Hello everyone! So glad to find a non-biased site.

Sedona

n3wb
Reaction score
I got so confused searching the internet, because everyone is saying you can't install a dahua or hikvision system, even though they say they are the best in the industy, they are illegal in the US? I am trying to get a system together to install. the builder ran the cat5 cable to 4 locations outside. I need a poe 8 camera nvr, and 2 turret cameras for front and back covered porch. Practically all suggestions are the ipc-t5442t-2e for this application. Distance is no more than 30 feet. Would like to have 2 way talk for front porch only but not sure if there is an option. Then need 2 bullet cameras for each corner of the house. Distance no more than 50 feet. All areas are very low light areas. I only need vehicle recognition for one camera at driveway, the others would be nice with person recognition to avoid false notifications. Thanks for the suggestions. Just trying to get it right the first time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

They are only "illegal" for installation in government facilities.

Yep, the 5442-ZE would be a good choice for 30 feet.

Two-way audio is more gimmicky than reality. It is much more like a walkie-talkie push button and talk and release button type action. Much better to go with a doorbell cam that would provide true two-way talk.

You will find the cameras multiply, so for not much more get the 16 channel NVR.

Sedona

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

They are only "illegal" for installation in government facilities.

Yep, the 5442-ZE would be a good choice for 30 feet.

Two-way audio is more gimmicky than reality. It is much more like a walkie-talkie push button and talk and release button type action. Much better to go with a doorbell cam that would provide true two-way talk.

You will find the cameras multiply, so for not much more get the 16 channel NVR.
Thanks for the reply. What do you suggest for the bullet cams?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a thread I created that lists the most commonly suggested cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY.

The 5442 series has bullets as well, but depending on distance, a 2MP may be a better choice:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

The current crop of the most popular, and probably best, cameras out there right now -

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Dual Sensor 4K

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

PTZ Cameras

180 Degree FOV 4K

Sedona

n3wb
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Sedona, post: 710269, member: 15
[/QUOTE]First , thank you all for the advice on the system I am trying to get together, being as I am new to all of this. I was highly referred to go with the 5442 series cameras since I have very little light. Per my pictures, turrets were recommended for the front and back patio. Should they be varifocal or fixed lens with 2.8mm? Should the driveway be a bullet with a varifocal? Also, advice on the 8 channel nvr, which needs to be the mini to fit in the wall cabinet where the builder ran all the wires. I was told I needed a 6 TB drive to record 2 or 3 days, but research says that is too much. Thank you all again for the input.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
My advice is to purchase a single Dahua/Empire Tech Varifocal and play around with the field of view, see what works and what does not. After you spend some time you will have a much better understanding of what you need.

I started with a single Dahua 2MP 2231 a couple years ago. I now have five cameras mounted and three orphans in need of mounting when I find the spare time. The 5442 in any version is a great camera. I would pick up a 5442 varifocal and go forward after you try out locations and views.

4TB gives me an easy month of footage using Blue Iris. Three of five (5442/5442/2231) record 24/7 and a couple other models record just on motion.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
so get the refurb nvr cuz its the size you want, get a varifocal 5442, (or 3) lol....and try that for starters
so you got $90 + 169 for openers