Hello

person0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been browsing the site and reading many threads and resources over the past few days. My wife, I, and our seven children, will be moving into a new home soon. I had the contractors run 1" conduit from the unfinished basement to every room in the house, and to all 4 corner soffits in preparation to run my own Cat6 Ethernet and also POE cameras and AP's. Building a house has been a long and daunting process, but now that we are almost complete, the time has come for me to get serious about research and planning for my camera setup!

Current plans in the works:
- Mikrotik hAP ac² as router and depending on need, up to three TP-Link EAP245 for WiFi
- Blue Iris dedicated PC (Something like this -I already have four used business pc's similar to this in use in other ways and have had nothing but positive experiences going that route!)
- I already own a TP-Link 24 port Gigabit Switch, but will be adding a POE switch dedicated to the cameras and AP's
- Gradual growth of monitoring capabilities. ( I intend to purchase an additional camera every couple of months until I have enough to monitor what I want - approximately 7 outdoor and 4 indoor - this is where the research led me to this forum!)

Anyway, I have read through the cliff notes twice; interestingly, some of the information I had already found a while back (like the aluminum sheet metal as a mounting point for the POE cameras - my wife and I were super excited about using this method!), but for the most part it is a well written and helpful document.

I will continue to browse, and plan to ask a few questions, but thought I would introduce myself and say hello for now!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome e to the forum.

Run your pvc conduit to all the doors. So you can have a non wifi for cameras.

person0

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome e to the forum.

Run your pvc conduit to all the doors. So you can have a non wifi for cameras.
Unfortunately, it's a little too late to run additional conduit without tearing down walls, but I will still be able to have all POE and no WiFi cameras. It is set up in such a way to make that possible. I do not want WiFi cameras. I do wish I had thought to run a small conduit to behind the doorbell though, although, I do not like any of the existing POE doorbell options.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's a little too late to run additional conduit without tearing down walls, but I will still be able to have all POE and no WiFi cameras. It is set up in such a way to make that possible. I do not want WiFi cameras. I do wish I had thought to run a small conduit to behind the doorbell though, although, I do not like any of the existing POE doorbell options.
Camera for mounting at front door in 2.8mm lens, 5-6 ft high.
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology