Hello!

Dlleno

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

New to but interested enough to build a new cam and VTR system . Been through the reading gamut from wyze to arlo to ubiquity , nest, simplisafe and yes even ring. I have a synology 918 Nas but alergic to their ip cam license structure. So now I'm looking at blue iris and reolink and will be studying the discussions here to broaden my horizons.

Dlleno

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice . Learning is occurring! I just started to read about neo... good to know.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink is non standard crap. If you want a big headache please use reolink. They use cloud, they lack configuration, the are not good at night, they are overpriced......

:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Reolink is non standard crap. If you want a big headache please use reolink. They use cloud, they lack configuration, the are not good at night, they are overpriced......

:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
This could not be any better of a welcome message!

Dlleno

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent info thank you that was precisely the summary I was looking for. Glad I found this site... the brand influencers and fake reviews really paint a different picture

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
some of the dahua or hikvision on amazon is ok and some a bad.

For dahua cameras the go to supplier is Andy at Empire Technology Co., Ltd for forum member. Andy provides outstanding service and quality product.
There are two stores
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2ZLH9EASI4NPC&imprToken=Un1IYFBEPuDoU--hPe1bZA&imprToken=YMaeiZm6o67n4w09k8ZlfA&linkCode=w61&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&redirect=true&slotNum=0&slotNum=0&tag=ipctk-20&ref=as_at

if what you want is not there email him. kingsecurity2014@163.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dlleno

n3wb
Reaction score
Pardon the question but clarification would be most gratefully recieved re the following:

"Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras"

Yet the recommendation appears:

"Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com..."

Last edited:

G. Belli

n3wb
Reaction score
Pardon the question but clarification would be most gratefully recieved re the following:

"Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras"

Yet the recommendation appears:

"Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com..."
What I understand is that most sellers offer inferior products intended for the Chinese market with hacked firmware.

This Andy offers the same product you can buy at retail but without logos, and also use the standard non-Chinese firmware.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The recommendation is for one specific vendor. Please learn to read for meaning.

Andy sells International versions of dahua cameras. Most other sellers take low quality Chinese hardware and hack it with an English web interface. If it can not be upgrade then it is a hack.

Andy provides outstanding service, just search for posts on his service. He also posts when firmware dates are available, and he takes returns if there is a hardware failure.

@EMPIRETECANDY

Last edited:

Dlleno

n3wb
Reaction score
What I understand is that most sellers offer inferior products intended for the Chinese market with hacked firmware.

This Andy offers the same product you can buy at retail but without logos, and also use the standard non-Chinese firmware.
Thanks that is helpful. Andy is apparently one of many vendors selling on Ali I think that's what I was tripping over...one can buy from Andy on Ali or one can buy from Andy outside of Ali and one can also buy from Andy on Amazon. I hope I got that right

I read that Andy is the go to guy and that one can find his stuff on Ali, and then i read to avoid Chinese hacked cams on Ali and didn't get that Ali has both the Andy and the bad.

Good stuff thanks for the helpful comment