Here is my BI setup with 30 Hikvision cams

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
30 Hikvision cams (+5 in a month) @10fps per cam with low resolution Capture.PNG
Running Windows Server 2012R
Xeon E3-1220 V3, 3.10gHz
14 days of continuous audio/video recording for hours of operation, off hours motion detection
I am also running EzMaster on it to monitor 34 EnGenius Access Points, I have limited space but in near future I will move EzMaster somewhere else.
So far never had any problems. One thing though I haven't checked if this CPU supports hardware acceleration yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am super impressed with the CPU usage. Just started setting up an Intel Core i5 with 8 GB Ram, and I'm at 85 - 90% CPU. That Xeon running 30 cams at 21% CUP is miraculous. Followed all the CPU optimizing tips, but still running hot. Nice work!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am super impressed with the CPU usage. Just started setting up an Intel Core i5 with 8 GB Ram, and I'm at 85 - 90% CPU. That Xeon running 30 cams at 21% CUP is miraculous. Followed all the CPU optimizing tips, but still running hot. Nice work!
Most modern i5 desktop processors are more powerful than that xeon and that is before using quicksync which that processor does not have. The only way he was able to archive that number is by using low resolution streams and likely "limit decoding" as well.
i5 is a meaningless term. What is the exact model of your processor. how many cameras are your trying to run and at what resolution and frame rate.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
kelly Murphy
you have a problem

1)Define your PC in detail.
2) is windows a clean install with only BI runing as a service
3) what type of cameras model #, frame rate, iframe interval, bit rate, cbr or vrb....
4) in Bi are you record direct to disk

In the wiki have you read Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

Reaction score
Most modern i5 desktop processors are more powerful than that xeon and that is before using quicksync which that processor does not have. The only way he was able to archive that number is by using low resolution streams and likely "limit decoding" as well.
i5 is a meaningless term. What is the exact model of your processor. how many cameras are your trying to run and at what resolution and frame rate.
Its an Intel Core i%-3470 CPU running at 3.2GHz System has 8 GB of Ram. I'm running 2 (yes two) Amcrest cameras.

That said, thank you for asking the right question. The camera resolution settings were both at 2688 X 1520 by default and I was running between 90 and 95% CPU. Your question made me visit the camera settings and adjust resolution down to 2304 X 1296. Current CPU is between 10 - 15%. Thanks for that. While that seems obvious in hindsight, and to those more experienced, I didn't pick up on it. Thank you again for the direction. Still getting familiar with which settings are controlled by BI and what are in the camera.

Reaction score
kelly Murphy
you have a problem

1)Define your PC in detail.
2) is windows a clean install with only BI runing as a service
3) what type of cameras model #, frame rate, iframe interval, bit rate, cbr or vrb....
4) in Bi are you record direct to disk

In the wiki have you read Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
Yes, wiki was the first place I visited. Completed all tips and suggestions from downgrading drivers to turning off driver updates. Recording direct to disk. Clean install on a freshly reset Windows 10 Pro PC. The only two installed applications are Blue iris and the Amcrest camera configuration utility.
Amcrest cameras are the IP4M-1026EB H.264H 2304 X 1296, Frame rate 30, Bit rate CBR Recording direct to an SSD Just changed resolution down from 2688 X 1520and that cut my CPU usage in half, but still as much as 45 - 55% CPU. Know there's something wrong, and I've been picking away at it for a few days. Joined the forum today to try to get a different issue resolved, and noticed screen shots of enviable CPU usage.

Kelly

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kelly murphy

BI does not change any settings in the camera. Even if there is a field in BI for a value for the camera (frame rate) it does absolute nothing but provide you information.

Please provide a screen shot of your cameras setting screen.

reduce your frame rate to 15 fps, this is more than enough for a security system. You are not recording a hollywood movie.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Disabling the Substream won't help your CPU but I always operated under the (possibly bad) assumption that it lightens the camera's overhead and, besides, if one isn't using it why enable it...same with camera audio.

Set your VBR Image Quality the the highest setting available.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking good.

1) On the Bi options, camera,do you have hardware acceleration select for Intel. Please keep track of your memory, if it leaks you may need to update the driver.
2) On each of the cameras on the video you can check the "limit decoding unless required" . This may have negative side... so keep an i on strange behavior

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
looking good.

1) On the Bi options, camera,do you have hardware acceleration select for Intel. Please keep track of your memory, if it leaks you may need to update the driver.
2) On each of the cameras on the video you can check the "limit decoding unless required" . This may have negative side... so keep an i on strange behavior
I would not use limit decoding, it will screw up motion detection.

Reaction score
Okay, I'll watch things for a day and see how it settles out. Already down from high 90s to 20%. Even though that's still quite a bit, I can certainly live with it.