Hello ~ & NVR options.

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here an have couple of questions regarding NVR options.

I started looking into a four cameras setup for my home, I am happy either either dahua starlight or hikvision darkfighter. The most important to me is features. As I don't want to go down the path that the NVR restrict what I can do with it. I am familiar with blueiris as I got involved setting it up for the company I work for but I am not keen to have a separate pc/server running 24/7 rather just get NVR.

I asked the installer he told me not to go dahua cause it doesn't have smart recordings and WDR? I would have thought smart recording would br standard? WDR just depends on camera specs?

I tried do some research online but can't quite find the difference between Dahua or Hikvision. Which one have better event detection, playback features, notification alert? Or even advance features that I can play with?

I need something that can record 24/7 especially at night and alert by email or phone when someone get to certain "boundary", maybe setup schedule or record based on zone..etc.Which are pretty basics I think?

For those using either system. What do you like about yours?

Thank You So much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here an have couple of questions regarding NVR options.

I started looking into a four cameras setup for my home, I am happy either either dahua starlight or hikvision darkfighter. The most important to me is features. As I don't want to go down the path that the NVR restrict what I can do with it. I am familiar with blueiris as I got involved setting it up for the company I work for but I am not keen to have a separate pc/server running 24/7 rather just get NVR.

I asked the installer he told me not to go dahua cause it doesn't have smart recordings and WDR? I would have thought smart recording would br standard? WDR just depends on camera specs?

I tried do some research online but can't quite find the difference between Dahua or Hikvision. Which one have better event detection, playback features, notification alert? Or even advance features that I can play with?

I need something that can record 24/7 especially at night and alert by email or phone when someone get to certain "boundary", maybe setup schedule or record based on zone..etc.Which are pretty basics I think?

For those using either system. What do you like about yours?

Thank You So much.

You have to decide whether you dont want to be limited or use an NVR, you can have both.
The installer lied to you. Both dahua and hik have cameras with "smart" motion detection, and both have models various different levels of "smart". I would run away from this guy. Most modern cameras have WDR, again, some are better than others.
See wiki and threads on low light cameras. Both dahua and hik have crappy cameras that will do poorly at night and low light and both have awesome cameras that are stellar in low light.
For the record, the NVR is essentially a small pc running 24/7, no different than blue iris.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, run away from that installer - probably wants to sell you junk at a premium price.

All of my Dahua cams have what he says they don't. Especially with the Starlight series cameras.

Pros and Cons to a NVR versus PC/Blue Iris. Lot's of comparisons you can find on this site.

All NVRs are not created the same - once you look at the record rate and bit rate capacities, to get to one to take advantage of nice cameras, the cost for the NVR will approach or exceed a dedicated PC/BI system.

I have way more flexibility with my PC/BI system than I do my NVR. At this point the NVR is basically a backup until it dies.

My neighbor recently bought an 8 camera, 4K "system" and after seeing what BI can do, he really wishes he went with that instead of the NVR. The NVR is just too limited. But it is an easy "plug and play" as in he simply did just plug the NVR in and plug the camera cable into each port and the NVR did all the "magic" and he could see all the cameras, but trying to do playback or tweaks is a real pain. But it isn't that hard to install BI on a PC and add cameras and get so much better functionality.

Just my opinion, and I know we have members here that will argue the NVR is better. If you are familiar with BI and like it, stay with it!

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. I do like blueiris just that with kids now I no longer have the time to build from scratch and want something that work out of the box.
I don't want to get used pc or server as I tend to be pretty bad luck and always end up issues afterwards too. Some gear pretty expensive over here.

I understand that blueiris might be more capable but if just between dahua and hikvision. Are there any features that are better then another?

I thought the starlight or firefighter are meat to be good for low light? But will look thru the wiki still.

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just like PCs, there are good NVRs and cheap NVRs. With Dahua stick with the 5xxx series or better and you’ll be fine. Stay away from the “Lite” models.
I’ve installed 8, 16, and 32 port versions. The 32 currently has 16 4MP 5442 series Starlights and 4 2MP Starlights running all at 30 FPS and max bitrate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I do like blueiris just that with kids now I no longer have the time to build from scratch and want something that work out of the box.
I don't want to get used pc or server as I tend to be pretty bad luck and always end up issues afterwards too. Some gear pretty expensive over here.

I understand that blueiris might be more capable but if just between dahua and hikvision. Are there any features that are better then another?

I thought the starlight or firefighter are meat to be good for low light? But will look thru the wiki still.

Thanks.

You dont have to build anything. In fact, its foolish to build a pc. When we say "used" we are talking about an hp elitedesk/prodesk pc that was probably used for a month if that and has generally over 2 years left on its next business day warranty. I have literally purchased at over 100 of these for business and blue iris use. They dont skip a beat. Hundreds of others here have done the same. We are talking about a 200-400 pc depending on your load. NVR's dont work out of the box, they need to be setup just like blue iris does.
Based on your posts I highly encourage you to buy an NVR, then you will appreciate blue iris so much more when you switch.

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I am planning to get four 5442 the 4mp starlight. Will dahua nvr lite be alright to use the features on the camera or do I need pro?

From dahua website. The difference between pro and lite that I can see below.

-maximum 320mbps for pro, max 200mpbs for lite;
-up to 12mp for preview & playback, 8mp for lite;
-epoe for pro and none for lite;
-5 yrs warranty vs 3 years warranty.
-face detection for pro
-missing object detection.

Anything else?

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats about it. Though I recently picked up a 4116-8P-4KS2 for testing and it does have Face Detection (which only works well under ideal conditions)

Basically the Lite versions have less processing power and allow for less incoming bandwidth. If you have any questions about adding more cameras in the future (you will trust me) , I would spend the little extra and get the Pro 52xx series

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats about it. Though I recently picked up a 4116-8P-4KS2 for testing and it does have Face Detection (which only works well under ideal conditions)

Basically the Lite versions have less processing power and allow for less incoming bandwidth. If you have any questions about adding more cameras in the future (you will trust me) , I would spend the little extra and get the Pro 52xx series
I see. Sure will check the price for pro.

I recently found my old pc parts amd 9850 black quod core and asus m3a70_t deluxe.
I wonder if this is sufficient to run blueiris?

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend emailing andy for quotes

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend emailing andy for quotes

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
Yes I did contact Andy for pricing. Just can't quite decide on the model yet.

Anyone test IPC-T3541T-ZAS? Can't find anything on the forum. Is this the newer version for IPC-T3441T-ZAS?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

winderic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me if I use blueiris what features am I using compare to dahua nvr?
I know there is this automatic recovery from sd card. Anything else? Thanks