Help with Sound on Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I(S) camera

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can test it from any Windows pc... You don't need to touch the security pc...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to bash on Blue Iris, but ...
I tried it but didn't like it (so I have an unused license sitting around here somewhere). I hear that lots of people like it so I must be an odd man out.
I found a free license for the community version of GeniusVision's NVR. I like it quite a bit. It does have iOS and Android client apps but no Windows Modern app (sad for me). It works well with my HikVision cameras (as long as I use the ONVIF driver).
I personally am a long time Blue Iris user and fan. I'm very happy with the new 64bit version and it providing my ability to start using all of my cameras on the same PC. My CPU is running at around 37%, memory 3.75Gb (of 8gb) and running 10 cameras. My maximum camera use is 15 when I go on vacation and set up my inside cameras (only used when I lock up the house and we are out of town).

I've tried many other camera software packages and found complexity/increased cost associated with each one.

Bottom line: I am still a Blue Iris fan.

mrslother

n3wb
Reaction score
I personally am a long time Blue Iris user and fan. I'm very happy with the new 64bit version and it providing my ability to start using all of my cameras on the same PC. My CPU is running at around 37%, memory 3.75Gb (of 8gb) and running 10 cameras. My maximum camera use is 15 when I go on vacation and set up my inside cameras (only used when I lock up the house and we are out of town).

I've tried many other camera software packages and found complexity/increased cost associated with each one.

Bottom line: I am still a Blue Iris fan.
I have heard lots of good things about BI. Not to fork this thread but I found it difficult to settle on which NVR software to choose. There are lots of alternatives; most are rarely known. HikVision has one (I am still not clear on if there is a free version), Blue Iris, Genius Vision, etc. Some are better suited for different scenarios than others. It is probably worth compiling a list (as other places have kind of done) but making it definitive with target scenarios, hidden costs, cross platform support, etc. :)

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can test it from any Windows pc... You don't need to touch the security pc...
You would think so, but of course I had to go and complicate things... My Security PC has two NIC cards. One to attach to my regular network (the 192.168.1.x) and a second NIC that connects to my Security side (192.168.100.x). This isolates the traffic from the security cameras from my house network, and allows me to feel a bit more secure from any outside access attempts. (at least that is my thinking).

The Second NIC connects to a POE switch located in a remote room, with all camera wires coming from that location to the cameras.

(hope this makes sense) It really is a clean system for separating the two networks/traffic. I am thinking the easiest thing to do is to just get the additional capability onto my Security PC so I don't have to do heroics to test the cameras.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Speaker out problem solved. I am embarrassed to admit, but the issue was a bad wire. The "speaker out" wire from the block was stripped back, but was too short to make a proper contact.

I removed the camera, put it back on the bench and ran the tests. I removed the two wires (ground and sound out), re-stripped longer and then reconnected... and i'll be damned if it didn't work! Re-installed on the front door and sure enough, all working fine.

Smythey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a cheap Ebay clone of the VideoSecu MIC01. As I use PoE, it's not convenient to run a 12v adapter for the mike but I just cut off the power connector for the mike and soldered on a battery connector.

At the moment I'm just using a rechargeable 9v PP3 battery as it's small and fits in the same IP55 box where I have stuffed all the cables/connectors. It all works well. If the battery doesn't last long enough, I'll just switch to 6xAAA rechargeables which will also fit inside the IP55 box.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using a cheap Ebay clone of the VideoSecu MIC01. As I use PoE, it's not convenient to run a 12v adapter for the mike but I just cut off the power connector for the mike and soldered on a battery connector.

At the moment I'm just using a rechargeable 9v PP3 battery as it's small and fits in the same IP55 box where I have stuffed all the cables/connectors. It all works well. If the battery doesn't last long enough, I'll just switch to 6xAAA rechargeables which will also fit inside the IP55 box.
Couldn't you just have taken another POE slot on your router and used something like this to provide it power? That way you never need to go back and change batteries.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mrslother

n3wb
Reaction score
mrslother,

Thanks for this post. Quite useful. Couple of questions:

1) Where did you get the RCA connector? The best I could is here, but I still like yours better.
2) How did you provide it power at your installation site? Did you have to run electricity so you could plug in the 12 volt adapter?

Thanks.
Answers:
1) I purchased the RCA connector either from my local Home Depot or Radio Shack (I can't recall which one).

2) I ended up not using the powered microphones because of the need to pull a power cord to the camera. My hopes was that the PoE would be sufficient to power
both the camera and microphone. However there was not enough current. So, instead, I purchased simple electret condenser microphones (similar to http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Capsule-Electret-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00FGV867M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1437634493&sr=8-4&keywords=electret+microphone).
I soldered them to wires which feed into the audio-in block. I then heat shrunk them to protect the wiring and make them more ridgid.
They have been working great ever since!

DarkSim

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My update:
I got the 2732F-IS' audio working today. In my case there were several wires hanging loose (no header block). 4 were for the alarm signals but the rest were audio related:

• RIn/Mic+ (presumably Line In Right or Mic- [maybe Mic Right?])
  • LIn/Mic- (presumably Line In Left or Mic- [maybe Mic Left?])
  • Mic G (presumably Mic Ground)
  • LineR (presumably Line Out Right)
  • LineL (presumably Line Out Left)
  • Line Ground (presumably Line Out Ground)

After much experimentation I got the audio working just fine using MicIn settings (no audio amp). I used a standard computer microphone (it looks a lot like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111208). It is has a stereo jack but I suspect it only has one microphone (some data specs on the net suggest it is mono as well). I tied RIn/Mic+ to the microphone's right channel, LIn/Mic- to the mic's left channel and Mic G to the microphone's ground. I tried mixing Mic+ & Mic- and tried just Mic+ and just Mic-; they all seemed to work the same.

