[Help] - Cannot use SMTP on my HFW5442T-ASE (Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE) but can use on my NVR...

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So whenever I try to configure the SMTP email for my camera HFW5442T-ASE (Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE) , it doesn't work. It just keeps saying fail....However, I succeed when setting up SMTP email on NVR... Trying to setup SMTP email for IVS and motion detection etc

Details:

1. Using Yahoo
2. have tried switching to Port: 587 Authentication: TLS
3. followed instructions from Email/Email Notifications Setup Yahoo - Dahua Wiki
4. Firmware all up to date.
5. Tried using different browser
6. Cleared cookies and cache
7. Unplugged NVR from router/modem.
8. Unplugged Camera too
9. Tried configuring it using SmartPSS also failed

UPDATE (11 - 01 - 2020): I encountered a few people who also experienced this problem but their fixing methods did not work for me: and does dahua email have a preference for gmail?

Screenshot:

fail.PNG

Setup: 2/01/2020

mikesetup.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update: Just tried to make a new Yahoo email (with generated application password) and still not working... any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated? Thnx

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the camera plugged into the POE switch on the NVR, Then the camera is on the NVR network and can not see the internet.

If the camera is on the local home network with the same subnet as the router then it should work.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the camera plugged into the POE switch on the NVR, Then the camera is on the NVR network and can not see the internet.

If the camera is on the local home network with the same subnet as the router then it should work.
Hey Yankee,

Thanks for coming by and trying to assist me. Happy new year too!

"If the camera is on the local home network with the same subnet as the router then it should work." - Is there a way I can check this? I'm using P2P

I have drawn a diagram of my setup. Hopefully this helps. The camera is indeed plugged in the POE switch on the NVR . Look forward to hearing you back.

mikesetup.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee Update: My Subnet mask for my modem router is the same as the camera. Can confirm that. Just checked haha. Hope my setup above is also good? Hope we can work together to fix up this problem? :(

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not think that will work. I am not an NVR expert.

An NVR has two IP address one of the local home network an one for the camera network. The NVR is not a router and the data from the cameras stop at the NVR.

There may be away around this problem But I do not know what it is.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So whenever I try to configure the SMTP email for my camera HFW5442T-ASE (Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE) , it doesn't work.
I don't know if a similar arrangement works for Dahua NVRs as it does for Hikvision NVRs when cameras are connected to their PoE ports - but this is how to get NVR PoE-port connected cameras to send email, or be accessible from the LAN, for a Hikvision NVR -
As the Dahua NVR has the equivalent of the Virtual Host, this may be worth testing.
A simple test would be to try a ping or browser connectionto the camera actual IP address from a PC on the LAN.

Normally, network traffic from an NVR PoE-connected camera won't flow to the WAN.
But it can if these 3 conditions apply :
The camera has the NVR PoE interface IP address as it's default gateway, usually 192.168.254.1 for Hikvision NVRs. This needs the camera channel to be in 'Manual' mode to prevent the NVR changing the gateway back. Usually when a Hikvision NVR 'Activates' a camera, under Plug&Play, it gives the camera the NVR default gateway (ie your router) as its gateway IP address. This inhibits traffic flow outside the PoE segment.
The NVR has 'Virtual Host active. This enables traffic flow between both the NVR LAN and PoE interfaces.
The LAN router / gateway has a static route so that it knows how to direct traffic to/from the NVR PoE interface IP address range.
Something like :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address> as gateway."

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not think that will work. I am not an NVR expert.

An NVR has two IP address one of the local home network an one for the camera network. The NVR is not a router and the data from the cameras stop at the NVR.

There may be away around this problem But I do not know what it is.
Ah I see. That's okay. Hopefully someone around can help me out.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know if a similar arrangement works for Dahua NVRs as it does for Hikvision NVRs when cameras are connected to their PoE ports - but this is how to get NVR PoE-port connected cameras to send email, or be accessible from the LAN, for a Hikvision NVR -
As the Dahua NVR has the equivalent of the Virtual Host, this may be worth testing.
A simple test would be to try a ping or browser connectionto the camera actual IP address from a PC on the LAN.
Hey Ala,

Thanks for squeezing in your time to come by and assist me.

I'm not a profession in pinging but is this right:

• Press Window Key + R key at same time
  • Type in "cmd", hit <enter>
  • In black command prompt window, type "ping 10.16.0.xx" (camera ip address), hit <enter>
  • Wait a few mins
  • Type "exit" and hit <enter> to close command prompt window
Look forward to your response. Thanks a bunch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a profession in pinging but is this right:

• Press Window Key + R key at same time
  • Type in "cmd", hit <enter>
  • In black command prompt window, type "ping 10.16.0.xx" (camera ip address), hit <enter>
  • Wait a few mins
  • Type "exit" and hit <enter> to close command prompt window
Yep, you got it.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What IP address does your computer/laptop have? (probably 192.168.x.x)
Login to the NVR and what IP address does each of the cameras have? (default is the 10.1.1.x range I believe)

If the camera is connected to the NVR, you will not be able to see it from outside the NVR network. (even if your router is serving 10.1.1.x).
I have emails working, but it is setup in the NVR and not the cameras.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, you got it.
@alastairstevenson @TonyR @usaf_pride Great, I've just finished doing the pinging for each/both cameras. I have also screenshotted the results here:

reslts.PNG

Note: Since making this post, I did not make any changes to anything. All has been the same.

P.S. The IP Address for each camera is revealed when opening the Configtool provided by the toolbox. All tests were done using laptop wth ethernet cable plugged into one of the poe ports of the NVR.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What IP address does your computer/laptop have? (probably 192.168.x.x)
Login to the NVR and what IP address does each of the cameras have? (default is the 10.1.1.x range I believe)

If the camera is connected to the NVR, you will not be able to see it from outside the NVR network. (even if your router is serving 10.1.1.x).
I have emails working, but it is setup in the NVR and not the cameras.
I have ipv4 and ipv6 enabled in my router modem. My laptop ip address for ipv4 starts as 192.168.xxx.xx

Each camera ip is 10.1.1.66 and 10.1.1.67 and yes the cameras are connected to the Dahua NVR

Hope this help :D.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All tests were done using laptop wth ethernet cable plugged into one of the poe ports of the NVR.
Since you're plugged into NVR's POE port then that's how you're able to ping the cams OK because that's the cam's own subnet; that's NOT the same as the NVR's LAN port (same subnet as your PC).
Why not set up SMTP in the NVR as @usaf_pride suggested?

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you're plugged into NVR's POE port then that's how you're able to ping the cams OK because that's the cam's own subnet; that's NOT the same as the NVR's LAN port (same subnet as your PC).
Why not set up SMTP in the NVR as @usaf_pride suggested?
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yep, my NVRs SMTP as stated in the title and body description is already setup successfully.Though, the email notifications do not work at all.. especially for triggers like IVS/Motion detection. I tried making numerous Yahoo emails and issue still remains :(. I thought the camera is also suppose to have the SMTP setup since having the SMTP setup i the NVR is not sending my emails...

P.S. The IVS/Motion detection do trigger the iDMSS pro notifications but not SMTP ;(.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update: just tried using a different email provider and the issue still persist.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What NVR do you have and which firmware version are you using on your NVR?

There was a firmware update to get SMTP working.