Hi from Aus - looking for recommendations

Cranzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been slowly browsing around and reading forums about which cameras I should get.
Initially from reviews and suggestion I saw the Hikvision ds-2cd2385fwd-i was the camera to get, but more recent forum posts - it seems Duhua seems more recommended.

Here is a 3d Model of my house 3D Model
I am on a corner block, so no house on the right of mine, just a fence.
Also to note, there is a steetlight on the right side of the property, so always well lit and that area.

So I am thinking initially to get 3 cameras in the front (Garage, Front door, Right hand side) and 1 or 2 for the right hand side of property. Later on I would want to get one or 2 cameras for the backyard (which is dark during the evenings)

I have a spare i7 pc with 16gb Ram which I can use to run Blue Iris or similar software (would I still need NVR then?? )

Which setup/cameras would you recommend (also lens size)?

Here are some pictures as well:

Front of the house (taken from street)

Front (from the right hand side (street pole in picture)

Front (left hand side)

Here is a picture of the right hand side of the property, standing at the back looking down towards the street (fence on the left)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Cranzy

Yes a lot of us have picked up Dahua OEM 2MP starlight models, and now members are reviewing some of the newer Dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ models. So definitely look at the various reviews.

Remember to determine what you think is your threats. In the USA we see a lot of package / mail thieves with the rise of online commerce / e-commerce. Also we see a lot of "door checkers" looking to steal from cars they find unlocked. So, for me I want to have those areas covered well and have any thief walk through at least 2 difference camera's FOVs.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
In Australia Hikvision Cameras are very popular on forums like Whirlpool.
IMO Australian pricing and availability has an influence on the Australian preference for Hikvision.
I did my research a few years ago and at that stage had no preference either way. I just knew it was down to Hikvision or Dahua.

I came here and read for weeks. There was no wiki then, but all the information was here. One of best discoveries was the super amazing Dahua supplier @EMPIRETECANDY (after this, my fate was sealed). :p

It's a great community here, and the depth of knowledge is exceptional. Either way, your on the right path to getting a great setup for your situation. No one here will let you buy garbage.

Reaction score
Why are people going Duhua over hikvision. Or just a preference thing?
Speaking from when I first joined the forums, the Dahua cameras were well reviewed, and available from a trusted vendor. At the time it seemed like the Hikvision options might be more difficult to get support and a lot of gray market options with hacked firmwares.

Now that IPCT is selling and offering firmware support etc for Hikvisions I wouldn't sweat buying either on these forums. They appear to be very competitive with one another.