Help with Hikvision setup in my barn

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am undergoing the rigorous task of setting up a Hikvision IP security camera system in the barn of my equestrian facility.

I have 4 of each of the following cameras:

• IR Mini Bullet DS-2CD2042WD-I
4MP, 4mm
*will be adding microphone*

• IR Fixed Dome DS-2CD2142FWD-IS
4MP, 2.8mm

So 8 cameras total.
The longest cable will be 90’.
About 50% of the cable will need to be outdoor.

My questions are:

1) What is the frequency I can run the cameras at for optimal performance and quality? So basically I’m asking if I should go with cat6 or cat 6a cable.

2) While we’re at it, do you have a recommendation for where to order the custom cable lengths? I’ve seen a few options online, but none of them stood out in quality or price.

Thank you! Any input or advice you have would be greatly appreciated so I can get my booty back out in the barn.

- Sarah

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.

What do you mean when you ask about the frequency the cameras are running at? If you're using cameras wired with Ethernet, they won't use wifi at all.

To get a custom cable length, you make the cable yourself. You just buy a spool of cable and a crimper, there are lots of instructional videos and with a little practice it isn't too hard.

Reaction score
Tangent:

My inquiry regarding frequency is essentially “the amount of MHz” to have running through my cables. I thought that was a pretty common expression of measurement.

I’m too overextended already with this project and so I do not have the time to learn another *completely* foreign skill of making my own cables on top of installing microphones, placing and mounting the 8 cameras, the measuring and routing of cables, and further weatherproofing the equipment, on top of all the research that’s gone into purchasing these products already.

What do you mean by “cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page?”

Thank you for not being kind or helpful and condescending to a complete noob. I’m just trying to protect my horses and clients.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tangent:

My inquiry regarding frequency is essentially “the amount of MHz” to have running through my cables. I thought that was a pretty common expression of measurement.

I’m too overextended already with this project and so I do not have the time to learn another *completely* foreign skill of making my own cables on top of installing microphones, placing and mounting the 8 cameras, the measuring and routing of cables, and further weatherproofing the equipment, on top of all the research that’s gone into purchasing these products already.

What do you mean by “cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page?”

Thank you for not being kind or helpful and condescending to a complete noob. I’m just trying to protect my horses and clients.
Here's a direct link: IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-04.docx

Don't worry too much about the bandwidth rating (mhz) of the cable, it's largely irrelevant to you. Instead pay attention to: cable type Cat-5e or Cat-6, solid copper, indoor/outdoor, utp/stp. Installing unterminated cable is best because you can cut it to the length you need without ending up too short or with excess, drill smaller holes, and the rj-45 plugs won't get damaged during installation. Outdoors it's best to use outdoor rated cable, I'm not sure I've ever seen premade outdoor cables for sale. Outdoor cable is a little harder to work with, but it's still quite do able. There are lots of cameras with built in microphones.

Paying somebody to install the cameras and run the cable is an option you should consider.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you plan on recording the cameras?

Reaction score
Tangent:

Thank you, I appreciate this. I’ll take a look at the cliff notes now.

Here's a direct link: IPCamTalk Cliff Notes 2018-04.docx

Don't worry too much about the bandwidth rating (mhz) of the cable, it's largely irrelevant to you. Instead pay attention to: cable type Cat-5e or Cat-6, solid copper, indoor/outdoor, utp/stp. Installing unterminated cable is best because you can cut it to the length you need without ending up too short or with excess, drill smaller holes, and the rj-45 plugs won't get damaged during installation. Outdoors it's best to use outdoor rated cable, I'm not sure I've ever seen premade outdoor cables for sale. Outdoor cable is a little harder to work with, but it's still quite do able. There are lots of cameras with built in microphones.

Paying somebody to install the cameras and run the cable is an option you should consider.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So basically I’m asking if I should go with cat6 or cat 6a cable
You don't need Cat 6a. Even Cat-5e is sufficient, but I'd probably choose cat-6.

Ethernet links run at a variety of speeds, 10mbps, 100mbps, 1000mbps/1gbps, 10gbps as well as duplex modes. You cameras will link at 100mbps but will use a fraction of that. These speeds aren't the same as the bandwidth stamped on the cable, but are related.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 16 cameras in my stables and paddocks.

As others have said, you can use Cat-5e, but I would recommend Cat6 so you never have to pull cable again.

What custom lengths are you looking for in the cable? I've found reasonable "custom" cables (say, 100', 150', 200') on amazon. Of course, the problem with pre-manufactured cable lengths is you could end up with a lot of extra cable at one end, or, you might end up being a few feet short if you undermeasure. Learning to make your own cables with a crimper alleviates these issues, and you can buy cable in bulk 1000' spools. However, if it isn't your intent to do so, I think you'll be better off buying "pre-cut" lengths of, say, 100' (for the 90' run you have) and then looping the excess cable somewhere.

With a switched network bandwidth is pretty much a non-issue, your cameras have 100mb ports not gig-E ports, and you're going directly into an NVR anyway.

If the project is a bit overwhelming I'm sure one of the other posters can recommend an installer in your area who could assist you.

Reaction score
Thanks, I’m actually learning how to terminate the cables. It’ll be a fun skill set to learn. Thank you for the link.