Help with my future setup?

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys, so ive had a cheap zmodo dvr setup for years and its worked flawless and i love how it works on the Tinycam app as ive got 2 tvs in my house streaming these cams all the time and also on my tablet at my desk all the time as well.
Now i wanted to still do all of this but with a new HD camera setup.
I was looking at 6 cameras. It seems like the substreams have improved to 720p on some h265 cameras which i would like for my setups on my tvs with tinycam.
EX: Full HD Motion Detection alarm metal ONVIF H.265 Security IP Camera 2MP 3MP 4MP Outdoor P2P Waterproof Vandalproof CCTV Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
seems like its only the 4mp camera that supports a higher res sub stream.
Now my problem is finding an nvr that supports tinycam as well as be able to display 6x 4mp cams at h265.
Tinycam supports onvif cams which i assume i can setup 1 by 1, but id preffer an nvr so i can just access the ip of the nvr and just change channel by channel.
Any help is appreciated!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Killerjay,
Welcome to the forum!
You asked for help.
- Use Onvif as last resort. Instead, stick to one vendor for cameras and NVR. The system will work more smoothly, and you'll be able configure all the features using the vendor provided interfaces.
- Don't mix-n-match between vendors, for the same reason.
- that cam at $37 to $48 dollars is priced so low I suspect it's junk.
- why the desire to use 4mp cams? More pixels at night means poorer image. Since each pixel is smaller, it collect less light.
- check the reviews here for "Starlight Varifocal" on the "Recent Posts" page. The 2MP camera blows the 4MP cameras away.
- I'm not familiar with tiny cam. I use gDMSS Plus on my android. The app is by the same vendor who makes my cams and NVR. The system works cohesively. I receive a push notification dependably within seconds of an "event", with a short video clip.
- Lots of experienced folks here recommend Dahua or Hikvision.
- re: ali-express. Lotsa stories of vendors that didn't perform. A good one: Andy at Empire, a forum member, sells eqpmt, great prices, great service, fast shipping. I suggest you check the thread Ordering from Overseas (Requesting Feedback and Ordering Experience, Thanks!)

Fastb

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, thanks so much for the response!
Im only interested in the 4mp camera because it was the only kind of camera that offered the substream at 1280x720.
The reason i use tinycam is for its widgets option on android.
Ive attached what tinycam looks like on my home hub (tablet full of iot devices in my kitchen)
The cams refresh every second on the widget and thats exactly what i want.
Also i wanted the higher substream because i wanted to stream 6 cams on 2 different tvs via the tinycam app in fullscreen aswell.

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Killerjay,

So from your response, it appears you didn't look into my recommendations.
Im only interested in the 4mp camera because it was the only kind of camera that offered the substream at 1280x720.
Absolutely not true.
Substream has nothing to do with MP resolution.

If you checked the Starlight cam I suggested, you would have found this for the 3 streams from the 2MP Starlight cam I mentioned:
View attachment 15775
stream.jpg

The reason i use tinycam is for its widgets option on android.
Well, did you look at gDMSS that I suggested? Lots of viewing options.....
The instant push notification, and the integration with the NVR & Camera, I personally find awesome. I'm not interested in changing, or bucking the advice from many more experienced people (than me) in what's the best app. (assuming you go with Dahua)

For viewing other places, Dahua provides (for free) Smart PSS. I use this on a small clamshell PC on a kitchen counter. Efficient use of screen. Ignore the dark cam on bottom right, and the cam aimed at the ceiling, at bottom center. I'm tweaking things.
The blue lines show the IVS virtual "trip wires". That IVS is far superior to Motion Detect.

The cams refresh every second on the widget and thats exactly what i want.
Wow, I would NOT wanna go backwards to 1 second refresh. When someone pulls into my driveway, I get real-time view on my android and the clamshell pictured above. Secondly, I have audio in real time. Lastly, when they cross triplines, I get immediate notification to my phone, which causes me to glance over at the clamshell to see who's in my driveway.

i wanted the higher substream because i wanted to stream 6 cams on 2 different tvs via the tinycam app in fullscreen aswell
Not sure what you mean. tinycam may have limitations?
In the pic I provided, the larger view of my driveway (top left portion) is using "Main". All other views are "Substream". Smart PSS lets you choose, very flexible. I chose substream for the smaller views because 1) my clamshell is connected via WiFi, 2) I wanted to preserve some b/w on the cam-only WiFi subnet, 3) I wanted real-time full motion video, 4) the smaller views look fine using substream.

stream 6 cams on 2 different tvs via the tinycam app in fullscreen aswell.
I can view cameras in real time on many devices - not sure of the limitation you describe. (since I'm not a tinycam user)
All viewing goes back to the NVR. The only limitations are a) LAN b/w (wired or WiFi) or b) cellular b/w.

Killerjay,
There is a ton of valuable information here.
People here will spend their time to share their knowledge.
Newbies should investigate the guidance offered.
That sounds harsh, but I suspect I spent more time with my two posts to help you, than you used to investigate what I offered.

Best Wishes,
Fastb

Attachments

Last edited:

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
-sorry, i saw that cam but i dont want a turret, im looking for bullet cams. I didnt know how the 3rd stream worked, always figured it was for people who used nvr's without built in poe lines. It is also very expensive, i live in canada so thats over 230$ each for me.
-I looked at that app but from the looks of it, it only supports streaming 4 cameras live, whereas with tinycam i can stream upto 25 cameras on one screen, not to mention chromecast support is nice.
-the 1fps is ONLY because these cams are android widgets. if i go into the full app, i get very good fps. The only other app ive seen to offer android widgets is "IP CAM VIEWER" but the fps as a widget is worse and it stops working daily.
- The pic you showed me is an actual PC/ laptop, i want to be able to view my cams on my TV's using these little android powered devices that have no fan and dont use so much power like a pc.
MK809 IV Android 5.1 TV Dongle RK3229 Quad Core 2GB 8GB 4K HDMI KODI XBMC 3D H.265 WiFi AirPlay Miracast DLNA Smart Media Player-in TV Stick from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I also wanted h265 because i assume it wont be as heavy on the network when streaming, but im not sure if that qualifies for livestreaming or if its just about recording on the hdd.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
-sorry, i saw that cam but i dont want a turret, im looking for bullet cams./QUOTE]
Bullets are an inferior design to turrets...read, learn..zmodo is also bottom barrel garbage as your images depict. Spend some time and learn about quality options out there before flushing yours down the toilet.

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
lol yes i am aware that my cameras quality are bad, its an old bnc system thats 5+ years old with some cables that show interference nowadays, i honestly didnt mind the system. It lasted a while and never let me down, its just time for HD. But yes i will have to keep studying.