Hi all, new and looking for knowledge :)

Reaction score
I started with kuna cameras first one in the front porch then one in the back porch, in order to catch things like package thieves. I had to pay about $175 each for those cameras and then I pay $10 a month for extended download privileges. The things I like about the kuna are the excellent audio, ease of installation, and the fact that nobody knows there's a camera there. The main thing I don't like is that I miss a lot of things because it's supposedly motion activated but I can be here and watching someone walk right past and it doesn't pick it up on the Kuna.

Next I got a Reolink Argus 2, for back by the alley garage, where there is no power. I like the night vision on that, just, again, issues with motion detection only remain.

The past year we have started getting some more serious crime in my neighborhood, and now I would like a 24/7 solution. I want to get a system mounted to the outside of my house, that has good audio as well, good night vision, that I don't need to pay a monthly fee for, and that I can still get motion alerts. Also, where I live, can get down to -35F in the winters (-37C), and up to 105F in the summer (41C) so that's a factor, that I need something that is durable in those extremes.

So, still searching. Sounds like PoE with NVR is the way to go, but I'm trying to figure out the best option for about $1,000 total - I'd like 4 cameras and at least 8 channels on the NVR...

So now I'm searching your site, what a treasure trove of info!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..I'd like 4 cameras and at least 8 channels on the NVR...

So now I'm searching your site, what a treasure trove of info!
Welcome Irene,

Plan for more than 4 cameras.. if you have a good sized home / property get a 16 port NVR / switch even if you plan to have 8 cameras - that way you can always add 1-2 more.