Here is my BI setup with 30 Hikvision cams

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had to Google it 'cause I don't use it and I don't know...

Mainstream and Substream – What is the difference? – MaxxOne

From Lorex:

"Mainstream: is the primary video feed. Mainstream provides the highest video quality, and is the stream the DVR / NVR uses when saving footage to the internal hard disk drive (HDD). Mainstream settings can be adjusted to increase or decrease recording resolution. These settings will impact recording file size and available recording time.

Substream: is the secondary video feed. Substream provides a lower quality video stream, and is typically used to stream video to computers, smartphones, or tablets over the Internet. This allows you to reduce streaming quality for live or remote viewing, while maintaining higher quality on the mainstream for HDD recording and storage."​

Some here use it substreams with the Blue Iris VMS, but I never paid attention when they mentioned it.

HTH!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to chime in: I mainly use i5-3470 or a slightly better i5-3570 on my system builds. I buy these processors for the relatively low cost and lots of availability in the HP Compaq computers.

On my home setup I run a i5-3570
I am running 8 cameras: 390MP/sec and my CPU usage hovers at 60-65%

On my i5-3470 setups my 4 cameras running 4mp @ 15FPS hover at around 30%

CPU Usage.jpg

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most modern i5 desktop processors are more powerful than that xeon and that is before using quicksync which that processor does not have. The only way he was able to archive that number is by using low resolution streams and likely "limit decoding" as well.
i5 is a meaningless term. What is the exact model of your processor. how many cameras are your trying to run and at what resolution and frame rate.
Yes, as mentioned i set it up for "low resolution" because obviously there's no way CPU will handle so many cameras at above mid resolution. However; I don't have "imit decoding" option on it is off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as mentioned i set it up for "low resolution" because obviously there's no way CPU will handle so many cameras at above mid resolution. However; I don't have "imit decoding" option on it is off.
what is "low resolution"