Hello from Florida!!

MommaMuzzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Your latest pupil has arrived! I have been researching camera options quite a bit the past few weeks, yet today I found security camera heaven! I have learned a ton already reading posts full of insight and knowledge shared by so many of you - amazing info, I am grateful! Thank you!! I will also pass along an advance thank you from my hubby for this site! He has no clue what I've been reading about lately online, let alone here today! Long story short, my due diligence does have a purpose. My intention is to replace our current security system with a new setup - a Daddy's Day gift for my other half, hence his advance thank you! I am hoping my gift will live up to the expectations he had when we purchased our current system. Yep, we are that naive couple who bought into the 4k sales pitch we were told; silly us thinking we were purchasing the latest & greatest available home security system for DIY installing homeowners. We are reminded daily of our poor judgement by each camera notification displaying how inactive and dull our property is, haha! Anyhow, you all know the story so I will spare you further details. Although I will confess that this purchase will also be a gift for me, I'm super excited! I'd prefer to keep that fun fact between us (and the internet) so hubby doesn't feel slighted on his special day! ;) And I do think I have a good grip on this security camera stuff now, but would like to ask one favor! I humbly request for real feedback on my shopping list below. Don't be shy, I promise I can take it! And feel free to tell me if I didn't learn a thing and should head back to security camera school. I'd like to feel confident that I am not making the same mistake twice and expecting a different result - I'm trying to truly spend wisely this go round. And I am also confident in passing along a second thank you in advance from my hubby for any guidance you provide! You will be saving him from enduring camera failure 2.0 plus any potential additional $$ needed to correct a 2nd camera setback. So here you go, without further ado, my shopping list is shown below:

(1) NVR16CH-16P-2AI 16 Channels 1U 16PoE 2HDD Network Video Recorder
(3) PTZ425DB-AT: EmpireTech Starlight 4MP 25x 1/2.8" CMOS IR Smart Mini PTZ Cameras PTZ425DB-AT
(1) IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3: EmpireTech Ultra Smart 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Starlight+ Low Light IR Bullet IP Camera

Our house is already wired with Cat 6 wiring, so if I am thinking correctly, hubby can remove current cameras and the current system's NVR. Then he will mount our new cameras, plug into the wiring as well as the appropriate port on the new NVR and, voila!? If that is right, thereafter we should be good to navigate tweaks and settings, etc. But if I'm wrong, I am pretty sure I now know where to go for help, lol! Thanks team! ;)

Happy to be here! I look forward to navigating my way around the forums with you!

Michelle

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Michelle and Welcome.

The cameras you picked out are solid choices, but without knowing more about the scenes they are expected to cover, there's no way for us to know if they're the Right choices

Broadly speaking, a normal home system should be built around the 5442 Z variable focus turret or bullet (Empiretech #T54IR-ZE-S3 )
EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP IR Starlight 2.7mm–12mm Var
EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-ZE 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP WDR IR 2.7mm–12mm Vari-focal B

Then we add cameras like the ones you chose for specialty applications. Longer/tighter shots at choke points, the B54IR-Z4E S3 for example. (3X more zoom than the above cameras)
The PTZ425DB-AT is a great little PTZ, but it has its limitations and you dont generally want to rely on PTZs as the sole coverage for an area. They're great as companions to fixed cameras to provide greater detail and/or track targets in non-critical areas by themselves. Reason being, inevitably they'll be looking the wrong way when you most need them.

