Help Surv Co Owner Design his home system?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I own a surveillance company in Metro Detroit, MI.

I'm just about to close on a new house - so, I'm about to set up a pretty wild (for me) setup at my new house and going to cross some new boundaries that I haven't done before.

Things I haven't done before:
-two way talk door cam (I know dahua makes one? mixed reviews?)
-Auto Tracking PTZ

Like many of you, I prefer Dahua - and tend to use them most often (unless hik is on sale, yuck.) for client installs. Therefore, I have 3 extra 4MP IP Dahua Turrets sitting around right now that I will throw on this house.

Questions/recommendations I'm looking for:
  • Two way Talk door cam - I've never done one of these? I know Dahua has one - seems to have mixed reviews?
  • Auto tracking PTZ - Never done one of these. Looking for recommendations?
  • Can a 8CH Dahua NVR handle 5 channels of: auto tracking PTZ, Two way talk door cam + 3 4MP audio in only turrets?
I was previously thinking that I wanted to do all 4K cams - but quite frankly, I'm happy enough with 4MP. I plan to have this on numerous televisions via HDMI splitters + HDMI over Cat5 and do not feel like upgrading to all 4K televisions or messing with downgrading signals.

Here's some pictures of the house - feel free to make suggestions on placements - but please note, the majority of wiring is going to have to be run through attic because basement is drywall ceiling finished and the previous owner did it - so I don't even want to open that can of worms.

Front.jpg Rear.jpg

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been talking to Andy, here are my thoughts so far:

NVR: NVR5216-16P-4KS2E w/ 6TB HDD
PTZ: SD59225U-HNI
Rear Audio Cams: IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE (2) 3.6MM
Two Way Talk Front Door: IPC-HDW5441H-AS-PV
Front Audio Cam: IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE 2.8MM
Side & Garage Cam: IPC-HDW1431S 4MP 2.8MM (These are the 3 cams I have laying around)

Anybody have any input?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts, worth what you paid for 'em:
  • I like 2 crossing cameras on the driveway.Gives you better ID coverage at the drive and if installed about 7ft, gives you great depth of view of the street (see thumbnails)
  • I'd use the PTZ money and buy a couple more fixed cameras. PTZ in that front yard with the trees isnt going to benefit you
  • Mount cameras at 7-8 ft max. At the doors and drive 6-7
  • Look at VF cameras, sucks when you have a fixed camera and need more/less coverage
  • If you like 4MP cams, look real hard at the new Pro AI series, seriously 10x better. Those 4431's are older 1/3 sensors and wont do well at night.
  • Get two hard drives
  • Those two in the back up high are fine for overview, but you wont get good ID, just bald spots and the tops of hats. I'd have at least two more down low by the door and that big window
vlcsnap-2019-08-03-23h38m06s647.jpg vlcsnap-2019-07-31-21h46m30s127.jpg

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts, worth what you paid for 'em:
  • I like 2 crossing cameras on the driveway.Gives you better ID coverage at the drive and if installed about 7ft, gives you great depth of view of the street (see thumbnails)
  • I'd use the PTZ money and buy a couple more fixed cameras. PTZ in that front yard with the trees isnt going to benefit you
  • Mount cameras at 7-8 ft max. At the doors and drive 6-7
  • Look at VF cameras, sucks when you have a fixed camera and need more/less coverage
  • If you like 4MP cams, look real hard at the new Pro AI series, seriously 10x better. Those 4431's are older 1/3 sensors and wont do well at night. https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/1/7107?tab=7127
  • Get two hard drives
  • Those two in the back up high are fine for overview, but you wont get good ID, just bald spots and the tops of hats. I'd have at least two more down low by the door and that big window
View attachment 47507 View attachment 47508
I get exactly what you're saying about the height of the Cameras, BRF - but, unfortunately, like I said - basement is completely dry walled ceiling. It'd be a nightmare to try to go down with the wires, and to try to go up two stories would be equally as difficult.

oh - and the PTZ is just basically for the cool factor. and honestly, I would have trip wires essentially just on my property. I wouldn't be trying to auto-track the street or the neighbors houses.

on the plus side.. the previous owner paid somebody a lot of money to make an awesome theater setup in the basement. lol

Last edited:

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bigredfish i could mount them up where the second floor of the house starts and fish up the wall from there? Would only have one base plate to contend with then in the attic.

What do you think of that? They’d still be probably mounted 10-12’ up at least. Think that’d be a better locale?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not do the same as you're suggesting but mount at 7ft and just fish the wire a bit further? You've obviously got cavity walls. At height all you're going to get is the top of someones head. Add in a cap and you have no facial.

Also, unless you're sold on an NVR, think about a PC running Blue Iris. Gives you more features, security and flexibility.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not do the same as you're suggesting but mount at 7ft and just fish the wire a bit further? You've obviously got cavity walls. At height all you're going to get is the top of someones head. Add in a cap and you have no facial.

Also, unless you're sold on an NVR, think about a PC running Blue Iris. Gives you more features, security and flexibility.
Basement has drywall finished ceiling. Trying to mount at 7’-8’ would have me fishing through two baseplates on exterior insulated walls.

I don’t even know how I would drill the first baseboard without causing dry wall Damage.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh come on.
Your signature in IPCT could look like this......

sig.png

I'm almost certain the 2k you blow on this camera will be at least 10,000% tax deductible, as an advertising expense*. But only if you include it in IPCT signature!

Did you even look at the teeny tiny windscreen wiper?

*=please consult with your accountant, I just made that up, not going to visit you in the big house.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thinking more and more about this... since this is my house... and I have extra time to deal with stuff - I think I'm going to mount the cam's 7-8' off the ground and just cut holes in drywall that will need to be patched.
My wife.. may kill me.. for putting big holes in our new drywall... but... it may be worth it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Drywall is easy to patch.
Shoulda seen the look on Mrs Bigredfish's face when I cut a hole in the dining room wall to get power to the safe behind it :D

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Drywall is easy to patch.
Shoulda seen the look on Mrs Bigredfish's face when I cut a hole in the dining room wall to get power to the safe behind it :D
Does it also help the situation that I’m going to close on this house, move, and have our first child all in the same month? ... and then cut huge holes in the drywall lol

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bigredfish

I took your advice and upgraded three of those cameras to the AI cameras. Everything should show up from Andy today.

Question - never set up an autotracking PTZ. Can I use CAT5? It’s not going to be more than 100’ run. Or do I have to go cat6?