Help with camera choice AND placement!!

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any advice on what cameras to buy and put where?
I am considering buying from Nellys so it will have to be Hikvision camera's and NVR,...hopefully something they sell.- if not I will buy Hikvision elsewhere if needed. (I am hoping if you recommend a camera they don't offer they will still give me the tech/networking support if I buy "most" of my cameras from them). I read great things about the Dahua Starlights and know Hikvision sells "somewhat" comparable models,...but most of my needs shouldn't be "too" Ultra / low light needed. I will explain later after I show pics and then show more when lit with my landscape lighting and possible (if needed) motion detector lights on the sides of my property.
Please be aware of the basement windows on the left side (when looking at pics ) of the house, as I would like them covered as well as the side itself. And the right side where my truck is I could put a motion detecting light to cover my truck/trailer/landscape equipment if Hik does not make a camera good for that area. Please recommend a good Hik 16 channel NVR (again hopefully a Nellys model) and tell me what / howmany cameras needed for my front. I will work on my back soon but want a 16 CH as I am sure I will need at least 8 cams.
I can give measurements as well if needed

Please note I am a TOTAL novice so I would appreciate recommended cameras as well as what MP's (10180, 4k etc?!!),...what MM (2.8, 3.6 etc etc) Please try to talk in not tech talk as I have been researching and the more I do the more confused I get!!!! :embarrassed: :banghead:

Will a google earth pic help,...if so how do I take one?!!!:facepalm:
IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0281.jpg

Attachments

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it is worth my computer and router are upstairs in the room on the left side (2nd story) in the farthest window you see. But I will ask where/how to run wires later!

Oh and I assume POE is the way to go,...at least that what I planned!

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any advice on what cameras to buy and put where?
I am considering buying from Nellys so it will have to be Hikvision camera's and NVR,...hopefully something they sell...

Please note I am a TOTAL novice so I would appreciate recommended cameras as well as what MP's (10180, 4k etc?!!),...what MM (2.8, 3.6 etc etc) Please try to talk in not tech talk as I have been researching and the more I do the more confused I get!!!! :embarrassed: :banghead:
Hi CJ555,

Seeing that you're a total novice as you state, I wanted to share some notes with you. Note, I've been learning mostly about Dahua products so I have less information to share about Hikvision, however the notes below I believe you will find useful.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again mat200! You're always the 1st to respond to my posts!
You actually gave me those links before and they are definitely helpful,....so thanks again!
Feel free to give any opinions on what camera t use where, and where exactly to place it. I am sure there are different opinions and options and I would like to hear them from everyone possible.
With Black Friday coming up I am hoping there will be some good sales so I plan on buying soon---probably should of taken these pics and posted earlier to give time for other people to chime in??!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera is easy: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) Or Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Learn to use this to decide where you want to place cams: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 Keep PPF >100, tutorial on right side.

You want to know who did it not just what happened, so don't mount cams higher than 8ft, or you just get bald spots.

This is like learning Algebra, you won't get it all in one afternoon. Read, study on here.

You can always purchase one or two cams, then make a test rig of a 8x2x4, 5gal bucket, and rocks to test locations and help decide what you need.

By the way, you are the 50th guy this week to ask the same newbie questions. ;) Not a slam on you, just the facts ma'am.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wasn't feeling slammed until you called me ma'am!! :wtf: My name is Carm,...but I am Italian, NOT Spanish!
So guy, sir, dude, bro, man,...idiot,... would of all been better! :lol: (but you did say "50th guy" so now i am really confused! :confused:)
And yeah I have been reading other questions,....and not getting the answers I need,...but this post is mostly geared towards my particular property and what cameras to use AND where.
And as mentioned I am considering using Nelly's so Dahua's are unfortunately not an option

I am not getting as much feedback on this post so I will be starting another one in the camera install link!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't feeling slammed until you called me ma'am!! :wtf: My name is Carm,...but I am Italian, NOT Spanish!
So guy, sir, dude, bro, man,...idiot,... would of all been better! :lol: (but you did say "50th guy" so now i am really confused! :confused:)
And yeah I have been reading other questions,....and not getting the answers I need,...but this post is mostly geared towards my particular property and what cameras to use AND where.
And as mentioned I am considering using Nelly's so Dahua's are unfortunately not an option

I am not getting as much feedback on this post so I will be starting another one in the camera install link!
Hi Carm,

If you pick a varifocal version of whatever camera make / model you can adjust the lens and thus it makes your selection process easier.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sorry, the ma'am comment was an attempt at humor, that failed. It's was a reference to an older tv show. No offence intended.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, the ma'am comment was an attempt at humor, that failed. It's was a reference to an older tv show. No offence intended.
HAHA All good looney! No offense taken. But as old as I am I actually never seen that show!