What would help a lot would be a drawing or plot map of your property with a few notes showing your main areas of coverage concern.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Your latest pupil has arrived! I have been researching camera options quite a bit the past few weeks, yet today I found security camera heaven! I have learned a ton already reading posts full of insight and knowledge shared by so many of you - amazing info, I am grateful! Thank you!! I will also pass along an advance thank you from my hubby for this site! He has no clue what I've been reading about lately online, let alone here today! Long story short, my due diligence does have a purpose. My intention is to replace our current security system with a new setup - a Daddy's Day gift for my other half, hence his advance thank you! I am hoping my gift will live up to the expectations he had when we purchased our current system. Yep, we are that naive couple who bought into the 4k sales pitch we were told; silly us thinking we were purchasing the latest & greatest available home security system for DIY installing homeowners. We are reminded daily of our poor judgement by each camera notification displaying how inactive and dull our property is, haha! Anyhow, you all know the story so I will spare you further details. Although I will confess that this purchase will also be a gift for me, I'm super excited! I'd prefer to keep that fun fact between us (and the internet) so hubby doesn't feel slighted on his special day! ;) And I do think I have a good grip on this security camera stuff now, but would like to ask one favor! I humbly request for real feedback on my shopping list below. Don't be shy, I promise I can take it! And feel free to tell me if I didn't learn a thing and should head back to security camera school. I'd like to feel confident that I am not making the same mistake twice and expecting a different result - I'm trying to truly spend wisely this go round. And I am also confident in passing along a second thank you in advance from my hubby for any guidance you provide! You will be saving him from enduring camera failure 2.0 plus any potential additional $$ needed to correct a 2nd camera setback. So here you go, without further ado, my shopping list is shown below:

(1) NVR16CH-16P-2AI 16 Channels 1U 16PoE 2HDD Network Video Recorder
(3) PTZ425DB-AT: EmpireTech Starlight 4MP 25x 1/2.8" CMOS IR Smart Mini PTZ Cameras PTZ425DB-AT
(1) IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3: EmpireTech Ultra Smart 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Starlight+ Low Light IR Bullet IP Camera

Our house is already wired with Cat 6 wiring, so if I am thinking correctly, hubby can remove current cameras and the current system's NVR. Then he will mount our new cameras, plug into the wiring as well as the appropriate port on the new NVR and, voila!? If that is right, thereafter we should be good to navigate tweaks and settings, etc. But if I'm wrong, I am pretty sure I now know where to go for help, lol! Thanks team! ;)

Happy to be here! I look forward to navigating my way around the forums with you!

Michelle
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

MommaMuzzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you BigRedFish and Tony for making a gal feel welcome! Happy to be here!

BigRedFish - I did not even consider the fact that one of the mini ptz's could get hung up looking right causing a miss of needed activity on the left, yikes! I am drawing a map to compliment the detail here. Stay tuned, i am not an artist, but want you to have as much info to help you guide me. In the meantime, here are some details to help out.

We have grass fields behind our home (left/right/center). The rear right does have a pond along with the the field area. And the rear property line runs parallel to a local private golf course (open views/unobstructed) with an entry/access road. The back fields and golf course are mainly dark, no lights remain on during the overnight. We have a lanai connected directly to our home with landscape lighting every 3 ft throughout the 10 ft deep mulch bed on all 3 sides. They provide low light overnight for the entire rear of the home. We have 2 motion flood lights above lanai exits to provide light for nightly doggie potty breaks. But they get most of their use from our regular wildlife friends.

The critters here in Florida that we have learned about are the surprise we weren't expecting. I'm convinced we could have our own reality show, it's been a ride. We have a regular variety of nightly activity to our zoo, as we call it. Many are not friendly and actually harmful. Our visitor list to date includes: gators, wolves, badgers, armadillos, bunnies, flying squirrels, badgers, huntsman spiders (which I call demon spiders, they are not small), black racer/rattle/cottonmouth snake variety, gopher turtles and our occasional appearance of the black panther. Our camera footage lets us know who starred in each night's episode, but the quality is terrible and misses them often. We have been sitting on the lanai at night and heard pretty loud hunting or wrestling matches happening and pulled up live view to see nothing. Exactly why night vision that works optimally in low light is a must. We live in the zoo that I never wanted and have pets/visitors, etc. My pea brain assumed the ptz's would capture everything and I may have been too focused on the best low light night camera setting, doh! I was planning to split the rear property in half, with a ptz on each side, right and left, attaching them with a corner bracket on the lanai enclosure.

Our immediate right and left side of the home have parallel grass openings, roughly 50 feet from our home to each neighbors property line/ home on each side. From the back corner of the lanai to the street/front property line the area is all grass and unobstructed. From that back corner to the street the approximate distance is 200 feet and it does have low lights against our home. Finally, the front of our home is where we have a current camera centered above the cathedral vestibule entryway, 20 ft above ground level. That covers the front circle driveway and left front lawn area - approximately 75 ft wide x 100 ft depth should cover that area.

In front of the garage, the bullet camera was going to be placed on the right corner of our home. This would cover the right front lawn area to the street, approximately a 60 ft x 60 ft area.

I hope this info is helpful. I will post that map tomorrow. Thank you very much for your guidance. It is greatly appreciated!

- Michelle

MommaMuzzy

n3wb
Reaction score
1713109831611.png

Hello again! This is my attempt to provide a visual with measurements that are approximate and my guestimates. Please forgive me if the math doesn't math, lol. The current camera positions are shown and that is where we would like to place cameras needed so no additional wiring is required or changes needed, if we can help it. :) Thanks so much for the assistance, it is so appreciated because my only other option is to divulge the daddy day present to hubby so he can give input/help, lol. (I am grateful for your guidance! Can't say it enough!)

Edit: Each camera is soffit level around the house - the only high up existing camera is over the front entry/vestibule area. Thanks!

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @MommaMuzzy

hmmm .. so you would like to keep the prior cabling and positions ..

PTZ cameras, .. do consider if it is better to have multiple cameras instead .. in some cases the newer dual lens 180 degree camera works well enough ..

PTZ model considered :

1713116665966.png

Dual Lens models currently listed on EmpireTech

I would consider the IPC-Color4K-T180 model for some positions where a 180 degree camera would be good ..

1713116982730.png

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SO many things go into this, but I'm going to try and keep it short n sweet. Also know that 5 different folks will give you 5 different suggestions so take this as a starting point. ;)

Generally each camera needs a purpose. So much of placement depends on what you want/need to see. Typical primary purpose is getting good ID on possible bad guys (BGs). On a home that size, I can easily see 8-10 cameras minimum. Windows, fences, trees etc all come into play so without photos we can only get in the ballpark. I think you have 6 current locations, so I'll start with that.

Also, the 4K cameras (two models, both fixed lens plus the two dual lens cameras show above T180 and B180) are great, but I'm going to assume you dont want what effectively looks like a bright LED flashlight on all night and that you dont have enough light to really get color at night. These MUST have light to see at night as they have no IR.
Q- How much light is there at night out front at the street? Streetlights? Do you and neighbors leave coach lights or other on out front at night?

The NVR you chose is good to go.
NVR16CH-16P-2AI 16 Channels 1U 16PoE
EmpireTech NVR16CH-16P-2AI 16 Channels 1U 16PoE 2HDD Network Video Rec

Arguably the most important camera is missing, one approx 7ft high near the front door to get ID of visitors, delivery's and BG's.. The placement you have there at 20ft high is fine for overview of the drive and lawn and street, but as far as humans at your door, you're only going to get images of bald spots and/or tops of hats.
For this I'd recommend the T54IR-AS-S3 in 3.6mm
EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-AS-S3 1/1.8" CMOS New Look 4MP IR Fixed-focal Eye
This level of Facial ID
ch03_20210621_151922_E.jpg 4116P_FrDoor_main_20210526121849_@12.jpg

For that Overview camera 20ft up covering the drive and partial front yard, I'm assuming you really only have a 90 degree view as the garage would be in the way on the left. So that rules out the 180 4K cam. So might was well go with a variable focus version of that same model
It would be tempting to put the mini PTZ there, BUT.. as mentioned by @Ri22o it needs a LOT of ambient light at night to work well.

