Help with camera choices AND placement

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted in Chit Chat but got no responses so I figured this may be a better place to start!
(Mods please feel free to delete my original post)

Any advice on what cameras to buy and put where?
I am considering buying from Nellys so it will have to be Hikvision camera's and NVR,...hopefully something they sell.- if not I will buy Hikvision elsewhere if needed. (I am hoping if you recommend a camera they don't offer they will still give me the tech/networking support if I buy "most" of my cameras from them). I read great things about the Dahua Starlights and know Hikvision sells "somewhat" comparable models,...but most of my needs shouldn't be "too" Ultra / low light needed. I will explain later after I show pics and then show more when lit with my landscape lighting and possible (if needed) motion detector lights on the sides of my property.
Please be aware of the basement windows on the left side (when looking at pics ) of the house, as I would like them covered as well as the side itself. And the right side where my truck is I could put a motion detecting light to cover my truck/trailer/landscape equipment if Hik does not make a camera good for that area. Please recommend a good Hik 16 channel NVR (again hopefully a Nellys model) and tell me what / howmany cameras needed for my front. I will work on my back soon but want a 16 CH as I am sure I will need at least 8 cams.
I can give measurements as well if needed

Please note I am a TOTAL novice so I would appreciate recommended cameras as well as what MP's (10180, 4k etc?!!),...what MM (2.8, 3.6 etc etc) Please try to talk in not tech talk as I have been researching and the more I do the more confused I get!!!! :embarrassed: :banghead:

Will a google earth pic help,...if so how do I take one?!!!:facepalm:
edit: here is a link of my house from google earth, not sure if it is recommended to do this but it's not like anybody can't find it?!!!
Google Earth
feel free to go to street level to help with you opinions!

Side note,...as mentioned I really wanted to use Nelly's mostly for their tech and more importantly networking and settings support,....but it seems they do not sell as many Hikvison products that HV offers,...and seems like some products aren't even on HV's site any longer (older models perhaps?). I know they change the model #'s but still can't match up most products based on looks and features. Any other option for purchasing WITH lifetime tech support?!!

some pics from last post:

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted in Chit Chat but got no responses so I figured this may be a better place to start!
(Mods please feel free to delete my original post)

Any advice on what cameras to buy and put where?
I am considering buying from Nellys so it will have to be Hikvision camera's and NVR,...hopefully something they sell.- if not I will buy Hikvision elsewhere if needed. (I am hoping if you recommend a camera they don't offer they will still give me the tech/networking support if I buy "most" of my cameras from them). I read great things about the Dahua Starlights and know Hikvision sells "somewhat" comparable models,...but most of my needs shouldn't be "too" Ultra / low light needed. I will explain later after I show pics and then show more when lit with my landscape lighting and possible (if needed) motion detector lights on the sides of my property.
Please be aware of the basement windows on the left side (when looking at pics ) of the house, as I would like them covered as well as the side itself. And the right side where my truck is I could put a motion detecting light to cover my truck/trailer/landscape equipment if Hik does not make a camera good for that area. Please recommend a good Hik 16 channel NVR (again hopefully a Nellys model) and tell me what / howmany cameras needed for my front. I will work on my back soon but want a 16 CH as I am sure I will need at least 8 cams.
I can give measurements as well if needed

Please note I am a TOTAL novice so I would appreciate recommended cameras as well as what MP's (10180, 4k etc?!!),...what MM (2.8, 3.6 etc etc) Please try to talk in not tech talk as I have been researching and the more I do the more confused I get!!!! :embarrassed: :banghead:

Will a google earth pic help,...if so how do I take one?!!!:facepalm:
edit: here is a link of my house from google earth, not sure if it is recommended to do this but it's not like anybody can't find it?!!!
Google Earth
feel free to go to street level to help with you opinions!

Side note,...as mentioned I really wanted to use Nelly's mostly for their tech and more importantly networking and settings support,....but it seems they do not sell as many Hikvison products that HV offers,...and seems like some products aren't even on HV's site any longer (older models perhaps?). I know they change the model #'s but still can't match up most products based on looks and features. Any other option for purchasing WITH lifetime tech support?!!

some pics from last post:
Hi Carm,

Please help us understand a bit more on what you are looking for.

Note, we've passed along some great references to the information people here have been sharing to help each other DIY.
Help with camera choice AND placement!!

