Help with Costco Night Owl (Hikvision) NVR access via Chrome or Firefox

Hooha

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like HIkvision's streaming video plugin does not work with the latest Chome and Firefox releases. I purchased the Night Owl 5MP bundle from CostCo which has the DVR-THD50B-81-HIK included. I have finally managed to get the Live View working on InternetExplorer, but still get the "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. . . ." message on Firefox and Chrome. Anyone managed to figure out how to get this working in one of those browsers?

Before anyone asks, I'm hoping to be able to access the feed via a RaspberryPi, which runs Linux, and installing their custom apps and IE are not options.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like HIkvision's streaming video plugin does not work with the latest Chome and Firefox releases. I purchased the Night Owl 5MP bundle from CostCo which has the DVR-THD50B-81-HIK included. I have finally managed to get the Live View working on InternetExplorer, but still get the "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. . . ." message on Firefox and Chrome. Anyone managed to figure out how to get this working in one of those browsers?

Before anyone asks, I'm hoping to be able to access the feed via a RaspberryPi, which runs Linux, and installing their custom apps and IE are not options.

Thanks
Welcome @Hooha

There's a bit of discussion on the board about viewing camera feeds with browsers and the issues associated with it

I would start with @tangent thread here:
How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you only need the plugins for some of the setup stuff, once configured, you can pull the rtsp:// feed using VLC or whatever...

make sure the cams have ONVIF enabled (may need to create an ONVIF user/password.)
if you need to, point ONVIF device manager at the cam's IP to determine the rtsp:// url...

and btw, newer Pi's can run Windows. yeah! or not. heehee...

Hooha

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 - thanks for the pointer, I think I checked that one out and didn't manage to get anything working from it.

@pozzello - thank you as well. I've looked at Pi's running windows, and my understanding is that it is a "just barely" thing with quite a few hiccups. Maybe the next iteration this will be more reliable, especially when they add a sata controller for a stable boot device.

I think the difference is I am using a wired analog camera system with a digital NVR. The individual cameras themselves are not IP based and don't have individual IP media feeds. I was able to find quite a bit about accessing such cameras, but, frankly, I didn't think running an ethernet cable outside my home was a very secure idea. Sure I could use it to watch the perimeter, but it could just as easily be spliced into by someone giving them complete access to my network.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ah, hadn't realized that system has analog cams. OK, so you're limited to whatever streams you can get from the NVR (acting as your 'encoder), but it should be able to provide a stream for each cam as well as an 'overview' (channel zero encoding?) of all the cams together... ONVIF device manager may help find those RTSP:// URL's, or you'll need to google around to find them for you specific NVR...

As for ethernet's outside, people concerned about that either run it in conduit so it's not as accessible and/or segregate the cams' wires from the rest of the network via VLAN's or separately routed subnet. Also, managed switches can also allow access to only specific MAC addresses (the cams) on any given port, so even if someone connects an external ethernet to their laptop, they can't do anything on your network. So there are various ways to address those concerns...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 - thanks for the pointer, I think I checked that one out and didn't manage to get anything working from it.

@pozzello - thank you as well. I've looked at Pi's running windows, and my understanding is that it is a "just barely" thing with quite a few hiccups. Maybe the next iteration this will be more reliable, especially when they add a sata controller for a stable boot device.

I think the difference is I am using a wired analog camera system with a digital NVR. The individual cameras themselves are not IP based and don't have individual IP media feeds. I was able to find quite a bit about accessing such cameras, but, frankly, I didn't think running an ethernet cable outside my home was a very secure idea. Sure I could use it to watch the perimeter, but it could just as easily be spliced into by someone giving them complete access to my network.
Very unlikely, and impossible if installed properly.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Hooha

I like to run my cables in wall / attic and in conduit. No real threat issues.

Also, you can lock your network down to only approved MAC addresses.

True - but more expensive and requires more wiring (or parts, e.g., POE injectors) than analog to do so properly.
iirc Analog cameras also needed "power injectors" to send power down the line...

More expensive ( IP system vs analog ) - yes a bit, but it really is also more capable, and not really more parts.

Hooha

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies, but this seems to have jumped the shark a bit. I am aware of the capabilities of firewalls, restricted MACs, and the security capabilities to lock down a network. I'm an engineer and an EE/CS major who works with technology still. I selected an analog system because of where I wanted to place some of the cameras (e.g., outside of my house watching gates to my property, etc. that either required me installing hardened conduit for POE IP cams, or going with analog). That said, my system is an analog camera system now and I am not looking to change this. The DVR is the only point of digital access available. I have set up my network so I am fully capable of accessing the DVR, but the H.264 or H.265 video streams appear to need a plugin to view. I am asking if anyone has been able to get this sort of thing working for a Hikvision/Night Owl DVR recently, without the need for proprietary apps or programs (plugins for chrome/firefox are fine) or knows of a DVR that is capable of providing such an interface that will work with Hikvision 5MP cameras.

Wilbur

n3wb
Reaction score
I have written a bash script for my Ubuntu computers that runs vlc to look directly at my IP Camera (DS-2CD2342WD-I) OR one off 6 analogue cameras connected to a Hikvison DVR (DS-7208HQHI). I can also access my IP Camera via the DVR and the DVRs channel 0. Both streams are accessible. It is just a matter of working out the rtsp address for each stream which might vary depending on your exact hardware/firmware (I only have experience with my kit). I can also access the stream via my home router by port forwarding.

NoBr8ks

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a few RPi3 (Some with 7" touchscreens) (LibreELEC/Kodi 17.1 (8.2.5)

rtsp://user: password@NVR/DVR IP:554/PSIA/streaming/channels/ Sub Stream of Camera Number/. Example, cam 3. Main Stream, 301. Sub Stream, 302.

There's another way of typing it out, just can't recall now. Should work with Hikvison too.

Oh, analog.... sad:face?

If you're that worried about outside collusion.... firewall/DMZ maybe?

Last edited:

htcheng

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I pulled my hair out for months, but after much trial and error, I figured it out for my THD50 from Costco...
For still images, use:
http://[IP ADDRESS OF DEVICE]/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture?videoResolutionWidth=1920&videoResolutionHeight=1080
where "101" after "channels" is the camera # (101 = camera 1, 201 = camera 2) etc.
For rtsp streams, use:
rtsp:/[username:pw]@[IP ADDRESS OF DEVICE]/Streaming/channels/102
where 102 = camera 1, etc.
The DVR is just a rebadged version of a HIKVision DVR with crippled firmware.
IMPORTANT!
The firmware version of the DVR DOES matter - you need the following version:
DVR8-THD50_ 20171218
To enable RTSP via the above URL you need to enable under the DVR Settings:
CONFIGURATION/System/Security/Authentication and set both RTSP and WEB Authentication to "digest/basic"
Make sure you've created User under "User Management" that has the right permissions to access the camera feed - "Operator" level should do the trick.
Hope this helps and saves someone from much aggrevation! I even called NightOwl and emailed them and they said it wasn't possible...
Was glad to finally get it working - I use the feeds in Homeassistant and Homekit and I ditched the creepy, crappy NightOwl app and am happy...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
firmware DVR8-THD50_ 20180427....so probably a no go.....I'll end up choking innocent kittens if i spend more than 15 minutes with this pile of shit.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok here goes nuthin, I downgraded/upgraded/whatever the firmware to 20171218 even though the fucking web site says its 20171217. it rebooted and came up with the number you shared.

Last edited: