Hello. IPCam n00b here LF help with my Nest cams.

Lastwords

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased these 2 cameras: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3I9L8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased Blue Iris.

I figured it would be pretty simple being able to follow Youtube and such. However I have had no luck. The couple videos I watched I followed as the said, Windows 10, go into Chrome/Firefox, make the camera Public, but I can't find the actual "Link" I need to place it into Blue Iris. Can anyone help? I've read conflicting things on the web that the "Outdoor" Nest cams aren't able to be placed into Blue Iris, etc. Thanks for reading.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Lastwords,

You will need to determine how to get the Nest Camera to provide an RTSP feed, last I checked that is not readily available as Nest wishes to be in control and that you pay for their cloud service.

If you really want a good outdoor camera which can be used with Blue Iris, suggest looking at the Dahua OEM starlight cameras - which you can get for about(*) the same price per camera as Nest outdoor cameras.
(* - depends on model, some are more affordable, some about the same,.. )

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased these 2 cameras: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3I9L8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased Blue Iris.

I figured it would be pretty simple being able to follow Youtube and such. However I have had no luck. The couple videos I watched I followed as the said, Windows 10, go into Chrome/Firefox, make the camera Public, but I can't find the actual "Link" I need to place it into Blue Iris. Can anyone help? I've read conflicting things on the web that the "Outdoor" Nest cams aren't able to be placed into Blue Iris, etc. Thanks for reading.
While you may be able to get them to work, its not a good idea...there are much better options in that price range that work MUCH better and provide a better image. Send that garbage back.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Lastwords

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok took your advice. I have $275-300 to spend on 2 outdoor cams that I can just plug them into an electric outlet and connect via Wifi. What do you recommend?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you absolutely have to have Wi-Fi cams? You're going to have to have power to each cam (like AC to DC 'wall warts') regardless so why not run CAT-5e or 6 cable anyway and use POE (Power Over Ethernet) cams? Wi-Fi cams are on the VERY crowded 2.4GHz frequency and can provide many headaches in that the signal can be unreliable.

Have you checked out the link that @mat200 provide on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) ? Its low light performance is unequalled, its turret style is a LOT less likely to attract spider webs across the lens like bullet types do, and its varifocal lens lets you 'fine tune' your field of view. It's also POE. Seriously consider 2 of those from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY . His e-mail is kingsecurity2014@163.com

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't very desirable to have outdoor cameras plugged into outlets outside. You don't want somebody to be able to walk up and easily unplug the camera. Do it right and just get an ethernet cable to the camera.

Lastwords

n3wb
Reaction score
Well here's the problem. My office is upstairs and that's where my router/modem is. How am I supposed to run the CAT5 from where the cameras are up to where the camera DVR is? I don't want to be fixing dry wall from running the CAT5 if possible lol

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well here's the problem. My office is upstairs and that's where my router/modem is. How am I supposed to run the CAT5 from where the cameras are up to where the camera DVR is? I don't want to be fixing dry wall from running the CAT5 if possible lol
If you do it right there shouldn't be much if any drywall fixing required, but that can very depending on when it was built. If you don't have the stills/experience required hire it out.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If possible use inside walls where generally there are no firebreaks (horizontal pieces of 2x4's between vertical wall studs). As @tangent suggested.."If you don't have the skills/experience required hire it out."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is always a way. ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lastwords,

Is this your house? Do you plan to live in it for awhile? - if so then cabling is a worth while investment. Just a question if you want a reliable solution.