Help me decide

bnd74

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have a a POE system... LTS NVR and looking to replace an older analog system that came with the house we purchased.

Where I am getting stuck is the focal length... which I more or less understand but after reading this forum for the past few days... some have suggested the Dahua varifocal turret... and it looks like the model is a 2MP model. The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

I was looking to go with a bunch of Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I with different focal length.

My question is... is there anything better/newer on the market? Such as 3MP/4MP varifocal POE turret camera?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a a POE system... LTS NVR and looking to replace an older analog system that came with the house we purchased.

Where I am getting stuck is the focal length... which I more or less understand but after reading this forum for the past few days... some have suggested the Dahua varifocal turret... and it looks like the model is a 2MP model. The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

I was looking to go with a bunch of Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I with different focal length.

My question is... is there anything better/newer on the market? Such as 3MP/4MP varifocal POE turret camera?
Welcome bnd74

Varifocal makes it easy to just buy one model and adjust once you've set it up. Saves on a lot of headaches. You can of course take some time to determine your needs and see which fixed lens camera works for each location instead - that would save you some cash in exchange for your time to calculate better what your needs are. So you'll have to decide what you have more of, time or cash ;-)

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

bnd74

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Looney, I actually read a bunch of your other posts that just led me to settle for the Dahua 5231Z... Andy from Empire gave me a good deal on the 5231ZE but ultimately like you mentioned, it came down to aesthetics, and the wife would have not like that black face!

I'll review that link you pointed me to... thank you so much.

bnd74

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome bnd74

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
Yes tell me about it! I was taking the chance to be hit with a bat on the head for asking a question I am sure has been asked elsewhere already!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes tell me about it! I was taking the chance to be hit with a bat on the head for asking a question I am sure has been asked elsewhere already!
Also.. If your current coax wiring is really nicely done and difficult to replace you may want to consider a NVR which also supports HDCVI cameras as well as PoE and run additional PoE lines to new locations.

LOL .. lots of options.

bnd74

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Mat, sorry got distracted with work.... but I did end up ordering the Dahua Starlight from Andy.

I had the house wired with CAT6 so no problem there.

The Dahua cameras don't really play nicely as far as the setup goes with the LTS NVR... they were also set to the static IP 192.168.1.108... and it wasn't after butting head that I realized it was a static IP instead of DHCP... but even turning them to DHCP didn't provision an IP from the LTS NVR... so I had to set them up with a static IP on the same subnet as the LTS NVR.

I was looking at moving on to a Dahua NVR since I now have 12+ Dahua cameras vs 2 Hikvision cameras.

Also.. If your current coax wiring is really nicely done and difficult to replace you may want to consider a NVR which also supports HDCVI cameras as well as PoE and run additional PoE lines to new locations.

LOL .. lots of options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Mat, sorry got distracted with work.... but I did end up ordering the Dahua Starlight from Andy.

I had the house wired with CAT6 so no problem there.

The Dahua cameras don't really play nicely as far as the setup goes with the LTS NVR... they were also set to the static IP 192.168.1.108... and it wasn't after butting head that I realized it was a static IP instead of DHCP... but even turning them to DHCP didn't provision an IP from the LTS NVR... so I had to set them up with a static IP on the same subnet as the LTS NVR.

I was looking at moving on to a Dahua NVR since I now have 12+ Dahua cameras vs 2 Hikvision cameras.
Hi Bnd74,

I have a NVR5216-16P-4KS2, works well for me. There's a thread on that NVR here - firmware updates have resolve issues mentioned in the thread. Suggest taking a look at that model, or considering a Blue Iris windows PC + PoE switch.