Help with network switch selection for my BI build

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could someone help me in identifying what type of network switch I'll need for my planned setup.

• I plan to run BI on a Win 10 Pro machine
  • Up to 12-15 4MP+ cameras eventually over time
  • All camera power to be POE powered from the switch
  • 1 or 2 PTZ Zoom cameras
  • Cameras would record to disc 24/7 and for motion alerts.
  • Other home electronic on same switch

Right now I have a garble of wires under my desk and a DSL modem, router, linked to another 4 port router using all 8 ports...I want to clean that up, run everything else in the house on the same network switch from the basement, (where the BI computer would be located) for wired shared internet access across devices, my Ooma IP phone, a couple of computers, couple of TV top android box connections, plus the Satellite TV needs an internet connection too.

So I think I need at a minimum a 24 port switch of some kind.

It seems though typical switches only have 1/2 the number of ports for POE....so if I want to go past 12 POE cameras then it looks like I'd need to buy a 48 port switch as the 24's only have 12 POE.

Some Questions I have running around my head are:

Do I need a "Gigabit switch" or Gigabit ports?...
When I hear speak of "Gigabit switch", is this referring to each port managing maximum gigabit 10\100\1000 speeds or just the uplink to the computer?

I believe any cameras I select to buy could only manage 10\100, but I assume the bottleneck when all cameras are recording would then be to the BI computer for processing\writing to disc. What do I need do avoid a bottleneck or not have to reduce the video quality because of bandwidth concerns?

Do I need a switch that provides POE+ power?
I believe I've read POE is 15W power max per port but most PTZs use more than that, especially with IR, so I assume a standard POE port could not run that type of camera properly, correct?

If I don't get a switch with POE+ ports, how would I run the PRZs?

A lot of the switches say, "managed" or "Smart".
I have read something about it meaning you have control over port priority but do not really understand.
What is a "managed\smart" switch vs a non-managed and do I need that in my scenario?

It looks like there are lots of deals on ebay for used equipment, which may be the only way I can afford one. It mostly seems like business class stuff going cheap and hoping it works right.

Here are just a couple of them for example purpose here.
Would something like one of these be appropriate for my needs and relatively easy to set up?

Linskys/Cisco SRW224P Webview PoE Managed 24-Port 10/100 2-Port Gigabit Switch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linskys-Cisco-SRW224P-Webview-PoE-Managed-24-Port-10-100-2-Port-Gigabit-Switch-/191933330444?hash=item2cb01e340c:g:8u4AAOSwRoxXmkx3

or this

CISCO WS-C3560-48PS-S CATALYST 3560 1U SWITCH 48 10/100 PoE & 4-PORT GIGABIT SFP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-WS-C3560-48PS-S-CATALYST-3560-1U-SWITCH-48-10-100-PoE-4-PORT-GIGABIT-SFP-/221913003875?hash=item33ab0bb763:g:p1gAAOSwUV9WoPqz

Last...I have never used a network switch...
Should I choose one based on ease of use, setup and management...something that has a user dfriendly web interface for example, or are they all about the same as far as getting them set up?

I have been Googling and scanning the forums for as much info as I can find on this topic, but the more I learn, the more I realize I have a lot more to learn.

Sorry so long winded...
Any thoughts, suggestions or direction, further reading anyone could provide here are very much appreciated.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a used Cisco 24 port PoE managed switch on eBay for a great price. All ports are PoE, but only 4 are gigabit. I'm only using 5 cameras so I didn't have a problem with 10/100 on most ports. I do have the BI PC and the Router both using the Gigabit ports tho and if I ever decide on a NAS system that'll be connected via Gigabit as well.

Browse around for whats available on eBay, the value on these switches is really really good there as long as you do a little homework on the models that you are looking at. Mine works great but it is LOUD so I'm happy I have it in a room away from everyone.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks...I think that is similar to the one example I posted.
Could you or someone elaborate on the "managed" part or a couple of my other questions like about the POE+ and if it is needed for PTZ cams?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can find 24 port switches with all 24 ports providing PoE. They just cost more. Gigabit is not necessary for the camera connections, but you should use gigabit ports for all computers which may need to transfer files between each other, most especially the Blue Iris machine since it may exceed 100 Mbps continuously just with the camera streams. Many 10/100 switches have a 2-4 gigabit ports on them in addition to the 24 non-gigabit, which you can use for those computers or to uplink to a gigibit switch.

Managed switches have web interfaces where you can change configurations (for VLANs and such) and look at port statistics like how much PoE power is being fed out, or how many good/bad packets were sent and received. It can be helpful to have a managed switch in case you need to reboot a camera remotely, you can either toggle the power for that camera's port if you know it or just tell the entire switch to reboot. I've had to do that a few times.

Ebay is a good place to find a switch like that for around $100. Otherwise you are likely to spend closer to $400 on it if you want to buy it new. Beware like PSPCommOp said, these larger PoE switches have loud fans in them, so you won't want it anywhere the noise would be annoying. I keep mine in my garage so it doesn't bother anyone.

Finally, you asked about PoE+ for PTZ cameras. Well not all PTZ cameras support PoE in the first place, because their peak power draw is too high (particularly if they have IR LEDs and fast motors). Those which do support PoE tend to require PoE+. I don't know if it will be cost effective to get a large switch with PoE+. You may be better off with a simple injector for this, or a small PoE+ switch. When a PTZ camera is too big to support PoE(+) then in my experience it wants 24 volt AC power, and if you are lucky, comes with its own power adapter.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, with a regular POE switch, to power a PTZ, would I need to add a POE injector at the switch then a POE splitter at the PTZ camera?

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I am not an network expert (where is Nahr when you need him)

It is my understanding and I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong - but if you had your server and the cameras on their own switch it would not have any impact on the rest of your network. So it may be to your advantage to use a couple of switches instead of just the one

Here is an example of an 8 port switch where all 8 ports are POE+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6LID0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.