help on selecting the "right" camera-

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all. doing a lot of reading to find the "right" camera, but its like a rabbit hole :)
therefor was hoping that someone could help me finding the "right" camera. from what I can see/read, then this camera Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS should be best for the money? is it still that or is there other brands/model that is as good as this (value for money)

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are you going to use the camera for ?
Where is it going to be mounted Height ?
Expected distance for camera of face ID ?
Provide screen shots of mounting location .
They will be used for home surveillance together with Blue Iris (not bought yet, but will as soon as i have the cameras :) )
the hight is approx. 5 meters and will be mounted on the eaves (think its called that), 2 of the cameras will be mounted in the driveway and need to "reach" /partially face id from 6 meters.
the rest 4 will be mounted across the house (backyard) and the longest distance is approx. 12 meters
for the driveway there is little to no light (street light) only have some light in front of the garage.
for the backyard there is some tall streetlight around the yard.

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
:goodpost:

"Best" is elusive, depends on budget, needs, expectations, and installation location. Need lots more info.

The 5442TM-AS is a very good camera, for some installations. It sucks for others.
the budget is around 1500 usd for camera ,

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Saying they'll be used for "home surveillance" doesn't help much. Every camera has a specific function, field of view, to watch a specific area. Wide angles covering sweeping views do nothing other than tell you something happened, not who did what. As an example I have a camera watching the approaches to the front of the house from the east, another from the west and another from the north to fill in the blank spots. Then there's a doorbell camera that effectively watches the front door and package drop area.

At five meters height all you'll get for ID purposes is if the person has male pattern baldness and that assumes no hoodie or hat. Cameras need to be no higher than 2.5 meters, maximum, for identification purposes. The higher they are, the steeper that angle becomes as they come closer the less you can see other than the top of the head.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera you mention is a great camera, I have three of them. As mentioned, your mounting height is high, guessing you are under the eaves of a multi-story house?

Keep in mind you don't have to build the system all at once.

I started with one Dahua 2MP varifocal and Blue Iris to get my feet wet one year ago. I now have four Dahua cameras recording 24/7 and several I have purchased but not mounted (waiting for Spring). Two of my four active cameras are the 5442.

Make sure you read the Cliff Notes

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very much agree with camera height. It sounds pretty high if you are trying to 'ID' anyone. I would try to find a place that is lower. My camera for my front door is just under 7 feet and I still think it would be better at eye level (something like 5 to 6 feet). But for my location, any lower brings the very bright street into the frame and that ruins the exposure (under exposes the face), so I had to go with 7 feet and aimed down a bit. I would echo what others have indicated, buy a camera or two, get BI going and place the cameras in a temp fashion so you can see if those locations will work for you.

For me, a camera 5 meters up in the air would do no good for ID or anything else. But if you have a large lot and just want to know if something enters it, then it might work well for that.

I installed my two cameras facing my driveway at the 4 foot level and feel it works really well. Since they are facing the street directly there are no exposure issues (like on my porch which is covered) and when anyone approaches they catch faces really well. The drawback at such a low placement is that I don't want any alerts from someone in the street (I use zones to block off the street from alerts), so it becomes a pretty thin line of where I get my alerts from. Meaning that they have to walk a fifth of the way up my 22 foot driveway before I get an alert. So far I am happy. It works for me since once they are that close the cameras begin recording and I have very actionable clips. I will take clear/actionable images over not getting alerted the second they step off the sidewalk. I have three cameras on the front, two on the driveway and one on the front porch. Then three more for the back yard, two at 7 foot and one at 6 foot.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres a 5442 2.8mm. very wide shot. can only read plates on cars as they enter the garage. but they tend to blur. The goal wasn't plates here. the goal was WTF is going on outfront. UPS/Fedex/ HVAC guy, etc......furniture trucks......

115.jpgbobbikcar2.jpg