Help choosing cameras and system from a recent burglary victim

dmiller

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The issue is the side of my house to the side of their house is like maybe 15-20 feet. It's very difficult to "watch" my side w/o capturing theirs. They were already concerned with me putting in motion activated flood lights. I will certainly speak to them
If you have a fence between properties putting a camera on a fence post looking in can work well. This setup works particularly well if the camera on the property edge is in the view of another camera.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting reading. This morning I had 3 neighbors and a cop looking at my video footage of a little "bastage" walking up our driveways and checking for unlocked doors. He managed to get 2 laptops from the neighbors that "had our hands full and just forgot to lock our doors".

Even with 2 big dogs, a burglar alarm, and over a dozen cameras we're still looking at video "after the fact". Like these guys in the forum are saying, some common sense and preventative measures will go a long way in the future. Post a sign. Lock your doors. Don't leave stuff visible in your car. Install motion sensing lights. Maybe install a doorbell camera. Then you might not have the gendarmes asking for the video from your semi-useless gazillion dollar video setup that got beat by a punk in a hoodie that won't lift his chin and smile for the camera.

We at least nailed down that it was a male driving a Grand Cherokee at 05:10am. He decimated several streets in my city today. Karma will catch up with him some day.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have just about as many cameras inside as I do outside. The inside cameras are mounted low, 4-6 ft up, in the general "public" areas ( hall way, living room, kitchen, art studio, man cave). No bath or bed rooms.

Currently have three dogs. Also a gated court yard, before the front door. I park the cars in the garage.

sfitz527

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An alternative/aid to a pressure mat would be either including a passive infrared sensor (PIR sensor) or photoelectric beam sensor into the system. I have two photoelectric beam sensors setup on my property that I enable when away to send a push notification to my phone if anyone crosses their path. They have been exponentially more reliable than motion detection or intrusion detection on the software side for sending a push notification to my phone to check what is going on at the property. These can easily be incorporated into your setup with the "alarm input" pigtail with many cameras nowadays. I've been using the Seco-Larm E-931-S35RRQ Enforcer for $50 from Amazon but there are hundreds of others to assist your cameras/traditional alarm system.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When a neighbor's boyfriend moved in to the house next door he was warned that I had cameras. At first he thought it was creepy. Three months later they had two cameras to "watch the cat". When another neighbor got hit by "porch pirates" she asked me if I had a camera that viewed her porch. At the time, I did not. I think you will find that in time they will warm up to your cameras. Especially if they are not pointing into their windows!