High CPU overnight

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only use two profiles - Active & Night. Night is only used for the 3 indoor cameras so I went into each camera settings, chose night and checked and it's all d2d

If any of you guys don't mind, I can open up a zoom or team viewer too for you to take a look

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also when I do bring up the BI console, GPU does jump from 0/1% to about 15% - doesn't that show BI is using the GPU?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The storage screen shot does not show the c:\BI\Stored drive, it should.

To add columns to the task manager process, right click the column heading.

process_gpu.jpgBI_status.jpg

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I spoke to Ken, the author of BI, he said the software doesn't understand NTFS links and hence status won't show my 2nd HDD correctly. However, I checked c:\bi\stored folder and it does contain 5.85gb of files including ones from today

Those options in task manager are greyed out for me. Do you know of any alternative software to task manager i can download and check for these stats?

1587335999211.png

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also camera video is retaining the DirectX VA2 setting. Should I change all cameras to that and see if it reduces cpu %

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran GPU-Z and with BI console shut, it shows 1% load and with the console open, it's about 9-12%

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is suppose to be a clean windows install from the "microsoft media creation tool" what is SQL server doing on the machine, there is also other stuff on the machine that should not be there.

Start over delete everything and do a clean install, Then add Blue Iris. Nothing else.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my primary machine - if Blue Iris is only supposed to run about 20%, there is plenty of processing power for basic Chrome and a few other Windows apps. SQL server is being run by the Veeam backup agent and I turned it off but it made no impact to the CPU

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is my primary machine - if Blue Iris is only supposed to run about 20%, there is plenty of processing power for basic Chrome and a few other Windows apps. SQL server is being run by the Veeam backup agent and I turned it off but it made no impact to the CPU
You are asking for trouble when you do this. This is in fact not a clean windows install.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know it's not the most ideal situation but i can't afford to have two computers running in this household as I live in a city with the highest per kWh cost (we pay 52 cents per kWH compared to the national average of about 13). My only choice if I can't get this to work would be to move to Dahua NVR even though it's interface and mobile app aren't as good but it's reliability is stellar compared to BI according to many posts on these forums

This is a clean windows install, there are however few more apps working alongside BI on it but even after I turn them off, it makes no difference to BI's CPU usage and I've tested that for 4-6 hours at a time

Talking about the specific issue, do you folks think BI isn't using GPU based on all the screenshots I posted and the fact that it switches camera settings back to None from Intel? If that's the case, one of the updates possibly messed it up as in the past, it would stick to Intel

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua NVR even though it's interface and mobile app aren't as good but it's reliability is stellar compared to BI according to many posts on these forums
This is a false statement. First there are many many posts with issues with Dahua NVR's, from crashing, rebooting, not recording etc. Just read that section of the forum. More importantly, this is a help forum, so you are getting posts from people who have issues. Without knowing the total number of dahua users and the total number of BI users that are on the forum and whether or not they post, there is no way to know based on post count. I can tell you that I have over 20 blue iris machines and they are all 100 percent stable with zero issues. This is because they are all standalone machines and i dont update them every 5 minuets. Since you dont want to do it right, buy the nvr and call it a day.

Additionally, there is no way your electric rates are 52c a kwh. Also consider that you would be paying "extra" on the system that is running your other software at a presumably low load, 20-30w if that.

Last edited: