Help with IP Camera purchase

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Do we know how reliable Longse cameras are say compared to Hikvision which fenderman recommended?...
Hikvision cameras have been very reliable for me...I've had them running for several years without any failures...but I only have several months of experience with Longse cameras, so I can't give you any long-term experices with Longse.

...He mentioned looking at hikvision 2mp/1080p turret cameras but the LBW90S500 would be better correct?
@fenderman knows a lot more than me brother...but sometimes he drinks too much...I'd go with the LBW90S500

...Will this work with Windows 10? Software setup should be easy and works with BI?...
Yes...and yes.

...Where, how can this be purchased? How are defective products handled under warranty?...
The LBW90S500 can be purchased from either AliExpress vendors or from Longse directly.

...Since this can be powered via PoE would I need something like this to go between my router and camera?
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Injector-Adapter-TL-PoE150S/dp/B001PS9E5I
Yes, that injector should work, but it may be better to purchase a 5-port TrendNet switch (with 4 ports providing POE) so you can hook 4 total POE cameras to it in the future in the event you want to add cameras...and you will want to add more cameras...if you are normal.

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-Ethernet-802-3af-TPE-S50/dp/B0152WZRBM

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Q2U just placed an order for the LBW90S500 (PoE & bracket 1) directly from Longse... I'm sure I'll be blown away with it!

I'll also go ahead and order the 5-port TrendNet switch you suggested.

I may be a novice when it comes to IP Cameras but I'm here to learn and willing to take advice.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Q2U just placed an order for the LBW90S500 (PoE & bracket 1) directly from Longse... I'm sure I'll be blown away with it!

I'll also go ahead and order the 5-port TrendNet switch you suggested.

I may be a novice when it comes to IP Cameras but I'm here to learn and willing to take advice.
The more you want it...and the more excited you are about it...the more disappointing is when it finally arrives.

It's a good IP camera IMO...but please remember...it is a $100.00 camera and there isn't a $100.00 camera on Earth without a problem...or 2...or 3.

I hope it serves you well Mike. :)

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks but I'd be really surprised if I'm not satisfied with it. You have to remember my reference for a good camera is my GBF 720p doorbell camera. I'm also used to viewing the stream from my 85-year-old mother's Netgear Arlo security camera also 720p. Both seem acceptable to me so I'm looking forward to a higher resolution and possibly better overall camera.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys I've done quite a bit of reading on this helpful forum but still have questions. It's been a week since I placed an order for the LBW90S500 with Amanda (PayPal account has been charged). Shouldn't I be hearing something back from her or have I gave it enough time?

Cat5E or Cat6 cable very widely discussed here but still no consensus although some say to use Cat6 for PoE switches. I'm thinking my cable run will be somewhere between 60' and 75' depending on where I end up mounting it after experimenting.

Should I use cat5e or cat6 for that short of run?
I thought I might buy a 75' patch cable but if I only ended up needing a 60' run would it acceptable to coil up the access?

I've read you should make sure to get solid not stranded cable and copper not copper clad aluminum. One person posted on this forum about not being able to find small runs of decent outdoor cable and was linked to the below. Is that an acceptable cable? Here about about the second link is it acceptable?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161580341719?euid=bd72f10afb9c4547a4a9f284cb6fb7ee&bu=43057110937&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190319605325?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The second link says nothing about being copper..

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well disregard the second link then I found that on my own... the first link was suggested by a forum member. Is it ok?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well disregard the second link then I found that on my own... the first link was suggested by a forum member. Is it ok?
Normally would trust a random ebay seller, but the part number on the cable, at lease the one pictured checks out.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman I may go ahead and order it then. You didn't say whether to use cat5e or cat6 so hoping the latter won't be too stiff to work with. Also apparently no issues if I have to coil up any extra if it ends up being too long.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman I may go ahead and order it then. You didn't say whether to use cat5e or cat6 so hoping the latter won't be too stiff to work with. Also apparently no issues if I have to coil up any extra if it ends up being too long.
Are you buying patch cables or terminating your own cables from a spool?

If you're not used to working with cable, Cat6 won't make a difference. It'll take a little getting used to but its def doable. I ordered Cat6 for my installs but started practicing terminating the cables with Cat5e so it was def a noticeable difference but not impossible. But if you are just going to bundle them in between instead of cutting to length and terminating, it won't make a difference what one you go with as long as they are solid copper. Only thing is the Cat5e might be cheaper.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you buying patch cables or terminating your own cables from a spool?

If you're not used to working with cable, Cat6 won't make a difference. It'll take a little getting used to but its def doable. I ordered Cat6 for my installs but started practicing terminating the cables with Cat5e so it was def a noticeable difference but not impossible. But if you are just going to bundle them in between instead of cutting to length and terminating, it won't make a difference what one you go with as long as they are solid copper. Only thing is the Cat5e might be cheaper.
Just patch cables since I've had no experience with terminating (nor any experience with Cat5e or Cat6). I've ran a lot of RG6 coax over the years but never outdoor Ethernet. I've read Cat5e is supposed to be easier to work with but since I've never held either cable (Cat5e or Cat6) in my hands I have no comparison. There's only about $8 difference between Cat5e and Cat6 in a 75' patch cable.

Guess I'll try Cat6 and see how I get along running it along my eaves. PSPCommOp thanks for replying and answering my questions!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just patch cables since I've had no experience with terminating (nor any experience with Cat5e or Cat6). I've ran a lot of RG6 coax over the years but never outdoor Ethernet. I've read Cat5e is supposed to be easier to work with but since I've never held either cable (Cat5e or Cat6) in my hands I have no comparison. There's only about $8 difference between Cat5e and Cat6 in a 75' patch cable.

Guess I'll try Cat6 and see how I get along running it along my eaves. PSPCommOp thanks for replying and answering my questions!
If you're used to coax, it'll be fine. Its much less stiffer than coax. There are two differences between 5e and 6. One is the big plastic spine that runs thru the center of the cable. 5e doesn't have it, 6 does. It separates all the twisted pairs of cables and provides stiffness and support. Second is the gauge of the wires themselves. 6 is thicker and can be a bit harder to straighten if you go to terminate but here you don't need to worry about it since you aren't terminating them yourself. Either way there isn't a noticeable difference between the bandwidth they provide when using them for IP cameras.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're used to coax, it'll be fine. Its much less stiffer than coax. There are two differences between 5e and 6. One is the big plastic spine that runs thru the center of the cable. 5e doesn't have it, 6 does. It separates all the twisted pairs of cables and provides stiffness and support. Second is the gauge of the wires themselves. 6 is thicker and can be a bit harder to straighten if you go to terminate but here you don't need to worry about it since you aren't terminating them yourself. Either way there isn't a noticeable difference between the bandwidth they provide when using them for IP cameras.
Thanks for explaining PSPCommOp very informative!

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok took quite awhile to get my camera as there was some mix up with Amanda's order but I finally got it and that's all that matters. Unfortunately now I'm going to be too busy for the next 3-4 weeks to install it.

I would like to see if I can get it hooked up to my network though and I'm not having much luck. I'm not sure what's supposed to be on the disk that came with the camera but neither one of my Dvd drives will read it... strange. I emailed Amanda but it's been a couple of days and haven't heard back. As I've mentioned this is all new to me and even though I have a doorbell camera I didn't have to do anything (or don't remember I did) to get it running on my network. I was able to get it running in BI by trial & error.

Reading threads here someone said to download the CMS Windows Client Software (6.1.2.5) for a search tool http://www.herospeed.net/en/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=9 The search tool found both my Doorbell & Longse camera. This is where I get lost I know I'm supposed to change the cameras default IP address but I'm not sure how to go about this.

I brought up the Longse camera and it comes with a 192.168.1.168 IP address so I changed the 1 to a 0 and then a number of my choosing. I wasn't sure what the Stream & Http port settings should be but set them to the same as my Doorbell camera.

Anyway apparently I'm not connected to my router (via POE switch) because I can't enter 192.168.0.xxx into a browser and connect to the camera. I know this is simple, basic stuff for most/all of you but I sure could use a little guidance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your network subnet? What exact ip address did you set for the cam.