Hello world! Thank you, and a question...

adam_adam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you to those of you who have posted guides on this site. Largely based on this site's information, I am going to have the following setup:

- PC running WIN10 and BI. Comes with HDD. Purchasing a 2TB Purple HDD. Based on info here, I should plan on buying a SSD to replace the original HDD (right?).

I have Ubiquiti Gateway / PoE Switches / WAP. I am hoping to use this existing gear to hook up the 5 (mostly Dahau) PoE IP cameras I purchased (4 of 5 purchased from Andy/EmpireCandy).

Question: If I have two of the US-8-60W Ubiquiti switches (which have 4 PoE ports each), but I have more than 4 PoE IP cameras, I am wondering how to proceed:
  1. Plug some PoE cameras into one switch, some into the other (see diagram below).
  2. Keep the BI machine and PoE cameras all on one switch -- and use PoE injectors to power any PoE cameras that are plugged into the switch's non-PoE ports.
  3. Buy a third PoE switch that has more than 4 PoE slots, so that I can power all IP cameras with PoE from the switch, and have the BI machine and all IP cameras on a single switch. (This means buying an expensive switch, if I stick with Ubiquiti).
Image:

Note: in the diagram above, the 4 left ports in each switch are non-PoE and the 4 right ports are PoE (802.3af).

Last edited:

adam_adam

n3wb
Reaction score
My main question was:
Is it OK to have PoE cameras split across two switches, like the diagram shows (i.e., option # 1), or is there a benefit to having all PoE cameras and the PC BI NVR machine all one one switch (i.e., option #2 or #3)?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good set up. No problem have multiple POE switches.
All is good as long as the camera traffic does not go to the router to get to the BI PC.
I use 4 POE switches that are connected to a non POE switch, which is were the BI machine connects into.