Help picking system

adam072987

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a new house and am thinking of doing a complete system and am looking for suggestions.

Id like:
4 mostly white dome cameras
8 channel NVR with POE switch built in(4k or 1080). I will eventually be adding external cameras hence the extra NVR slots.

I will be placing these over some entrance ways so I dont need any extreme distances.

I am trying to keep this as simple/plug and play as possible and this seems to be the best way to accomplish this. If Im missing anything Id appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a new house and am thinking of doing a complete system and am looking for suggestions.

Id like:
4 mostly white dome cameras
8 channel NVR with POE switch built in(4k or 1080). I will eventually be adding external cameras hence the extra NVR slots.

I will be placing these over some entrance ways so I dont need any extreme distances.

I am trying to keep this as simple/plug and play as possible and this seems to be the best way to accomplish this. If Im missing anything Id appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
Welcome Adam,

Definitely check out the notes Mark ( giomania ) has assembled. Please let us know if anything in the notes needs clarification or if you see any typos and the like.

Also note ( the notes mentioned above should cover some of this .. )

Common mistakes:
  • Too few cameras installed. Plan for at least 6-8 cameras. Have 2+ cameras covering the approach to and including the front door area.
  • Cameras mounted too high. Mount cameras < 8 feet high to get a good angle for potential ID purposes.
  • Poor quality, resolution, and wide angle cameras resulting in short ID distances.
  • Over estimating the quality of motion detection and video snap shots and thus no recording full time ( 24/7 )
  • Over estimating the reliability of wire free and wifi cameras, as well as cloud connectivity.
  • Placing cameras indoors behind windows looking out. Window glass typically will reflect IR signals, thus rendering PIR motion detection and IR base night vision nearly useless.
  • Installing dome cameras outdoors. Dome cameras have more glare and IR reflection issues as well as over the long term direct UV exposure will decay the plastic dome. Turret / Eye ball form factor cameras are often better options.
  • Over valuing MP / Megapixels comparing systems. There is a lot more to a security camera in obtaining quality images than MPs. The sensor model and size matter, as does the f stop, lens quality, software / firmware. It gets complex.
  • Installing cameras without bench testing before.