Hello & Thanks

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello from England, and a big THANK YOU to everyone who contributes on this Forum.
After fitting and then removing and returning 2 off the shelf camera systems (one of them Reolink, and yes they are sh*t), I decided to research properly and found this Forum.
WOW , what a lot of information and experience you guys have made available. I have spent the last month reading and investigating various things mentioned in the Cliff notes and elsewhere on this Forum.
openVPN, Don't port forward, turn off uPnP, 2mp vs 8mp cameras, and lots more I never even thought about before, I now have a basic understanding of THANKS to you guys.

I have ordered from Andy a Dahua POE NVR and some cameras(thanks for your reviews),
I am quite security conscious and just wanted to check?
Should I access the ipcams directly to change passwords before I connect it to POE NVR, or would this then cause problems with connecting cams to NVR ? , or is this unnecessary as the cameras will be on their own subnet anyway?

I will be using openVPN, definitely no port forwarding or p2p, any suggestions about initial setting up, of a POE NVR system would be greatly appreciated.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello from England, and a big THANK YOU to everyone who contributes on this Forum.
After fitting and then removing and returning 2 off the shelf camera systems (one of them Reolink, and yes they are sh*t), I decided to research properly and found this Forum.
WOW , what a lot of information and experience you guys have made available. I have spent the last month reading and investigating various things mentioned in the Cliff notes and elsewhere on this Forum.
openVPN, Don't port forward, turn off uPnP, 2mp vs 8mp cameras, and lots more I never even thought about before, I now have a basic understanding of THANKS to you guys.

I have ordered from Andy a Dahua POE NVR and some cameras(thanks for your reviews),
I am quite security conscious and just wanted to check?
Should I access the ipcams directly to change passwords before I connect it to POE NVR, or would this then cause problems with connecting cams to NVR ? , or is this unnecessary as the cameras will be on their own subnet anyway?

I will be using openVPN, definitely no port forwarding or p2p, any suggestions about initial setting up, of a POE NVR system would be greatly appreciated.
No, don't do anything to the cameras prior to plugging then into the NVR one at a time. No initialization, nada.
Setup the NVR, then plug one camera in at a time, wait until the first camera appears on screen, then plug in the next, repeat.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns , I tried your suggestion using Chrome with IE Tab extension, but HFW7842 Camera still asks for plug in when I access it through web browser(via link in NVR registration page). Tried using plug in, but that does't work either.
I must be missing something !
Tried various other browsers too, no luck,

NVR Works OK in IE and Chrome including live view etc. IE did ask for plug in though(which worked OK), and chrome did not show Face Library in AI section.
firmware version V4.000.0000000.1

HFW7842
firmware version 2.800.0000000.3

Camera is Poe direct to NVR.

I understand your very busy, so whenever you have time, i would be grateful if you could help me figure this out.
Until then I will get by best I can.

Anyone else have suggestions, be very grateful too. THANKS.
Have you tried using Palemoon broswer, 32bit version.
I would un-install all of the plug-ins you can find on your system, and download them fresh from the camera.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I did try Palemoon 32bit , no luck.
I will try your suggestion with the plug ins Tomorrow, (working late tonight).
Thanks for the help. :)

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for your help @looney2ns ,

Now have camera browser working with Live view.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but it worked for me:-
1. uninstall plugins
2. Connect to NVR with Lan cable to spare Poe port.
3. Go to normal NVR web login address 192.168.x.xx ( Thought this a bit strange as computer now shows ipv4 address 10.1.1.xx, same network as cams, but would not connect direct to camera address)
4. Through link on NVR registration page access camera browser, download and install plugin.
5. Disconnect Lan cable.
6. Through normal wifi, access NVR web browser, through to camera web browser, live video now working ok.

I've put method I used, just in case anyone else having same problem.

One note I might add,
I put 2 diferent cameras on like this, when I tried to add another cam, message popped up asking to uninstall a plugin, so I stopped there.
I will make all necessary adjustments, then add other cameras.