Help with camera layout - where to test?

FrankHouse

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and surveillance systems. Trying to figure out where to place my cameras and could use some feedback. I want to make sure I can identify anyone that gets close to an entry point of the house. I guess close would be within 5 feet . I already have an alarm system with sensors on every door/window, glass break, motion, smoke etc.. throughout.

I bought a Lorex 16 channel, 8 camera NVR system. The 8 cameras are 2.8mm 4k cameras with spotlights. I understand about not chasing MP and needing different focal lengths to actually identify people. That's why I'm looking for info to augment this system.

I also bought 2 Dahua 5442T-ZE cameras from Andy. I've been testing them out with my NVR inside the house to make sure I can get them all talking together. I plan on using these cameras to test out locations, but could use some pointers as to where to start, so it won't take me months of random testing.

My house is in a new construction neighborhood with no satellite views available yet, so I've taken a few pictures. Here's what I'm planning..

1, 3, 5 - Lorex 2.8mm 4k cameras
2 - Lorex 2k Doorbell camera
4 - Lorex 1080p wifi floodlight camera
6, 7 - Dahua 5442T-ZE cam zoomed in pointing towards front of house (the zoom is so neighbors don't have a wide angle camera pointing in their bedrooms).
8, 10 - Lorex 2.8mm 4k cameras
9 - Lorex 1080p wifi floodlight camera.

I'm planning on building a fence eventually and the gates will come up to 10 feet from the front of the house on each side.

I thought motion sensor floodlights in front and at the back of the house would be good for lighting and figured I might as well make them cameras for extra coverage. But would I still need 2 cameras on either side of the garage as well?

The soffits above the garage are 12 feet high and the rest of the soffits around the house are 9 feet high. I assume I need to place the cameras lower. Like 8 feet? Most of the security camera companies have told me they recommend placing cameras on the soffits in my case or up to 10 feet up so people can't rip them down. Is 8 feet or lower the way to go?

I know I need to put additional cameras on the front door, but I'm not sure where to put them? I want to make sure I can ID someone approaching the front door or trying to take packages or anything.

The other thing is that I'm interested in setting up an LPR camera. I know this camera would be dedicated just to plates and the rest of the image is black at night. My question is where to put it?

There is also a community mailbox across the street from my house but not in the same direction that an LPR would face. My particular mailbox is not in this cluster. Would it be beneficial to keep an eye on that location since it's pretty close to me?

Any advice and suggestions on placement on aiming would be super helpful!

Thanks everyone
Frank

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and surveillance systems. Trying to figure out where to place my cameras and could use some feedback. I want to make sure I can identify anyone that gets close to an entry point of the house. I guess close would be within 5 feet . I already have an alarm system with sensors on every door/window, glass break, motion, smoke etc.. throughout.

I bought a Lorex 16 channel, 8 camera NVR system. The 8 cameras are 2.8mm 4k cameras with spotlights. I understand about not chasing MP and needing different focal lengths to actually identify people. That's why I'm looking for info to augment this system.

I also bought 2 Dahua 5442T-ZE cameras from Andy. I've been testing them out with my NVR inside the house to make sure I can get them all talking together. I plan on using these cameras to test out locations, but could use some pointers as to where to start, so it won't take me months of random testing.

My house is in a new construction neighborhood with no satellite views available yet, so I've taken a few pictures. Here's what I'm planning..

1, 3, 5 - Lorex 2.8mm 4k cameras
2 - Lorex 2k Doorbell camera
4 - Lorex 1080p wifi floodlight camera
6, 7 - Dahua 5442T-ZE cam zoomed in pointing towards front of house (the zoom is so neighbors don't have a wide angle camera pointing in their bedrooms).
8, 10 - Lorex 2.8mm 4k cameras
9 - Lorex 1080p wifi floodlight camera.

I'm planning on building a fence eventually and the gates will come up to 10 feet from the front of the house on each side.

I thought motion sensor floodlights in front and at the back of the house would be good for lighting and figured I might as well make them cameras for extra coverage. But would I still need 2 cameras on either side of the garage as well?

