Hello from NJ

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been doin research on this forum for a few weeks now. Thought I had a plan until I found this site but now it has all changed. Just looking to have my wife and kids feel safe and not wonder what that noise was outside late at night while I'm at work on late nights.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure will. I've been skimming through them here and there. Tons of great info there

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using ipcamtalk 2mp turrets around my house. I want to start out with two cameras and will probably expand to around 8-10 cameras. I am also thinking about using BI to run everything. Just trying to track down a computer to run it on. Not to good with computer specs and value though and think I should buy the computer first. Is that a good start?