Hello from KS

Laidink

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all fairly new here I've been browsing for a while after my future residence was broken into and I lost some money in tools and supplies. Actually watched a bunch of youtube videos over nvr's and cameras and ended up finding this amazing forum. I'm very new with networking and cameras and was hoping to get some insights. My house sits just off a blacktop on the north side of a county road with the county road being the only drive in access. Now if you really wanted to go through the ditch it wouldn't be an issue to get onto the property from the west side. With that being said, the only building that is really set in stone is the shop to the east side of the picture which is a 40x80. Unfortunately it has sliding barn doors on the west side for the foreseeable future and they are just over 13' tall and will extend past the building fully opened which definitely isn't ideal for height. Currently I only have electricity but internet hopefully shouldn't be a problem although the company might find it odd that I want internet ran to the shop instead of the house. This is because I am doing a complete multi year remodel on the house and adding another floor to the center section of the roof. I'm wanting the home base to be inside the shop inside of a 9x8 room I am building for a blue iris pc for the cams. I do plan to go with open vpn and a dual nic in the blue iris setup as I'm pretty sure I can figure that much out.

Now for my awkward questions. I'm planning an absolute minimum of 14 cameras.
I was thinking one HFW5241E-Z12E for sure mounted looking towards the south at my drive entry to possibly catch a license plate. Lighting won't be a issue as I'll run conduit and another breaker for a straight up spotlight if I have to.
Also a mix of the T5442T-ZE's and T2231T-ZS

As far as poe switches I'm a complete imbecile. I'm trying to figure out if I can have a poe switch mounted inside the shop to power the 5+ cameras there be fed off of a standard non powered switch that is just doing the data connectivity for the cameras? Then also run a cat 6 in conduit from that non powered switch in the shop all the way to the house for around 240+/- feet to another poe switch for what's essentially temporary cameras on the house until siding, windows, doors and everything exterior is finished. Especially considering whoever put the vinyl siding on did vertical runners every three feet and half of it is blowing off from our winds. The good news is the house is completely gutted so I have access to any stud bay I want!

So I guess my question on poe switches is, do I only need the poe where the termination of the camera wire is and other than that I can run data off of a standard non powered switch or do I need poe from the pc to the camera??

Also I have the water wellhouse around the 150' mark that I also plan on mounting cameras on.

I plan on buying some cameras and testing placement with the 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks and 2x4 with exception to my height limitation on the front of the shop.

Another plus is the account manager has basically given me unlimited funds.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras are the only devices that require PoE so running the PoE switch to the 2nd NIC in the PC is fine. The first NIC can attach to the regular, non powered, switch.

You can link the buildings using a dedicated encrypted wireless link. I have detached buildings as well and they are linked that way. These links will easily handle half a dozen, or more, cameras in the 2-4MP range without any problems and will operate up to a couple of kilometers. There are other that will work over even greater distance. Compared to the cost and time when compared to trenching, conduit, fiber optic cable (to provide electrical isolation) and fiber converters or a switch with fiber connections, these are an inexpensive and easy way to go.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs has given you some good info.

But if you still decide to run cable in conduit, make the conduit much larger than needed. And run several cables in there, plus a pull string. Plans always change and having the extra runs is cheep relative to running more at a later date.

Realize that most of us run LPR over IR at night. It just makes the plates pop out of the video. It would take a LOT of light to run it in color at night, with moving vehicles and all. Here are a couple of LPR threads that might help.

Someone had asked about setting up a detached garage and cams in the house a while ago. Here is a graphic that is almost like your situation.

Network Topology 5.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras connect to the POE switch, That switch can connect to a standard switch.
Run more cables to each location than you think you will need, the system will grow in size as technology changes.
You are off to a very good start in your choice of cameras, and system planning

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

================================
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

laka1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all fairly new here I've been browsing for a while after my future residence was broken into and I lost some money in tools and supplies. Actually watched a bunch of youtube videos over nvr's and cameras and ended up finding this amazing forum. I'm very new with networking and cameras and was hoping to get some insights. My house sits just off a blacktop on the north side of a county road with the county road being the only drive in access. Now if you really wanted to go through the ditch it wouldn't be an issue to get onto the property from the west side. With that being said, the only building that is really set in stone is the shop to the east side of the picture which is a 40x80. Unfortunately it has sliding barn doors on the west side for the foreseeable future and they are just over 13' tall and will extend past the building fully opened which definitely isn't ideal for height. Currently I only have electricity but internet hopefully shouldn't be a problem although the company might find it odd that I want internet ran to the shop instead of the house. This is because I am doing a complete multi year remodel on the house and adding another floor to the center section of the roof. I'm wanting the home base to be inside the shop inside of a 9x8 room I am building for a blue iris pc for the cams. I do plan to go with open vpn and a dual nic in the blue iris setup as I'm pretty sure I can figure that much out.

Now for my awkward questions. I'm planning an absolute minimum of 14 cameras.
I was thinking one HFW5241E-Z12E for sure mounted looking towards the south at my drive entry to possibly catch a license plate. Lighting won't be a issue as I'll run conduit and another breaker for a straight up spotlight if I have to.
Also a mix of the T5442T-ZE's and T2231T-ZS

As far as poe switches I'm a complete imbecile. I'm trying to figure out if I can have a poe switch mounted inside the shop to power the 5+ cameras there be fed off of a standard non powered switch that is just doing the data connectivity for the cameras? Then also run a cat 6 in conduit from that non powered switch in the shop all the way to the house for around 240+/- feet to another poe switch for what's essentially temporary cameras on the house until siding, windows, doors and everything exterior is finished. Especially considering whoever put the vinyl siding on did vertical runners every three feet and half of it is blowing off from our winds. The good news is the house is completely gutted so I have access to any stud bay I want!

So I guess my question on poe switches is, do I only need the poe where the termination of the camera wire is and other than that I can run data off of a standard non powered switch or do I need poe from the pc to the camera??

Also I have the water wellhouse around the 150' mark that I also plan on mounting cameras on.

I plan on buying some cameras and testing placement cuisine сafeden cafedenrestaurant.com with the 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks and 2x4 with exception to my height limitation on the front of the shop.

Another plus is the account manager has basically given me unlimited funds.
Welcome to the forum!

Laidink

n3wb
Reaction score
The cameras are the only devices that require PoE so running the PoE switch to the 2nd NIC in the PC is fine. The first NIC can attach to the regular, non powered, switch.

You can link the buildings using a dedicated encrypted wireless link. I have detached buildings as well and they are linked that way. These links will easily handle half a dozen, or more, cameras in the 2-4MP range without any problems and will operate up to a couple of kilometers. There are other that will work over even greater distance. Compared to the cost and time when compared to trenching, conduit, fiber optic cable (to provide electrical isolation) and fiber converters or a switch with fiber connections, these are an inexpensive and easy way to go.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5
Thank you for this info I had actually completely forgotten about the whole ground loop issue running network cable between buildings. So that would mean fiber or the wireless link, trenching is no issue as I actually own a ditchwitch rt20 and I've already ran 2" pvc conduit from the shop to the house planning for the future when I know I'll want to be hard wired. I'm almost positive fiber can bend enough to work with a 2" Lb fitting so there should be no issue there. Price wise going off the wireless link listed and just some rough looking around fiber will be more. Although they seem to be price gouging on amazon since they're 67 each on ubiq's site. I'm thinking I'll go wireless temporarily since there will be a lot of changes with the current layout of the house. I'm probably going to run direct burial outside the house for now then go permanent interior when framing and exterior is completed. Of course I'll run in conduit from ground level up the outside walls for now.

@sebastiantombs has given you some good info.

But if you still decide to run cable in conduit, make the conduit much larger than needed. And run several cables in there, plus a pull string. Plans always change and having the extra runs is cheep relative to running more at a later date.

Realize that most of us run LPR over IR at night. It just makes the plates pop out of the video. It would take a LOT of light to run it in color at night, with moving vehicles and all. Here are a couple of LPR threads that might help.

Someone had asked about setting up a detached garage and cams in the house a while ago. Here is a graphic that is almost like your situation.

View attachment 84833
I was just meaning more light to make the license plate pop of course, no plans on color at night. Those threads are the exact reason I was considering the 5241-z12E. That diagram works wonderfully thank you!!

The cameras connect to the POE switch, That switch can connect to a standard switch.
Run more cables to each location than you think you will need, the system will grow in size as technology changes.
You are off to a very good start in your choice of cameras, and system planning

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess
Thank you for clarifying that. Also I like the idea of more cables then I can have multiple angles from the same vantage point. Thanks again for the excellent advice!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.