The soffits above the garage are 12 feet high and the rest of the soffits around the house are 9 feet high. I assume I need to place the cameras lower. Like 8 feet? Most of the security camera companies have told me they recommend placing cameras on the soffits in my case or up to 10 feet up so people can't rip them down. Is 8 feet or lower the way to go?

I know I need to put additional cameras on the front door, but I'm not sure where to put them? I want to make sure I can ID someone approaching the front door or trying to take packages or anything.

The other thing is that I'm interested in setting up an LPR camera. I know this camera would be dedicated just to plates and the rest of the image is black at night. My question is where to put it?

There is also a community mailbox across the street from my house but not in the same direction that an LPR would face. My particular mailbox is not in this cluster. Would it be beneficial to keep an eye on that location since it's pretty close to me?

Any advice and suggestions on placement on aiming would be super helpful!

Thanks everyone
Frank
Hi @FrankHouse

Looks like you are off to a good start .. you definitely want to confirm the positions of the cameras by the garage at night due to the lights ..

Most of us use a test rig ..

Some like buckets .. some like ladders ..

Here's a bucket version ..

Reaction score
It looks like you have a good starting plan.

Most of the security camera companies have told me they recommend placing cameras on the soffits in my case or up to 10 feet up so people can't rip them down
That is bull crap. Have only ever heard of one being torn down in the 4 years I have been on this forum. They want to place it there because it is easy to wire.

Set up a cam, like the 5442 ZE on a test rig like @mat200 said. Here is how I use a test rig. But you could use a bucket.
Test Rig.JPG

Realize that the higher up you place a cam, the less likely you will get a face shot for ID. While having overview cams is a good idea, the real reason we use cams is to catch FACES. So for a high placed cam to be able to get a face shot, the perp needs to be further away to cut down on the angle. But you will need the proper focal length to get a big enough picture of the face to ID it. See below.
Angle of attack.jpg

Even without knowing the model of those Lorex cams and the sensor size it is not to hard to assume that those 2.8mm 4K cams placed at the locations you have marked will not get a face shot good enough, especially at night, for an ID. Those 4K cams at night will probably show motion blur unless you have incredible artificial light. But use one on a test rig and see.

You have to decide exactly what you expect from a cam in a given position. Then place it on a test rig there and record what is seen. Sit at your computer and decide if that is what you want from that view. Think about what a perp would do to get in or vandalize your home. Where would they come from? Where would they possibly pause? Where would their head/face be facing? Will that cam/location combination give you what you want? Where is the sun? Will it cause you problems?

Proceed slowly and allow your plan to evolve as your experience and knowledge evolves.

Reaction score
I love LPR. But I did not start out running an LPR cam. I have done a few threads on LPR. Take a look.

Reaction score
This thread may help you think of how to plan and how different cams placed in different locations can be used together to get a view of a situation. Approach planning from the perps point of view.

FrankHouse

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @FrankHouse

Looks like you are off to a good start .. you definitely want to confirm the positions of the cameras by the garage at night due to the lights ..
Ok, yes, I think I see what you mean. To make sure that the light source itself is not shining directly into the cameras on either side of the garage, right? That makes sense. Perhaps the floodlight cam is one light that is good around 10 feet while the rest of the cameras are better at 8 feet or less..

Thanks for the notes on the testing rig. Interesting choice between buckets and ladders.. hehe. Slowly putting a test plan together.
This thread may help you think of how to plan and how different cams placed in different locations can be used together to get a view of a situation. Approach planning from the perps point of view.

Thank you so much for all the info in your replies! This thread has been a great eye-opener.

I'm having some difficulty coming up with a plan for the front door. I'm thinking add a camera just around the corner from the garage, pointing along the double windows and into the yard. Thinking if someone approaches the door from the yard instead of the driveway, I'd still get a shot at an ID?

Definitely open to suggestions.
Frank

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty coming up with a plan for the front door. I'm thinking add a camera just around the corner from the garage, pointing along the double windows and into the yard. Thinking if someone approaches the door from the yard instead of the driveway, I'd still get a shot at an ID?
Put it on a test rig and find out.