Hello everyone, it's great to be here. I'm looking for some advice please that I'll expand on within my post for a single camera system.

PeteBeds

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from the UK, I'm Pete.

The advice I'm after is I'm looking for a single camera set-up that I can use indoors but facing out to the street through the window. Because I live in the town centre I know the camera wouldn't be safe being fitted outside and would either get smashed or stolen. I have a cheap Annke system but there is no way to turn the lights off at night so nothing can be seen because of the reflection of the lights from the camera at night so advice on a camera and DVR/NVR or either Windows or Linus software (paid or open source) would be much appreciated please.

Many thanks.

Pete.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello from the UK, I'm Pete.

The advice I'm after is I'm looking for a single camera set-up that I can use indoors but facing out to the street through the window. Because I live in the town centre I know the camera wouldn't be safe being fitted outside and would either get smashed or stolen. I have a cheap Annke system but there is no way to turn the lights off at night so nothing can be seen because of the reflection of the lights from the camera at night so advice on a camera and DVR/NVR or either Windows or Linus software (paid or open source) would be much appreciated please.

Many thanks.

Pete.
Put it outside. Its cheap enough to replace if tampered with. There are various cheap cages you can buy as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. Unless you have a ton of light at night, any camera behind a window is problematic - can't use a built-in white LED and can't use the built-in infrared.

Plus, if they damage it, you are getting good pics of them in the process.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It appears the cams are analog ( BNC coax + 12VDC power) based on the "what's included" but it states it can work with a couple of IP cameras.

Did you install a hard drive to record video?

Last edited:

PeteBeds

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears the cams are analog ( BNC coax + 12VDC power) based on the "what's included" but it states it can work with a couple of IP cameras.

Did you install a hard drive to record video?
Yes I installed a 500GB HDD. I was only using 1 of the 2 camera's supplied but I stopped after a month because of the reflection at night and my life has been up and down since 2018 so I'm just getting around to looking into this again.
I downloaded the latest firmware for the DVR and tried to update it via USB but it said something like mismatch so I'm now wondering as I'm typing this if the firmware updates have to be done in order as I've skipped a couple of updates in-between.
Because I rent my flat from my local authority, council, I'm not sure about the rules regarding having private camera's on a public street. I read a while ago that a person here was successfully sued because their Ring video doorbell faced a neighbour across the road from them

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why don’t you just fit what you currently have outside, see how it performs and then take it from there.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't the UK have cameras everywhere owned by the government? At least that's the
impression I get from all the crime videos.

PeteBeds

n3wb
Reaction score
Doesn't the UK have cameras everywhere owned by the government? At least that's the
impression I get from all the crime videos.
Only around government offices. Everywhere else will be either Police, local authorities. business's and homeowners.
I'd be happy if every street had CCTV monitored by AI but any decisions that may need to be acted upon are made by humans.