Help with camera choices AND placement

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Carm,

Here's my notes on locations to consider and number of cameras for coverage:

How many cameras do I need?
That's a difficult question to give a good answer to as it varies depending on the quality of the camera and what you are attempting to accomplish. I have seen 32 cameras in just one pharmacy, so you should not be shy about installing more cameras than you initially imagined.
For a modest house expect decent outdoor coverage with 6-8 good cameras. For better coverage and / or larger houses / buildings plan on getting a system which can support up to 16+ cameras.

Recommended Locations for outside cameras:
( For modest sized houses cameras can cover multiple areas - example one of the front of the house cameras can cover parking area, expect to use 6-8 cameras for a modest size home. )
2x for front of house
1-2x covering car parking area if outside
1-2x covering front entrance
2x covering side of house ( one on each side )
2x covering back of house
1-2x covering each entrance
1-2x covering sidewalk / street in an attempt to ID vehicles ( you may need a better "zoom" for this camera )
0-1,2x dedicated to read license plates ( LPR ). Note you will need to adjust/tune this camera to be able to read license plates.

Recommended - optional - locations for indoor cameras: ( If wiring a new house add cat5e/cat6 connections even if you decide not to include cameras )
1x camera per each entrance
1x camera in the garage
1x cameras hidden facing out from the TV/media center area at face level

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks everyone. Those few options definitely helped, kind of gave me the kickstart that I needed.
It is nice to know I am not the only one who started this venture "completely blind" and knowing nothing. I think the intimidation part was making it worse. But I will keep on reading and learning and hopefully feel confident enough to think I know enough to finally buy the right system for me. (Just wish I decided to do this earlier as every day I wait the colder it gets,...and I would like a system installed like yesterday!)
Never had any problems at my house but I did recently have an $8k piece of equipment stolen at one of my industrial customers property and have been freaking out ever since.
Thanks again and I will definitely give updates on my progress and install. (can't promise I wont be asking a few more "dumb" questions before that though!!!)

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks everyone. Those few options definitely helped, kind of gave me the kickstart that I needed.
It is nice to know I am not the only one who started this venture "completely blind" and knowing nothing. I think the intimidation part was making it worse. But I will keep on reading and learning and hopefully feel confident enough to think I know enough to finally buy the right system for me. (Just wish I decided to do this earlier as every day I wait the colder it gets,...and I would like a system installed like yesterday!)
Never had any problems at my house but I did recently have an $8k piece of equipment stolen at one of my industrial customers property and have been freaking out ever since.
Thanks again and I will definitely give updates on my progress and install. (can't promise I wont be asking a few more "dumb" questions before that though!!!)
As @mat200 says it can be very overwhelming when you initially get started and most people are looking for a simple solution or confirmation on what to do. Unfortunately it's not all that easy if you truly want a solid reliable system. With all the information everyone has provided Looking for some advice and direction! it should get you on the right track and feeling confident. Some of the questions you are asking are not necessarily dumb they have just been asked numerous times before. If questions do come up try using the search function to see if the answers are already in another thread. If your questions relate to Blue Iris, Camera Settings, Computer, etc. be prepared to post pictures of your current settings so others can better assist you. Like others we started off like you and started from scratch with little to no prior knowledge. Just keep up on the reading and learning and you will get there. Looking forward to updates on your progress and pics of your install. This truly is a great forum with a wealth of information and great people willing to help. Good luck!