High CPU Useage on 22 Camera build system

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the FPS of each camera? I have found that identical cameras right out of the box will not have the same settings... one might be at 15fps and the other might be at 29fps. Logging in (camera itself) and setting each camera to 18fps and then setting each cams BI interface at 15fps has really made a difference in CPU load for me.

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been seeing terrible memory leaks with Windows 10 builds. Not so much on server 16 because it doesn't have Windows store, which is where most of it comes from.

I started with disabling the Super fetch service. Don't disable or attempt to disable Cortana because it will make your start menu and task bar stop working.

Silly question, but is this the only graphics adapter in this system? If there is another card, you may need to disable it in the BIOS so that only the IGP is active.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I am experiencing huge slowdown issues with 4.5.3.7 and have checked whatever I can. Which site are you referring to to try an older update file? Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I am experiencing huge slowdown issues with 4.5.3.7 and have checked whatever I can. Which site are you referring to to try an older update file? Thank you.
On this site...Folks post all the time... Search "Dropbox"...In the future update manually so you have updates saved...

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok, here are the screen shots.

I can get CPU utilization down to about 40% with all 14 cameras connected. I'm looking at a 27" Dell Ultrasync (1080p native resolution) at the moment directly connected to the machine and I'm ranging between 38-43%. Memory utilization is just over 5GB.

I have to connect a 1080p monitor though, and not downscale to 1080p to the Samsung TV. Downscaled 1080p or native 2160p to the Samsung TV directly causes the CPU to get crushed. Native slightly worse, by about 10 percentage points.

I can try an older file tonight when I get home if you want, at the moment I have to run out to do errands.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Went back to 4.5.3.2 and that returned the previous performance. Thank you for your help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the FPS of each camera? I have found that identical cameras right out of the box will not have the same settings... one might be at 15fps and the other might be at 29fps. Logging in (camera itself) and setting each camera to 18fps and then setting each cams BI interface at 15fps has really made a difference in CPU load for me.
This should be the other way around, set in cams FPS to 15, then set the FPS in BI to 18. ;)

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This should be the other way around, set in cams FPS to 15, then set the FPS in BI to 18. ;)
Yep, I just logged in to check and I have BI at 18 and cams at 15... my memory sucks.

I just remember experimenting with various settings until I found what 'seemed' to work best.
Also, resolution - Some of my cams are 2K capable but that is a bit much for my system to handle. All 7 cams at 1920x1080 and my cpu is in the 30% range when all cams are triggered (2 are continuous) I am happy with that.

Then little things that light up that pesky little yellow alert (probably doesn't impact cpu much but the less BI has to work, it has to help) like making sure BI Audio is turned off for cams that don't have audio, PTZ is off for fixed cams, etc. then clear the log and that yellow alert goes away.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would recommend reducing your "Pre-trigger video buffer" on each camera from 10 seconds to down 2-3 seconds. This will help reduce the memory footprint Blue Iris uses as well as CPU usage.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I read a post by @bp2008 about using a video card with BI in this type of situation. Need to make sure Quicksync is not disabled when installing another card but if you really want to use the big Samsung display, you may be able to do so using an external video card to offload the work from the cpu.

Paging @bp2008 !

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would recommend reducing your "Pre-trigger video buffer" on each camera from 10 seconds to down 2-3 seconds. This will help reduce the memory footprint Blue Iris uses as well as CPU usage.
Going down to 3 seconds from 10 seconds had no appreciable effect on CPU utilization, but it did reduce the memory footprint a little bit.

I think I read a post by @bp2008 about using a video card with BI in this type of situation. Need to make sure Quicksync is not disabled when installing another card but if you really want to use the big Samsung display, you may be able to do so using an external video card to offload the work from the cpu.
Are there any PCI Express video cards which use an onboard intel chip with QuickSync and have an HDMI port?

At the moment, I really see no appreciable difference between my dual 6-core XEON R710 server and this i7-7700k machine. I have both running side-by-side, and their CPU and memory utilization is virtually identical. And yes, both have D2D enabled, but the dual Xeon 6-core does not have QuickSync. The dual Xeon does have an NVidia-chipset add-on video card to drive the monitor and is running in 2160p, while the i7-7700k simply uses the on-board Intel 630 on the Gigabyte motherboard and is connected at the moment to a 1080p Dell Ultrasync display.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Going down to 3 seconds from 10 seconds had no appreciable effect on CPU utilization, but it did reduce the memory footprint a little bit.

Are there any PCI Express video cards which use an onboard intel chip with QuickSync and have an HDMI port?

At the moment, I really see no appreciable difference between my dual 6-core XEON R710 server and this i7-7700k machine. I have both running side-by-side, and their CPU and memory utilization is virtually identical. And yes, both have D2D enabled, but the dual Xeon 6-core does not have QuickSync. The dual Xeon does have an NVidia-chipset add-on video card to drive the monitor and is running in 2160p, while the i7-7700k simply uses the on-board Intel 630 on the Gigabyte motherboard and is connected at the moment to a 1080p Dell Ultrasync display.

Something is very wrong with these numbers....
BP was able to use both intel for hardware acceleration and nvidia for display as his mobo allowed this. But you have an underlying problem but dont know what it is...your system should be running 30-40

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wish I knew why I am so special. My 14 cameras are all Hikvision 4MP bullets (w/ the exception of 1 3MP camera). They are all set to 10fps on the camera, with the exception of 4 (Street/License/SWN/NWS) that point towards the street, which are at 20fps, to capture vehicle traffic, which can travel upwards of 60mph on the road. I was planning to add two more cameras this summer as well to cover a few blind spots.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 12 720P cameras capped at 10 fps on an I5-650 (2 cores 4 threads), 8G of memory, Windows 10 64 bit. Runs at about 45% of CPU. Just a benchmark for anyone that is interested.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your frame rates as reported by bi are very low...your bitrates are high...try setting each cam at 4096...are your cams set to h.264 or 265?

DarrenD

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like you are okay now. I just want to add that changing all of my HikVision cameras resolution from 2688x1520 down to 1920x1080 really made a difference in reducing my CPU usage. That's in addition to all the FPS, direct-to-disc and all the other tips recommended in this thread.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could keep the high resolution on the more important ones but I bet you would see at least another 15% drop in CPU load if you changed half of them to 1920x1080

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I packed up the i7-7700 system and am shipping it back (Thank you amazon prime for allowing me to test a config free of charge), saving me $800. The changes made to the bit rate and the other tweaks now have my 14 camera system running on the R710 server at ~30-35% CPU 4-5GB RAM, 2160p resolution to my Samsung Smart TV.