For each of the remaining locations, I'm again going to assume there's no need to get high detail at the very edge of the property or beyond, the primary purpose being ID at or near the house.
**Know that at each location you have the possibility of running two cameras off of a single cable. So if there is a need to address a specific choke point we can add a more powerful zoom camera next to the primary home perimeter camera. HOWEVER, also know that more zoom means a smaller field of view. You'll see more detail, but less area
Example: two cameras, one with much more zoom. One covers the drive where a vehicle is parked every night (priority), the other captures faces in the street (optional).
One camera can't generally do both
Home_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20240215083952_@5.jpg Home_5442-Z4-S3_main_20240215083953_@5.jpg

For that front left corner of the house, I would do two more of the T54IR-ZE-S3. Basically providing 180 degree coverage to the front yard towards the drive and towards the side/corner of the property

The camera location midway on the left side, I would use to cover the lanai door primarily. So again assuming under 25ft, another T54IR-ZE-S3.

The two backyard cameras open up a number of possibilities depending on what you want as a priority. Forget seeing fine detail at the back property line at 150ft without a extreme zoom camera. You may see the gator, but you're not gonna count his teeth at that distance.
Here one of the Z4's on each corner crossing might give you some level of zoom to work with, good detail at 60-80 ft and enough IR to "see" out to 100-150ft but again not with great detail. B54IR-Z4E-S3
EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 1/1.8" CMOS 4MP WDR IR Built-in Mic AI Net

Another option, would be to add a 2nd more powerful PTZ to the back right side which would park overseeing the pond, (Im guessing most critter activity) but can be called/directed by the two Z4's overwatching the back property line to turn and zoom in when they see something interesting. in the backyard. The advantage of a high powered PTZ would be primarily for the cool factor of being able to do a lot of things with it facing a large area out back. Note that "alerting" on critters isnt easily done as all of these cameras are designed to recognize humans and vehicles. It can be done but it comes with more false alerts.
These get pricey. Now you're in the $500-$2000 range for a good PTZ and many things to consider/discuss before choosing a model. Oh, and they'll be much bigger than that mini-PTZ

A 3rd option depending on whether you're ok with bright flashlight like LED's on all night would be the 4K cameras, single lens or 180 models like mentiuoned above. Their limitation otherwise is no varible focus. Great for overview, not so much for detail out past 40ft.

Lastly that front right corner. Again here I'd go with two cameras. One to view relatively long range down the side of the house and possibly forsake some area facing the neighbor to cover the lanai door more closely. Probably a Z4 T54IR-ZE-S3 given the distance, or use a regular T54IR-ZE-S3 on the back right corner to do that, and another T54IR-ZE-S3 at this location to cover the balance of the side yard.

Like I said, its a good start. I woudnt want to buy cameras without actually seeing the property as trees, shrubbery, windows etc can all play a part in where the priority focus should be. That and it takes (from experience) a minimum of 3 bourbons to properly survey a home and decide final camera placement .

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ This right here. @bigredfish has a lot of knowledge on these subjects. He is one of our resident experts on NVRs and PTZ cams.

Generally each camera needs a purpose. So much of placement depends on what you want/need to see.
Absolutely agree. You might be fairly 'happy' with just getting some cams and replacing what you have, but if there ever is a security problem, that is when you will wish you had thought of each position appropriately.

I understand that you want to surprise your husband with a father's day gift, but it might be prudent to get him involved now rather than after the fact. I take it he is the one that will be doing the install? It would be a good idea to get one good varifocal cam like the one listed above (empiretech01.com/products/empiretech-ipc-t54ir-ze-s3-1-1-8-cmos-4mp-ir-starlight-vari-focal-turret-security-camera?variant=46950104498461 ) and use it to test out each position.

