch. What is the CPU number/type, the amount of memory and disk/ssd drives, operating system ?
It’s an I7 6700 with 16gb ram, 516gb ssd, 4tb wd purple, win 10 pro.

I am a tech for a telco company so cat5 and rj45 will be no issue at all. I’m going to pull multiple runs through the attic to every corner and entry.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which poe switch did you go with?
BV-tech sw-802-din, this will get me started and then once I expand or want to do more I’ll get a nicer managed switch and use this at my dads house or something. I was wanting to network our houses together with a p2p system in future maybe.

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PoE: Ubiquiti are good (so far for me, and I love that you can easily manage and restart camera's/devices if needed via the interface).

That said: Should also add to the "junk" list of camera's not to get are the Ubiquiti ones... they aren't really "junk", but just over priced. for the same price you can get the ones mentioned in #1 above and have a WAY WAY better image than the Ubiquiti cameras.