Hello & Thanks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Steveee, Aug 22, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Steveee

Steveee n3wb

Hello from England, and a big THANK YOU to everyone who contributes on this Forum.
    After fitting and then removing and returning 2 off the shelf camera systems (one of them Reolink, and yes they are sh*t), I decided to research properly and found this Forum.
    WOW , what a lot of information and experience you guys have made available. I have spent the last month reading and investigating various things mentioned in the Cliff notes and elsewhere on this Forum.
    openVPN, Don't port forward, turn off uPnP, 2mp vs 8mp cameras, and lots more I never even thought about before, I now have a basic understanding of THANKS to you guys.

I have ordered from Andy a Dahua POE NVR and some cameras(thanks for your reviews),
    I am quite security conscious and just wanted to check?
    Should I access the ipcams directly to change passwords before I connect it to POE NVR, or would this then cause problems with connecting cams to NVR ? , or is this unnecessary as the cameras will be on their own subnet anyway?

I will be using openVPN, definitely no port forwarding or p2p, any suggestions about initial setting up, of a POE NVR system would be greatly appreciated.

mat200 likes this.
  2. gwminor48

gwminor48 Getting comfortable

Hello, welcome to the forum.

3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee IPCT Contributor

:welcome:
    if you have been lurking for a while and from your post you do not need "My standard welcome to the forum message." :wave:

catcamstar likes this.
  4. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

No, don't do anything to the cameras prior to plugging then into the NVR one at a time. No initialization, nada.
    Setup the NVR, then plug one camera in at a time, wait until the first camera appears on screen, then plug in the next, repeat.

SouthernYankee likes this.
  5. Steveee

Steveee n3wb

OK, Will do, Thanks for the advice :)