MommaMuzzy

n3wb
Reaction score
SO many things go into this, but I'm going to try and keep it short n sweet. Also know that 5 different folks will give you 5 different suggestions so take this as a starting point. ;)

Generally each camera needs a purpose. So much of placement depends on what you want/need to see. Typical primary purpose is getting good ID on possible bad guys (BGs). On a home that size, I can easily see 8-10 cameras minimum. Windows, fences, trees etc all come into play so without photos we can only get in the ballpark. I think you have 6 current locations, so I'll start with that.

Also, the 4K cameras (two models, both fixed lens plus the two dual lens cameras show above T180 and B180) are great, but I'm going to assume you dont want what effectively looks like a bright LED flashlight on all night and that you dont have enough light to really get color at night. These MUST have light to see at night as they have no IR.
Q- How much light is there at night out front at the street? Streetlights? Do you and neighbors leave coach lights or other on out front at night?

The NVR you chose is good to go.

Arguably the most important camera is missing, one approx 7ft high near the front door to get ID of visitors, delivery's and BG's.. The placement you have there at 20ft high is fine for overview of the drive and lawn and street, but as far as humans at your door, you're only going to get images of bald spots and/or tops of hats.
For this I'd recommend the T54IR-AS-S3 in 3.6mm
This level of Facial ID
View attachment 192279 View attachment 192280

For that Overview camera 20ft up covering the drive and partial front yard, I'm assuming you really only have a 90 degree view as the garage would be in the way on the left. So that rules out the 180 4K cam. So might was well go with a variable focus version of that same model
It would be tempting to put the mini PTZ there, BUT.. as mentioned by @Ri22o it needs a LOT of ambient light at night to work well.

For each of the remaining locations, I'm again going to assume there's no need to get high detail at the very edge of the property or beyond, the primary purpose being ID at or near the house.
**Know that at each location you have the possibility of running two cameras off of a single cable. So if there is a need to address a specific choke point we can add a more powerful zoom camera next to the primary home perimeter camera. HOWEVER, also know that more zoom means a smaller field of view. You'll see more detail, but less area
Example: two cameras, one with much more zoom. One covers the drive where a vehicle is parked every night (priority), the other captures faces in the street (optional).
One camera can't generally do both
View attachment 192282 View attachment 192281

For that front left corner of the house, I would do two more of the T54IR-ZE-S3. Basically providing 180 degree coverage to the front yard towards the drive and towards the side/corner of the property

The camera location midway on the left side, I would use to cover the lanai door primarily. So again assuming under 25ft, another T54IR-ZE-S3.

The two backyard cameras open up a number of possibilities depending on what you want as a priority. Forget seeing fine detail at the back property line at 150ft without a extreme zoom camera. You may see the gator, but you're not gonna count his teeth at that distance.
Here one of the Z4's on each corner crossing might give you some level of zoom to work with, good detail at 60-80 ft and enough IR to "see" out to 100-150ft but again not with great detail. B54IR-Z4E-S3

Another option, would be to add a 2nd more powerful PTZ to the back right side which would park overseeing the pond, (Im guessing most critter activity) but can be called/directed by the two Z4's overwatching the back property line to turn and zoom in when they see something interesting. in the backyard. The advantage of a high powered PTZ would be primarily for the cool factor of being able to do a lot of things with it facing a large area out back. Note that "alerting" on critters isnt easily done as all of these cameras are designed to recognize humans and vehicles. It can be done but it comes with more false alerts.
These get pricey. Now you're in the $500-$2000 range for a good PTZ and many things to consider/discuss before choosing a model. Oh, and they'll be much bigger than that mini-PTZ

A 3rd option depending on whether you're ok with bright flashlight like LED's on all night would be the 4K cameras, single lens or 180 models like mentiuoned above. Their limitation otherwise is no varible focus. Great for overview, not so much for detail out past 40ft.

Lastly that front right corner. Again here I'd go with two cameras. One to view relatively long range down the side of the house and possibly forsake some area facing the neighbor to cover the lanai door more closely. Probably a Z4 T54IR-ZE-S3 given the distance, or use a regular T54IR-ZE-S3 on the back right corner to do that, and another T54IR-ZE-S3 at this location to cover the balance of the side yard.

