Help with viewing NVR using WAN IP for both on LAN and off.

Reaction score
We've installed a few different brands of NVRs over the years, HIK, Dahura, Samsung, but this is a first for us using a Raysharp budget NVR for a client.

Usually we setup all NVRs via port forwarding and the clients either have a static IP or we setup a DDNS for them. Either way, when we enter the info into whatever app, the camera feed will work while off the LAN on a mobile network and also via WiFi on the LAN. No problems.

Now, for whatever reason, with this Raysharp NVR, we're not able to do that. I can enter the WAN IP or the DDNS and the cam view works fine when on the mobile network... but then we connect via WiFi onto the LAN, it will not connect to the NVR. Instead, we have to add a "second device" and use the LAN IP of the NVR for the app to connect.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks all!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Port forwarding and using p2p cloud is not recommended, as it opens up your network to hackers. I would recommend you buy a good Asus router that has the openVPN client, and use that. follow the link below.

Works great! I use this method myself for my home NVR and the openVPN app on my phone.

Reaction score
My clients won't go for that. The reason they went with this budget NVR in the first place was to save $, they won't want to spend the extra on a new router and the labor cost to set it up.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now, for whatever reason, with this Raysharp NVR, we're not able to do that. I can enter the WAN IP or the DDNS and the cam view works fine when on the mobile network... but then we connect via WiFi onto the LAN, it will not connect to the NVR. Instead, we have to add a "second device" and use the LAN IP of the NVR for the app to connect.
Does the app provide a place for both the LAN IP and WAN/hostname? If so, do both places include the forwarded port?
For example: (LAN) and (WAN)

Reaction score
That would be ideal... but no. It only has 1 IP location. The app is called RXCamview if you want to take a look at it. It's in both Play and App Store. Another note, the HIK ivms4500 app and the Dahura app, neither have 2 options. They all only have the single IP box in their apps.

I'm wondering if there's something in the routers that we can configure to direct the LAN connection to the NVRs IP by looking for the port, just like the WAN does?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would ask the ISP why that is happening, especially if the ISP is supplying the router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be ideal... but no. It only has 1 IP location. The app is called RXCamview if you want to take a look at it. It's in both Play and App Store. Another note, the HIK ivms4500 app and the Dahura app, neither have 2 options. They all only have the single IP box in their apps.

I'm wondering if there's something in the routers that we can configure to direct the LAN connection to the NVRs IP by looking for the port, just like the WAN does?
I read a dozen of the lower-rated reviews and they all say the same thing (in so many words), either local (LAN) or remote (WAN), not both.
In all fairness, I have never used it, so tonight if I can arrange it I'll download it for my iPhone and see for myself, as some reviewers have a hard time with networking.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

This is a common issue with modem/router combos many of which do no support nat loopback. This has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of the NVR or app.
You should also inform your poor clients that port forwarding their NVR has now exposed not only their video feeds but their entire network to being hacked.

And folks, this is why forums like this exist, because even if you are a network novice, with several hours of reading and research you can do way better than this. Imaging actually paying someone who presumably claims to be technically proficient enough to take your money for this "service".

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually we setup all NVRs via port forwarding and the clients either have a static IP or we setup a DDNS for them.
Ouch! You really need to get some education and training about cyber security before you get sued by your clients for putting their whole LAN and associated data at risk of compromise.
It's a totally lazy and risky thing to do when there are straightforward and safe alternative ways to providing remote access.

Reaction score
So other then buying an ASUS router and going that route... or using the p2p through the NVR and the camera feed being slow and choppy or the p2p servers going down entirely for days on end.... what are those "straightforward and safe alternative ways to providing remote access."?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
using the p2p through the NVR
These have had multiple security issues and vulnerabilities too.
Best avoided.

what are those "straightforward and safe alternative ways to providing remote access."?
Setting up a VPN for secure remote access. It's the professional way to achieve this.
Lots of forum members have done this successfully, there are numerous posts and threads on the topic.
Example : VPN Primer for Noobs