Help with TFTP

xWOLKx

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning everybody,
I wrote some days ago for the problem with my cam, but I would like to know if someone found the same problem who I have.

I have an International Hikvision ipcam, Box is white/red, serial is clean. I'm pretty sure isn't chinese.
Don't know if american or european, probably european.
I think that my error was try to upgrade it with american firmware, trough web interface, and after hard reset it stop working.

I think that TFTP could resolve the problem, I downloaded firmware from European Portal and launched TFTP but it doesn't complete the procedure.
I have pc set to 192.0.0.128, switch set to 192.0.0.2 and cam. Both are connected on the switch.Subnet is 255.0.0.0.

After I launch program I have this:

As you could seen the program never reaches the success operation as shown in the picture attached with program:

It never reaches system update completed also if I waiting half an hour. Is my fault?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a bit harsh, but if you re-read your post you will realise that because there is no useful detail provided, anyone who responds would only do so by using pure guesswork.
I have an International Hikvision ipcam,
Model, firmware version, serial number etc There are loads and loads of possibilities.
I downloaded firmware from European Portal and launched TFTP but it doesn't complete the procedure.
Loads and loads of firmware on that site, many different revisions, for different models and series of cameras.

My guess is - you have the wrong firmware for your camera.

xWOLKx

n3wb
Reaction score
My camera is DS-2CD2142FWD-I, I download firmware from the link you kindly posted yesterday:
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

I tried the first 5.3.1, the last 5.4.4, the original 5.3.8 (both version).
Always send and never complete.
In the attached pdf there is the model of my cam. I dont understand...

After this cam appear on SADP with

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In the attached pdf there is the model of my cam. I dont understand...
I don't see an attached PDF.

The SADP status showing firmware version '4.0.8' suggests the camera is in the 'min-system recovery mode' which it enters when incompatible firmware has been loaded.
For a DS-2CD2142FWD-I International version I would have expected that the firmware from where you linked to would work OK.

Here is something to try - though I am not sure if it would work with this camera.
After the tftp updater 'Completed file ..' message, leave the camera powered on, and try using a telnet client (Windows would do) to connect to 192.0.0.64
Then, if you get a '#' prompt, use the command dmesg to see if any useful info comes up.
Also if you get a '#' prompt, use the command 'update' and see what complaints it generates.

xWOLKx

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see an attached PDF.

The SADP status showing firmware version '4.0.8' suggests the camera is in the 'min-system recovery mode' which it enters when incompatible firmware has been loaded.
For a DS-2CD2142FWD-I International version I would have expected that the firmware from where you linked to would work OK.

Here is something to try - though I am not sure if it would work with this camera.
After the tftp updater 'Completed file ..' message, leave the camera powered on, and try using a telnet client (Windows would do) to connect to 192.0.0.64
Then, if you get a '#' prompt, use the command dmesg to see if any useful info comes up.
Also if you get a '#' prompt, use the command 'update' and see what complaints it generates.
With telnet I have this error
Error while connecting to the host - could not open a connection to host on port 23

I could try with another regione firmware?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With telnet I have this error
OK. With some of the bootloader/update programs, telnet and ftp are left active after a firmware download.
If it had been on yours, it may have been able to provide some info on what the problem is.
As a long shot - also try telnet to 192.168.1.64

xWOLKx

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. With some of the bootloader/update programs, telnet and ftp are left active after a firmware download.
If it had been on yours, it may have been able to provide some info on what the problem is.
As a long shot - also try telnet to 192.168.1.64
Nope, I tried telnet with both IP, before/after restart cam, but always error.
I can ping 192.168.1.64 but nothing appends if try to open on web browser :/

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't know what more to suggest.
With the camera DS-2CD2142FWD-I as described and the serial number as shown by SADP, I would have expected the tftp updater to work with the non-CN firmware you linked to.
The next level problem solving could be connecting a USB to TTL serial convertor to the serial console connector on the system board.
Unless anyone else has any ideas ?

xWOLKx

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no problem to buy com/usb adapter because I probably will use it in future.
But--- Is there a guide to set firmware trough adapter??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For normal Hikvision IP cameras and NVRs you will need a couple of things.
Search your favourite on-line store for:
PL2303 USB to TTL Serial adaptor (Commonly used for Arduino)
Micro ZH JST connector 4-pin 1.5mm (with wires).

Connecting it up is pretty easy - quite a lot of posts here on the topic - and the first thing that should become evident from the serial console is why the camera isn't booting properly. That should then determine the recovery actions.