Help with system selection - 8 planned cameras

Reaction score
I have recently hardwired the entire location for Ethernet using Cat6 and the next project will be video surveillance. Most of the cameras will be outside under an eve in the soffit. I would like them to be as least intrusive as possible, so I'm thinking about using dome cameras. I think IP cameras is a no brainer at this point, but I'm open to discussion. I'm plenty comfortable with network settings/configurations etc... I'm thinking a 16ch system may be the way to go so that I can add more down the road if I need.

I haven't decided if I want them to record all the time or to simply capture based on motion.

There are no runs longer than 200ft.

Any good suggestions on systems or just cameras etc...? Is it worth it to use just cameras and make your own NVR or is it better to get the NVR system with the cameras?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

I forgot to mention cost. I'm not trying to buy cameras that are obscenely expensive, but I'm looking for a good balance between cost and quality. I've got no problem spending 100-150 a camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes in he wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read study plan before spending money.

Dome cameras , get dirty, reflect light, not recommended. Go with turrets.

Reaction score
Wow, thank you very much. That was precisely the info I was looking for to further my research on this endeavor. I will be reading through the cliff notes as well and likely be back here with more questions as they arise. I have a foscam that I got a few years back and remember setting up Blue Iris on a VM as well. It seemed to work really well at that time, so I look forward to getting back in to that software.