High CPU use on v4.5.0.0 x64 ?

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just upgraded to BI v4.5.0.0 yesterday and since then I've noticed it has been hitting 100% CPU usage. Used to be hovering around 75 to 80%.

Can't see anything in the release notes that would affect it.

Anyone seeing the same issue?

CRS1

n3wb
Reaction score
I updated to 4.5.0.0 x64. No issues for me. Running at 4% CPU. i7 3.4GHz with 16GB of RAM

6 cameras.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, how I would LOVE to get 4%... maybe I need to upgrade my hardware. LOL

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.60Ghz with 8GB memory

Only 5 cams!

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
My CPU usage is normal on 4.5.0.0 x64, with 22 cameras.
Please advise on your system. I would appreciate what resolution and frame rate your using as well as what CPU and what your normal usage is.
I have 15 Hikvision cams running, no hardware acceleration, and it runs at 90%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please advise on your system. I would appreciate what resolution and frame rate your using as well as what CPU and what your normal usage is.
I have 15 Hikvision cams running, no hardware acceleration, and it runs at 90%.
You should tell us what system you are running...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My CPU usage is normal on 4.5.0.0 x64, with 22 cameras.
i7-3770K. 640 Megapixels per second (See this in Blue Iris Status window, Cameras tab). CPU usage is low 40s with a couple of screens pulling jpeg frames out of Blue Iris but with Blue Iris otherwise running in service mode with the GUI closed.

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
You should tell us what system you are running...
I am running 4.5.0.0 X64. i7-2600@3.4. 16 Gb RAM. 1Tb Samsung SSD for Win 8.1pro OS and BI software. Seagate 6Tb Suveilance HDD for storage on 6Gb sata. All cams on Buffalo and Zyxel POE switches. Only recording when triggered.
Cams are all limited to 21 fps. Using BI format direct to disc.

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
i7-3770K. 640 Megapixels per second (See this in Blue Iris Status window, Cameras tab). CPU usage is low 40s with a couple of screens pulling jpeg frames out of Blue Iris but with Blue Iris otherwise running in service mode with the GUI closed.
Thanks. Maybe I'll try running as a service.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running 4.5.0.0 X64. i7-2600@3.4. 16 Gb RAM. 1Tb Samsung SSD for Win 8.1pro OS and BI software. Seagate 6Tb Suveilance HDD for storage on 6Gb sata. All cams on Buffalo and Zyxel POE switches. Only recording when triggered.
Cams are all limited to 21 fps. Using BI format direct to disc.
what resolution are the camera set to? Are you remoting into the system or viewing on a local monitor? Are you running the demo or the licensed version?

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
what resolution are the camera set to? Are you remoting into the system or viewing on a local monitor? Are you running the demo or the licensed version?
2688x1520. viewing live on a local monitor. licensed version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2688x1520. viewing live on a local monitor. licensed version.
enable hardware acceleration and you will see much lower numbers..also ensure that direct to disc is enabled for each camera...more than once I have seen folks with many cams miss a few...

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
21fps seems like overkill, but if your system can handle it.

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
enable hardware acceleration and you will see much lower numbers..also ensure that direct to disc is enabled for each camera...more than once I have seen folks with many cams miss a few...
Checked each cam and BI DVR/d2d is set for all. I tried running as service based on what "bp2008" said earlier + I am also running the console to view on local monitor. No change, still high cpu %. In addition to that I checked "Yes (H264)" on hardware acceleration drop down, stopped and restarted both console and service, now no signal from cams. Changed hardware acceleration drop down to "Yes +VideoPostProc", stopped and restarted both console and service, no signal from cams. Do I need to change other settings for the cams when I enable hardware acceleration? Which hardware acceleration should I enable, (which is best)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Checked each cam and BI DVR/d2d is set for all. I tried running as service based on what "bp2008" said earlier + I am also running the console to view on local monitor. No change, still high cpu %. In addition to that I checked "Yes (H264)" on hardware acceleration drop down, stopped and restarted both console and service, now no signal from cams. Changed hardware acceleration drop down to "Yes +VideoPostProc", stopped and restarted both console and service, no signal from cams. Do I need to change other settings for the cams when I enable hardware acceleration? Which hardware acceleration should I enable, (which is best)?
DONT USE VPP... you cannot run as a service, windows 7 and hardware acceleration. Change one.

rdm

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running Win 8.1 pro
OK. Here is what I did to fix some of the issues with high CPU usage:
Changed all cams to 15fps. Found an additional place where a drop down references Hardware Acceleration on the Camera Properties/Video Tab.
Must have that Hardware Decoding drop down tab selected "NO". It is selected "default" by default.
Now I get signal on all cams with Hardware Acceleration selected in "Blue Iris/Options/Cameras/Intel HD Hardware Acceleration/YES (H264).
Disabled two of the cams and I'm running at 71% cpu.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Here is what I did to fix some of the issues with high CPU usage:
Changed all cams to 15fps. Found an additional place where a drop down references Hardware Acceleration on the Camera Properties/Video Tab.
Must have that Hardware Decoding drop down tab selected "NO". It is selected "default" by default.
Now I get signal on all cams with Hardware Acceleration selected in "Blue Iris/Options/Cameras/Intel HD Hardware Acceleration/YES (H264).
Disabled two of the cams and I'm running at 71% cpu.
If you set hardware decoding to off you have disabled hardware acceleration...