Hi .... Boy Do I Need Help Quickly!

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Let me get right to the point - I need HELP!

I belong to a church with a private school and joined the security team. The teams mission is to make our community facility safer. Obviously, recent school shootings have everyone on edge and wanting whatever can be done to make places of worship and schools safer. Our goal is not just shootings but general safety of all crimes. Don't want this to get political but we are putting in for a grant and required to list specific needs and wants. The security team I'm on would like a security camera setup and I've been charged with getting something on paper "by Monday evening!"

I know little about all this but know I would like Blue Iris as my software. Heard great things and the package is dirt cheap compared to what some other professional services charge (ongoing charges). This is something that will be done in-house to lower the cost. There are so many other things we need and costs are getting really expensive quickly (fobs, locks, bullet proof glass, lighting, etc.).

Is anyone welling to help by putting a dream package together? Okay, hold on! The dream can only go to $3,000 dollars. We have network cable laid (CAT5) or can easily pull it for POE. We only need to start with 6 cameras. Only caveat I have is that I want a system that will allow future growth potential. If I had to guess, I would say 20 cameras absolute max down the road.

Not knowing "specifically" what to get, I'm guessing as to parts I would need:

Blue Iris software, computer, display, surge protector, POE switch, cat 5 cable and connectors, and cameras. Maybe more???

Anyone willing to help? I really am desperate here!

Thanks for takeing the time to read all this!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome User,

The cliff notes are your friend... check it out, and also look for the link to the PoE switch list.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Instead of surge protector get a decent UPS, 1500VA rated one is what I got.

I like junction boxes / wall mounts. If you're getting a starlight turret look for the PFA130E model or PFB203W or PFB204W wall mounts.

Misc stuff
Silicone Caulk, Screws, Dielectric gel, misc tools to help pull,... iirc we have a list in the cliff notes on these items

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. You're on the right track.

Have a look here:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Specifically there is a page on Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris and also a large set of notes to help you get familiar with stuff IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Dahua Starlight cameras are very popular here. The two you'll find referenced most often are the varifocal turret and the fixed-focus turret.

Here is the varifocal: Aliexpress.com : Buy Starlight 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
This is equivalent, but with a different appearance: Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Here is the fixed-focus version: Aliexpress.com : Buy New Arriving IP Camera 2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW4231EM ASE,free DHL shipping fee from Reliable ip camera 2mp suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

You'll notice these are only 2 megapixel cameras and wonder why to choose those when there are 4 and 8 megapixel available around the same price, and the answer is that 2 megapixel starlight cameras are much better at low light. They're also easier for Blue Iris to handle because of their lower resolution. If you are not concerned with low-light capabilities, then 8 megapixel cameras are not priced too differently and they would be a good option. I'd recommend the same brand. Same store, even.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As for your BI computer, if you go with 2 megapixel cameras then feel free to buy a used/refurbished i5, at the very least a 3rd-generation but your budget will allow for newer. Handy ebay search links are in the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" wiki page. If you go with higher resolutions then it might be a good idea to choose an i7, again, 3rd-generation at the very least. Note there are some hardware acceleration issues with some of the 8th generation Intel CPUs, but you can work around them if you get 8th gen i7. I'm not so sure about 8th gen i5. There's also a wiki page on that subject: Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the links but I already started reading those and just get lost. Way too many options and research to do. I don't even know what a memory leak is! I looked at new computers and the options just made my head spin. I guess I was hopeing to get maybe a link to something where a recent setup with spcific models of each item were listed. I know that if I found something like that I could then just punch in some 2 to 4 megapixel cameras (fixed) and be done with it. Grant paperwork due soon - I'm screwed! I voluteered seeing the forced assignment comeing at me - bad move. I know nothing about grants. I wonder if I just fake it I'll mess the whole thing up. (Stomach ache comeing on.)

I do appreciate the reponses anyways. Thanks guys.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..spcific models of each item were listed. I know that if I found something like that I could then just punch in some 2 to 4 megapixel cameras (fixed) and be done with it. Grant paperwork due soon - I'm screwed! I voluteered seeing the forced assignment comeing at me - bad move. I know nothing about grants. I wonder if I just fake it I'll mess the whole thing up. ...Thanks guys.
Hi User

This is what I picked up - you can modify as needed
( Andy empiretecandy here can give you better numbers, and a newer model numbers )

1) Dahua OEM NVR NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - est $400
2) Western Digital Purple HDD 4TB - est < $140
3) Dahua OEM 2MP varifocal cameras - IPC-HDW5231xx - est < $180 each
4) Dahua OEM junction box - new model PFA130-E - est <$20 each
5) Box of Cat5e from monoprice 1000 ft - est < $100

6) Tools - est $100+
7) UPS - est <$160

Use this as your start and don't worry - you can figure it out.
Get as many junction boxes as your cameras - and remember this is just the asking for money part, so you can adjust later.
If you want you can go to Dell and find how much they charge for a new i5/i7 PC and used that in the grant request - then when you get it you can look for a used one and save money.

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi User

This is what I picked up - you can modify as needed
( Andy empiretecandy here can give you better numbers, and a newer model numbers )

1) Dahua OEM NVR NVR5216-16P-4KS2 - est $400
2) Western Digital Purple HDD 4TB - est < $140
3) Dahua OEM 2MP varifocal cameras - IPC-HDW5231xx - est < $180 each
Thanks @mat200 ! This a real help. Starts me out for with some tangible items. Hopefully "Andy" @EMPIRETECANDY kicks in.