Help with moving BI & Cameras to a new PC

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Just tried deleting the mobile app starting from scratch like you suggested and using the Ip but I’m still seeing the Eval screens. Surely this has to be something simple we’re not seeing right?
Any chance you tried unplugging the network cable from the old BI server, while troubleshooting the app issue?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No I hadn't until you suggested it. So I tried unplugging old computer from the internet and even rebooted the router.

I deleted app and started over again and put in the LAN & WAN of BI on new computer. Results are my mobile app cannot detect a server now.

Do I need to run the Access Wizard again?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Prior to the BI server upgrade. From where did you access your BI system via your mobile device. Was it only when you were home connected to your LAN. Or were you out-n-about (away from home) connected via your cell provider (aka via the WAN)?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using a single network card for your BI system, or two?

When you assigned a static IP to the new BI server, are you certain you did not use an IP already in use by another network device?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have another computer besides the two BI machines available to troubleshooting?

If so, open a web browser on the computer and attempt to access the new BI server.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To simplify things you could just find out what the IP address of your old machine is and then change the IP address of your new machine to match your old machine. You’ll have to change the IP address on your old machine to something else or set it ot use DHCP and let your router do it for you.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so networking is something a little over my head.

The network card was whatever came on my new computer.

As I mentioned earlier I have no control over my router it is a managed system by the ISP. I had to call their tech to setup a Port Forward & then had him make my camera IP's Static.

Vettester's suggestion sounds like a simpler solution. So I'm assuming I should change the IP address of the old computer first and then the new one. I guess a dumb question but how do I go about changing the IP's of the computers?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggested you change the IP address of the new computer to that of the old computer in post #16 and you said you tried that?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wittaj I misunderstood what you said what I changed was the old computers IP to the new one on the mobile app.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I googled on how to do this but I don't know how to fill in the correct info?
You need to keep googling.

Try this site:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
A majority of residential network environments consist of the home's router automatically assigning dynamic IP addresses as the various devices are powered on and request them. Your phone might be assigned an IP of 192.168.1.22, but the following week there is a chance it obtains a different IP (192.168.1.31)... hence the 'dynamic' addressing

Option 1
A device can be manually assigned a static IP address (incls subnet and default gateway) by setting specific information on the device itself. However, this information cannot be randomly chosen, it needs to correlate with information about the existing network. This is why most home networks use the dynamic IP method noted above.

Option 2
Another method for static IP is to program the router reserve specific IP addresses for specific devices. This ensures a single device will always be given the same IP over time. This is achieved by reading a unique number from the respective device (called a MAC address) and pre-associating the MAC address to a specific IP within the router's configuration. You might recall the ISP did this for your cameras at one point. I highly suspect they did this with your old BI server, as well.

Because you've upgraded BI to a new machine you are at the point of trying to determine your old BI servers IP and (hopefully) how it was set... via the router, or via the configuring on the old BI server itself.

How to use ipconfig command

On the old BI server....

Press Windows key + X then select 'Run'

Type the following in the 'run' box that appears and press 'ok' : cmd

This opens a Command Prompt

Type ipconfig and press enter

This will show you the basic network information from your network adapter(s)

Make note of the values for the following: IP(v4) address, Subnet mask, and default Gateway

You will need to enter this information on your new BI machine via the screenshot you referenced in your last post.

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the old computer it has a setting for Subnet Prefix Length, is that the same setting as Subnet Mask on the new computer edit screen?

Should the Preferred DNS be the same as the new IP address?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I tried to change the IP address I got an error, either what I entered for the Subnet Prefix length or preferred DNS.

I'm going to have to pick this back up in the morning I'm dealing with my little dog who's on meds for back pain. He's needing my attention. Thanks!