Are you looking for a security camera system installer?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again Matt. An installer would be great but I am guestimatting it would cost over $5k for a full install. :eek: My budget is maybe $1500-$2000 MAX. (A little over that wont kill me for a better system but I'd like to be around there!) I am thinking a 16CH NVR and maybe 6-9 cameras "to start".
I have no problems running and fishing wires through my house with some help from a buddy or neighbor so the DIY install isn't my issue. I am more concerned with buying the right cameras and putting them in the right spots. But I was considering paying a little more at Nelly's in case I get lost with networking setups, camera setups, tech issues etc.
(I did just read on IPVM that Amazon offers installs,...they do stand behind their company name but then again they just may pick some local shmo that I could of found myself -- but the prices for a 16 cam install were only $800, but I supply the NVR, cameras, wire etc) SO that is another option

Hopefully some experts here can offer some advice on what cameras to buy and where to place them after they see my house/property.
Feel free to give any opinions as I am sure there is more than just 1 camera options and exact placements.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again Matt. An installer would be great but I am guestimatting it would cost over $5k for a full install. :eek: My budget is maybe $1500-$2000 MAX. (A little over that wont kill me for a better system but I'd like to be around there!) I am thinking a 16CH NVR and maybe 6-9 cameras "to start".
I have no problems running and fishing wires through my house with some help from a buddy or neighbor so the DIY install isn't my issue. I am more concerned with buying the right cameras and putting them in the right spots. But I was considering paying a little more at Nelly's in case I get lost with networking setups, camera setups, tech issues etc.

Hopefully some experts here can offer some advice on what cameras to buy and where to place them after they see my house/property.
Feel free to give any opinions as I am sure there is more than just 1 camera options and exact placements.
Hi CJ555,

Many here are happy to share what we've been learning to help each other, so that everyone who is interested can do a decent DIY security camera system design, install, configuration, setup, and maintenance.

If you're willing to take the time to learn, there's a lot of great people and knowledge being shared here.

imho it sounds like you're actually looking for some security camera consulting - as in someone to do the design work for you - and then you and your friends would do the physical install.

Perhaps hiring a local security camera professional would be the best option for you.

Perhaps Nelly's provides some good service to their customers to help them pick good systems?

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps Nelly's provides some good service to their customers to help them pick good systems?
Yeah but it seems they do not offer the full line of up to date Hikvision cameras (I may be nit picking but I really don't want to regret any decisions!)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but it seems they do not offer the full line of up to date Hikvision cameras (I may be nit picking but I really don't want to regret any decisions!)
Hi Carm,

If you are looking at international models of the Hikvision cameras then US vendors may never have those - or you may have to wait until a US version comes around.

There will always be newer models coming out, and if you can buy it - you can bet engineers are already working on the next version.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a shot a night with the landscape lighting. Sometimes the glare bomb High voltage lighting is not on (2 garage door lights and next to front door)!IMG_0297.jpg

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I honestly would just get all IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy. He will probably give you a bit of a discount. Best IPCam for the buck, not sure why anyone would want anything else for any reason. Well except if they want something nicer just to play around with. Like I want to get a PTZ that is about double the price but that's not really a need, just a want. If you need just pay someone to do the install. Just my 2 cents by the way.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been considering using Andy. And I have read that he does offer some technical support. But being a complete newbie I have a feeling after installed I will be asking every dumb newbie question possible to get the system perfect and not sure he offers that support like Nelly's.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been considering using Andy. And I have read that he does offer some technical support. But being a complete newbie I have a feeling after installed I will be asking every dumb newbie question possible to get the system perfect and not sure he offers that support like Nelly's.
Well I'm not sure about getting it "perfect" but I would be more than happy to help as much as I can with the basics. I'm not too great at picking the best spots yet, especially with such a large house, but I am a Sys Admin at work so I can at least help with the basic IT questions you may have. Switches, IP address, Port Forwarding, VPN (I use a different method than suggested here that runs on as a virtual machine rather than on a router but I can help you try to figure out how this is setup also), firmware updates, etc. I mean it's not going to be perfect but you can learn how to do the configuring and troubleshooting yourself for the future. The big concepts I have taken away from camera placement is that you don't want it too high (as close to human height as possible is preferred or else you risk getting the top of people's heads, especially if they are wearing a cap or looking down) and the more zoomed in you are the more likely you are to ID a person. If you want a wide angle view you likely will not be able to ID someone from more than about 6 feet away or so. With a varifocal lens you don't have to worry about it that much yet but there is a calculator located at the link below that you can play with to see the relationship between field of view and focal length and how this relates to how far away you can ID someone.

IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Sorry if some of this info has been already posted as I am at work so I've only been able to skim your threads so far.

I honestly think you would be able to get this done. I would recommend blue iris and a PoE switch or two instead of an NVR. It's much more configurable than an NVR but even if you go with the NVR route that's fine. I'm not as familiar because I've never owned an NVR but I'm sure with the help of the forum we would be able to get you rocking and rolling. I think there is always tweaks that one can do and for me at least I am never "done" configuring my cameras completely as there is always room for improvement. But then again I took a different route and I am adding cameras as I go. Especially since I plan to move to my own house soon instead of renting. I don't want to end up adding too many more cams here at my current rental house.

Anyway let us know what you decide and we will continue to assist.

Regards,

Philip

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks A LOT Phillip. I am sure I will be asking many more questions and it's nice to know that I can come to you specifically!

But I am still hoping somebody here will start chiming in on what cameras and especially placement of cameras like I have seen on other posts! I feel it will give me a starting point and help deciding which option(s) I like best.

Anyone,...??!! :wave:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks A LOT Phillip. I am sure I will be asking many more questions and it's nice to know that I can come to you specifically!

