Hello new here

Reaction score
hello I am new here. I have skimmed through the cliff notes some. I will read more when I have free time.

So I’m really noob to this home security stuff. My only experience was when I installled my parents Amcrest 960h system about 5 years ago. After playing with their system I seen how poor the quality it was. I couldn’t see any plate numbers and night vision was really grainy.

I’m about to be a new home owner and would love to have a home system. Before discovering this forum I have never heard of dahua cameras. I’m assuming it’s the go to camera.

My question is there some kit I can start with that has all the right Poe cameras and it’s nvr. Then when I’m ready to convert to nmr the cameras would be installed already and I all I would need to do is find a server pc.

Correct me if my plan is wrong please or am I on a right path.

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hello I am new here. I have skimmed through the cliff notes some. I will read more when I have free time.

So I’m really noob to this home security stuff. My only experience was when I installled my parents Amcrest 960h system about 5 years ago. After playing with their system I seen how poor the quality it was. I couldn’t see any plate numbers and night vision was really grainy.

I’m about to be a new home owner and would love to have a home system. Before discovering this forum I have never heard of dahua cameras. I’m assuming it’s the go to camera.

My question is there some kit I can start with that has all the right Poe cameras and it’s nvr. Then when I’m ready to convert to nmr the cameras would be installed already and I all I would need to do is find a server pc.

Thanks
Welcome,
Take the time to study the cliff notes using a real computer.
You will get a much better experience that way.
No reason to start with a NVR, start with Blue Iris.
You don't want or need a server. Dedicate a computer to BI.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks
Welcome @Oohitztommy

Take some time to figure this out.

Regarding: License plates and night vision - see the LPR section for license plates and the member reviews on Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras and 4MP starlight+ cameras, as well as any Hikvision darkfighter cameras.

Reaction score
So this is all I need to have a vms system.

Pc with blue iris software———->Poe power switch————->Poe cameras.

Is this the basic setup of a typical build? Am I missing anything.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is all I need to have a vms system.

Pc with blue iris software———->Poe power switch————->Poe cameras.

Is this the basic setup of a typical build? Am I missing anything.
You got it, of course you will need network cable, be sure you purchase solid copper wire, not copper clad aluminum.
Monoprice.com has it.

Reaction score
You got it, of course you will need network cable, be sure you purchase solid copper wire, not copper clad aluminum.
Monoprice.com has it.
So the switch can be connected directly to my WiFi router right and my pc will pick up the cameras video feed with the software.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the switch can be connected directly to my WiFi router right and my pc will pick up the cameras video feed with the software.
Hi @Oohitztommy

Yes you can do it that way, HOWEVER I prefer to keep all of the local LAN traffic off the router so that the router will not be overloaded with work.

This especially is useful if you want to remotely access your videos as now the router can run a VPN server on it without other traffic slowing it down..

(( internet ))----[ router ]----[ normal switch ]---[ poe switch ]

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank You all so much for masking things much clearer for me. Guess it’s time to start planning now and start a shopping list.
You want to connect all the cams to the POE switch, also connect the BI PC to the same POE switch, then connect the POE switch to the router.