HELP CHOOSE - I'm down to two PC's

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Too expensive... Where are you going to put your drives??
Its new under warranty.. Didn't see anything else comparative really, maybe a dented one for a little less... Drives are external, stated that earlier in the thread. Time isn't a lot of what I have right now, it be waiting for a great deal i hope i catch, or digging up all the parts and building another... I normally build, but this was quick and now.. done and over with.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All the Lenovo's are more right now... Went with the Dell...
My point is you could get these for cheaper regardless of brand. Just wait a few days...
Even right now there are cheaper dells.

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My point is you could get these for cheaper regardless of brand. Just wait a few days...
Even right now there are cheaper dells.
Not new... 495 for a dented one out of warranty.. spent 30 more bucks got a new one with warranty. Next one up is the i5-12500t for 545...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its new under warranty.. Didn't see anything else comparative really, maybe a dented one for a little less... Drives are external, stated that earlier in the thread. Time isn't a lot of what I have right now, it be waiting for a great deal i hope i catch, or digging up all the parts and building another... I normally build, but this was quick and now.. done and over with.
Its not new, its open box and was purchased in april. All the i5-12500 dells would have similar warranties.
External drives are notoriously unreliable and I would not use them on a BI system.

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its not new, its open box and was purchased in april. All the i5-12500 dells would have similar warranties.
External drives are notoriously unreliable and I would not use them on a BI system.

Been using mine that way for years now with zero issues. Not to say it doesn't become a problem, but I haven't had any issues.... Open box is unused... new enough....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been using mine that way for years now with zero issues. Not to say it doesn't become a problem, but I haven't had any issues.... Open box is unused... new enough....
Youll have a problem...at the worst time. Makes no sense to spend 500 and not get a system that can actually hold your drives.
Used is no problem. Over the last 10 years I have purchased several hundred dell / hp/ lenovo business class machines. Zero have failed within warranty - and one had a power supply failure after many years...the warranty is worthless. But hey, you know better...should have just gone with the i7-10700...

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Youll have a problem...at the worst time. Makes no sense to spend 500 and not get a system that can actually hold your drives.
Used is no problem. Over the last 10 years I have purchased several hundred dell / hp/ lenovo business class machines. Zero have failed within warranty - and one had a power supply failure after many years...the warranty is worthless. But hey, you know better...should have just gone with the i7-10700...
Thanks for help, I appreciate it.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not how I would spend my money, but the machine the OP got will certainly work (although it would have been nice to have internal HD cages).

Obviously the OP is going to find that the machine is EXTREME overkill for BI. I'd be surprised if the CPU ever reached 10% usage. That's a lot of computer to simple not use......

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Redid my office and while at it, decided to redo all the cams around the house.

Using BI - 4 PTZ's (2 4k, 2 1080, 4 dome 1080)'
TheG8One, Are you still using the original Dahua PTZ's from years ago. Just curious,

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not how I would spend my money, but the machine the OP got will certainly work (although it would have been nice to have internal HD cages).

Obviously the OP is going to find that the machine is EXTREME overkill for BI. I'd be surprised if the CPU ever reached 10% usage. That's a lot of computer to simple not use......
I know it's overkill - that pc will have dual purpose... And honestly I may go to one HDD and slap it inside and be done. I've never needed footage over a week or two old.

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
TheG8One, Are you still using the original Dahua PTZ's from years ago. Just curious,

I have all Hanwha now, but I do still have that PTZ youre talking about, It works great. I think I need to reset it and it's good to go. OT I bought a few PTZ's from Nellys to play with - they all died within a year.