But I am still hoping somebody here will start chiming in on what cameras and especially placement of cameras like I have seen on other posts! I feel it will give me a starting point and help deciding which option(s) I like best.

Anyone,...??!! :wave:
Hi Carm,

So @Philip Gonzales , @looney2ns and I have all chimed in with various cameras for you. You said low light was not important, and that you prefer to use Nelly as a vendor, so I chimed in with the 4K Hikvision Turret Nelly sells.

All of us have provided links to the IPVM calculator to help you plan camera placement.
Help with camera choices AND placement

You mentioned you've seen other posts which people have provided suggestions for Camera placement, and yet you're "hoping somebody here will start chiming in on what cameras and especially placement of cameras.."

As we are a community which shares our knowledge and experience to help each other learn..

If we do all of your homework, how much will you learn?

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CJ555

Another option is to buy one or two cameras and use mount it to a long 2x4 or a 2x4 placed in a 5 gallon bucket of sand perhaps on top of something else etc. You can play around with where you think you want to mount them. Heck even run the Ethernet cable out the front door just as a test. You of course will need either a PoE switch, power injector, or power plug etc to get power to the camera. I would suggest just buying a PoE switch anyway as it is preferred over getting an NVR with built in PoE as there is more flexibility. I'm sure once you start posting some pics from the actual cams people will start chiming in. Meet us half way bud as @mat200 suggested. Or at least draw on your pictures where you think you want the cams to go. I'm sure someone will chime in.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You mentioned you've seen other posts which people have provided suggestions for Camera placement, and yet you're "hoping somebody here will start chiming in on what cameras and especially placement of cameras.."
Yes mat I did mention that,...and they were provided suggestions based on their pics. I posted pics to get suggestions for my property as I do not have the same layout,distances, etc!

I just figured people would want to offer their suggestions how THEY would do it on my property and what cameras they would use and where to put them (I'm sure there are 100+ "correct" ways) as I don't want to buy 5+ cameras and then realize I should of gotten a bullet instead of a turret (or vice versa) , or buy a 2.8 when I should of bought a 3.6,...2MP not 4k, etc etc.

The camera calculator helps but really since I have never viewed any of these cameras (let alone compared one to another), I really was just looking for suggestions.

And yes you did mention a few camera options -and I DO appreciate that!!- but I would assume I would need different cameras in different spots, that's why I posted pics and asked for suggestions!

Definitely not trying to be combative (and extremely sorry if coming off that way) but I feel like I'm getting bashed for posting pics and asking for suggestions on "What camera and Where to place it"

That's really all I asked and am asking and that's why I posted pics looking for some help. I'm not asking anyone to do my homework,...believe me I have been reading and researching this stuff like crazy but am finding it overwhelming and times I swear sometimes I get more confused ther more in depth I get! :facepalm:

But either way this original post was just in the hopes of getting multiple suggestion based on my pics!

Last edited:

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am and have been studying.
Again,....I started this post to show pics of my house and property and to get suggestions of "what cameras to use and where to place them"
That's all I am asking fellas!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been "officially" a member here for a short while and learned what little I know by reading, reading and then I did more reading. Got a few pointers and then read more. We're starting to build a new house here before long and I plan to READ a whole lot more yet. And oh, you'll get the BEST "lifetime" tech support right here and all the help you need. Happy hunting.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am and have been studying.
Again,....I started this post to show pics of my house and property and to get suggestions of "what cameras to use and where to place them"
That's all I am asking fellas!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
Hey Carm,

As others have already pointed out you should go with a Varifocal camera such as the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) this will take the guess work out of if you need a 2.8, 3.6, or 6mm lens. With the Varifocal you can fine tune the camera from 2.7mm up to 12mm. These cameras excel in low light to no light situations compared to others. Even with some exterior lighting these cameras are by far the best. Don't think just because you have some lighting a cheaper camera will get the job done. You will be disappointed and wishing you would have just bought a Starlight camera from the start. As Philip has already pointed out this as of now is the best camera for the price.

As far as placement goes looking at your place it is similar to mine. I have a parking pad on the same side of my house and on the other side is where I have a basement window and a side window just like you. So with that in mind I would personally put one camera mounted to the eave somewhere over your garage doors that would cover your driveway area. I would also place one or two cameras on your porch overhang. One for a good ID shot of anyone coming onto the porch and who would be at your front door. The second as an overview to cover the rest of the porch area. I would also place a camera on the side of the house where your parking pad is using siding mounts similar to these - Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 in. #001 White Surface Mounting Block-130110006001 - The Home Depot here is what it would potentially look like Siding mount for turrets I would do the same thing on the side with the basement windows. As far as the "exact" placement of each camera would need to be determined by you. This is where a test rig comes into play. You definitely want be sure the placement suits your needs before you start cutting siding or drilling holes and be sure you can actually run cables to those areas. After determining a good placement you may realize you want an additional camera to better cover a certain area. Outside of that there are numerous other threads that cover using Blue Iris, VPN, network, and best practices. Like Looney I spent hours and weeks reading through the threads to figure things out. If you are not up for all of that then I suggest you hire someone to help you.