Like I said, its a good start. I woudnt want to buy cameras without actually seeing the property as trees, shrubbery, windows etc can all play a part in where the priority focus should be. That and it takes (from experience) a minimum of 3 bourbons to properly survey a home and decide final camera pladcement.
You are the absolute best! The options you have given are fantastic! I'd be happy to send you a bottle of bourbon just for the guidance - absolutely incredible!!! I am going to add in the front door cam you are recommending for sure! I knew that I needed one, just didn't get that far yet, lol. I am also going to replace the back lanai ptz cams with the (2) of the Z4s and the Front Overview Cam with the Variable Cam you suggested! The PTZ ambient light needed gave me pause, there is light, but I don't want to risk that there is enough even with neighbor lighting, etc. Pretty much you covered all the info I needed perfectly and I am following your lead, you're awesome! Much appreciated! I copied your question below with my answers directly underneath the Q:

The front has pretty good light from our landscape property lights which also include flood lights on our palms and a lamp post near the mailbox. And yes, our neighbors have their landscape lighting and coach lights too. One neighbor's coach lights are a frequent convo - they are out of control bright! We often joke and call them his airport runway lights since we swear they are bright enough to be on a runway to guide planes in!!! We have also joked that his electric company meter spins full speed like Clark's on Christmas Vacation while making our silly sound effects when they turn on, haha! We are grown children, I own it, lol! There are no streetlights in the neighborhood either. Fun fact, we cannot park our cars in the driveway overnight - don't ask, the HOA is a bit extra. In the bylaws they have a rule stating all resident vehicles must be in garages dusk to dawn and we have to provide guest vehicle license plates in advance so they know when a car will be in the drive. The community is gated with a guard at our front gate although the back gate is keypad + camera surveillance for enter/exit use. So it is a safe community, BUT we are not naive and know nothing is ever 100%. That fact coupled with the state of our nation today, watching the decline for the past 3 years, etc. we will stick with relying on ourselves and see anything more as supplemental. And as an fyi, at the beginning of your post your assumption about us not wanting bright LEDs on all night and your assumption was spot on.

In summary and as an extra check, I updated shopping list. Did I get it right?

QTY 1 – NVR

QTY 1 – Above front door in vestibule
T54IR-AS-S3 in 3.6mm

QTY 3 – 1 Overview camera 20ft up covering the drive and partial front yard with variable focus, 1 Left Side pointed toward back lanai entry, 1 Right Side pointed toward back

QTY 2 – 1 pointed on front yard towards the drive, 1 pointed towards the rear covering front to midway cam on left side (Z4's on each corner crossing for some level of zoom and good detail at 60-80 ft with enough IR to "see" out to 100-150ft but again not with great detail.)

Thanks again & again, lol

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd wait and see if others chime in today with different opinions. There are always multiple ways to skin a cat when it comes to camera choices/placement. That said, you're not going to be disappointed with those suggestions.

Close (maffs after midnight, esp. if wine is involved, are always best looked at after coffee the next morning ;)

QTY 1 – NVR

QTY 1 – Above front door in vestibule
T54IR-AS-S3 in 3.6mm

QTY 5 – 1 Overview camera 20ft up covering the drive and partial front yard with variable focus, (2) For that front left front corner of the house, 1 Left Side pointed toward back lanai entry, 1 Right Side pointed toward back

QTY 2 – REAR of house (Z4's on each corner crossing for some level of zoom and good detail at 60-80 ft with enough IR to "see" out to 100-150ft but again not with great detail.)

MommaMuzzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Noted all - thank you so much! Will be ordering in a few orders so hubby doesn't catch on and I spend incrementally, lol. ;)

Will let you know once he sets it all up so you can see pics! (after Daddy's day, so stay tuned!)