My camera's audio configuration is set as:

• Advanced Config --> Video/Audio-->Video-->Video Type = Video & Audio
  • Advanced Config --> Video/Audio-->Audio-->Audio Encoding = G.711uLaw
  • Advanced Config --> Video/Audio-->Audio-->Audio Input = MicIn
  • Advanced Config --> Video/Audio-->Audio-->Input Volume = 100
  • Advanced Config --> Video/Audio-->Audio-->Environmental Noise Filter = On (Yes, this really helped cut out background noise)

I have verified that even though the audio wire's labels suggest that the camera is capable of left and right channels, the outputted audio stream from the camera is indeed mono (regardless of audio encoding).

What I wanted to do was to tap the power from the camera's power plug to power my amp-microphone (described above in one of my previous postings). I am using PoE to power the camera and it ends up that the power plug appears to be tapped directly to the power lines in the Ethernet cable. Therefore I was able to detect power from the plug (multimeter showed ~8 volts). Even though 8v is in my powered microphone's voltage range (6-12v) it didn't work (maybe not enough current??). If I used a separate power brick to supply power to the microphone it worked well (when I changed audio input to LineIn). But I don't have the luxury of pulling the power cable to this location.

So at this point I have successfully enabled audio to my 2732F-IS but using the same configuration & microphone I am unable to get the 2632F-IS units to work. I am concluding that they are faulty cameras and will be sending them back.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this.
can you tell me the colours of the wires U used to connect your mic? I also have a strain of wires, however, I dont have any labels on it.

jjlee777

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed a DS-2CD2632F-IS camera and it has the same audio in/out terminals on a pigtail. I used a 12V externally powered microphone and it's working great. I had to go into the camera's audio settings and select "line" instead of "mic".
I have not used the audio out option.
I used this mic- http://www.cctvimports.com/accessories-audio-c-1_286/apb001-add-on-microphone-p-620
I see that they have APB002 and APB003 but don't sell the APB001 anymore.

For the 12V power, since I have the cameras running POE, is there a way to tap into the existing Ethernet cable to power the microphone?

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see that they have APB002 and APB003 but don't sell the APB001 anymore.

For the 12V power, since I have the cameras running POE, is there a way to tap into the existing Ethernet cable to power the microphone?

That is a very good question, unfortunately I do not know the answer.

My installation was outside my front door, so I ran the power cord down the inside of that exterior wall, and put a plug at the bottow (on the inside wall of the house). Gave me the power I needed to be sure.

jjlee777

n3wb
Reaction score
In your testing, did you find an adequate passive microphone for sounds 10' far?

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your testing, did you find an adequate passive microphone for sounds 10' far?
Yes, definitely. I picks up conversation as people approach the door (20' away) but works great at the regular 10' to 5' distances.

jjlee777

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. I picks up conversation as people approach the door (20' away) but works great at the regular 10' to 5' distances.
Which one did you use where you didn't have power? My location doesn't make it easy to run power to the mic.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which one did you use where you didn't have power? My location doesn't make it easy to run power to the mic.
Unfortunately, the only camera I hooked up with a mic and speakers (front door camera), I did run power to. So I figure the microphone is grabbing power from the camera itself, since all I did was plug the mic into the connector marked "microphone".

It may not be easy, but I bet you will be happy if you do run an external power source to a place near the camera.

I have not tried it on any of my POE cameras to see if they get enough power from the RJ45 itself. If the camera has a microphone jack built in, and is designated as a POE device, my guess is that it will have enough power for the mic. Sorry that I don't have that experience to provide. Maybe someone else did a POE set up.

jjlee777

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally figured it out! I now have a powered microphone working with my Hikvision cameras all through a single PoE cable. Since I'm running ethernet to the cameras, you might as well use PoE to power them and it makes sense that you should be able to power a microphone also. I haven't installed outside, but I am planning on hiding the microphone behind the camera so that it is not exposed to the weather. In my initial testing, even with the microphone hidden behind the camera, the microphone is so sensitive that it picks up audio easily within 10-15 feet and with the setting at 50 level. I will update the post with more pictures and sample video with audio after installed.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here's what I bought for the setup.

FireKingdom 5pack 42cm CCTV Security Camera Inline Mini Microphone with RCA Output Cable
WiFi Texas WT-GAF-12v12w 802.3af Gigabit Poe Splitter with 12 Volts output
uxcell 5 Pcs Speaker RCA Wire to AV Phono Male RCA Connector Jack Adapter

Attachments

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
jjlee777, congratulations on figuring this one out! I have two cameras with microphones, one has a speaker also (for two way communication). It really works to capture conversations. Once, a couple of "would be vandals", looked up and said, "Oh shit, they have a camera" and ran off. Another time, a guy peaked in a window and saw me cleaning a rifle and said (as he was darting away) "Muthu F'er has a rifle on the table".

Those are really the only funny recordings I have heard, but they really are classics.

My best "two-way" story is when we were traveling in Florida and my phone text message chimed. It was my front door camera. I opened it up and talked to the people at the front door and let them know we were not interested. They had no idea we were not home.

Reaction score
What kind of speaker do you guys use for the 2 way? I'm looking at doing something similar to what bigbadw did. I would like to have some kind of speaker for doing the 2-way. I'm just having trouble finding an active speaker suited for this and was hoping somebody might share the active speaker or speaker+amplifier setup they are using with the hikvision cameras.